Frequent Contributor
I am looking for some help for my 13 year old daughter. As many of you mothers know the teen years can be very trying. She is being plagued by acne. We are addressing the acne issue but she would like to use some form makeup. We have tried several types of BB cream, concealers, powders and foundations from the drug stores, Everything either turns orange or does not last. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Trusted Contributor

Re: Makeup Help

[ Edited ]

For true color match as well as coverage, I would suggest you invest in the IT CC cream as it stays true to color, wears very well and gives good coverage to anything on the face. It lasts for a very long time because you can even spot cover if you like. It might be the one she could continue with  indefinitely. It has good ingredients as well.

I know you can trust it to keep from turning orange.

Respected Contributor

As far as the acne, I don't know how you are addressing it, but just from my experience: Watch each thing that she starts using to see if her skin reacts to it. It can react to cleanser, moisturizer, makeup, hair products she may use around her face. Make sure that the cleanser or any treatment that she is using isn't drying her skin out. I don't have a lot of luck with drugstore products. They typically break me out. I do use Revlon CS Whipped Foundation, but it may be too heavy looking for her. At 13 you probably don't want her to look like she is wearing a full face of makeup, but you can help teach her to thin it out with a sponge or just with her fingers. Making products last is partly the skincare that you use under it & partly the product. I get the best wear from my products if I use an oil control product (Oil free does not mean oil control) & it's a pain to find what works for each person to control oil & not break them out. Liquid foundation gives me better oil control than a powder or mineral foundation-that is just my experience. Tarte Tinted Treatment BB Primer is a nice lightweight foundation & it doesn't break me out. But, if she is using any sort of color cosmetic, make sure that she is getting it cleansed off at the end of the day. Put any product that she is using on her hand & then use the cleanser that she has & see how easy or hard it is to break that product down. You can't just splash it with water & expect makeup, oil, sweat & puberty to wash down the drain. I have to use my argan oil to break down my makeup (granted I wear a lot) & then I wash my face 2 X with LaRoche Posay Toleriane Cleanser (which becomes too drying in the winter & I switch to First Aid Beauty Cleanser). Oil Cleanser either break me out or they don't remove all of my makeup. It's a total pain to figure all this out. I hope it goes easy for you & her. Good luck.

Super Contributor

I think a 13 year old is too young for makeup. Perhaps a little gloss. 

Super Contributor

I believe Proactive has a makeup line.

Regular Contributor

Do her a favor and try Misha BB cream on Amazon.  Has an SPF of 40 and you can't get her started too soon keeping out those sun rays!  It does not turn orange and lasts well.

Honored Contributor

@januarybaby wrote:
I am looking for some help for my 13 year old daughter. As many of you mothers know the teen years can be very trying. She is being plagued by acne. We are addressing the acne issue but she would like to use some form makeup. We have tried several types of BB cream, concealers, powders and foundations from the drug stores, Everything either turns orange or does not last. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You might want to think about taking her to a department store or Sephora to have her makeup "done." You can research a line and make an appointment with them at a department store,(no charge, but they do expect you to purchase something - even a lipstick is fine)  or just make an appointment at Sephora (but they do charge for that). That would be a fun experience for both of you, and it would make her feel special too! Clinique is a popular line for young girls.

When DD was around 13-14 there was a young girl at Merle Norman who was "famous" in this area for working with young teens and moms who wanted them to have a "very basic" look. I didn't know anything about Merle Norman, but I took DD there on the recommendation of others. We bought a few basic products, and this makeup artist made her feel like she was a princess. She treated her products like they were so special. It was all about the experience! She graduated to Clinique in her mid teens, then MAC when she was finishing high school. Now, in her twenties, she has more makeup than I do - and that's a lot! 

QVC has some great lines too, but you can't give her the experience of having her makeup done and choosing colors that look good on her. Once you get the simple basics, you might want to try some of the lines here. Laura Geller and Mally both have simple introductory kits that she could play with.  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Thank goodness I had boys. I would never let my daughter wear makeup at 13. I wouldn't care what her friends her age were doing.

Super Contributor

In 1986 when I was 16 was when I was aloud to wear makeup. 

Valued Contributor

Agree with the sephora recommendation - they can provide samples for a good test run, and they have a great return policy if something doesn't work out.  I'm not acne prone, but I'm still oily and a lot of products oxidize on me.  I personally like Tarte Amazonian clay - wears well, doesn't break me out or oxidize, and keeps oil at bay. I also recommend Bobbi Brown's teen beauty book - a great resource for girls just getting into makeup. I hope you can find something that works for your daughter - it's such a hard time.