Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup Color Explanations

One time I tried a foundation that I really, really liked. Loved everything about it. But it was the wrong shade. So then I bought it again... four of them, two shades up and two shades down. Finally got the right one and returned the rest. I so dislike having to look for new products where color is so important.

Honored Contributor

I wish the beauty brands would at least give out or even sell foundation samples in groups of Light, Medium, and Deep -- with perhaps 6 to 8 cool & warm shades within each group. 

Then I can at least pick my true closest shade (if there is one acceptable from the samples).  Of course, there would still be trial and error in how is feels, lasts, matte vs. dewey, etc.

Honored Contributor

At least if you do find your exact match but want to try a different brand or even line within the brand there are a couple of foundation finder sites, or used to be, where you put in good matches you have used in the past and the line you want to try and it gives you the closest match in those lines. 

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

I wish the beauty brands would at least give out or even sell foundation samples in groups of Light, Medium, and Deep -- with perhaps 6 to 8 cool & warm shades within each group. 

Then I can at least pick my true closest shade (if there is one acceptable from the samples).  Of course, there would still be trial and error in how is feels, lasts, matte vs. dewey, etc.

@Caaareful Shopper   As an online service, I think Bobbi Brown still has cards with samples of foundation in each category. 

Honored Contributor

@Naturesbeauty wrote:
I think when it comes to a foundation weather a liquid or powder, one needs to (if possible) go into a store to get a perfect match. Try it on and go outside with a mirror. Get out in natural light see what it looks like. It Cosmetics offers so many more shades in the stores. Foundation is a personal thing and I don’t think that they can be sold on TV. Colors, textures, liquids, powders need to be tried in person. Ulta, Sephora, Nordstrom’s, Macy’s will spend time with you getting the perfect match. They also will give you a pretty substantial sample to see if it works for you. “Happy Holidays! 🎄🎁.”

@Naturesbeauty   Absolutely necessary, but also wear a sample for at least a day (at home) with your own serums, products underneath to be sure the foundation doesn't oxidize on you. Sometimes what's OK in a swatch on the cheek is different when worn for 12 hrs., especially with your own skincare. Ask for a sample to take home. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper   As an online service, I think Bobbi Brown still has cards with samples of foundation in each category. 

@Shanus  I don't know if I've said it before, but I always appreciate your discussions, insight, and helpful tips.  Even if I don't go that route, please know I am always grateful!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus  I don't know if I've said it before, but I always appreciate your discussions, insight, and helpful tips.  Even if I don't go that route, please know I am always grateful!

@Caaareful Shopper   I really appreciate your saying that. I know that not everyone takes my advice for brands, techniques, etc. I just offer suggestions to take it or leave it. It's difficult since I can't see your skin, coloring, issues, etc. I can only go by the info given, so sometimes my advice is not great for everyone. 

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

At least if you do find your exact match but want to try a different brand or even line within the brand there are a couple of foundation finder sites, or used to be, where you put in good matches you have used in the past and the line you want to try and it gives you the closest match in those lines. 

Yep, there’s a site called Findation that allows you to enter the brand name and shade you have and matches to different brands and shades .  There are dozens of quality brands to draw from.  

Honored Contributor

I hate the way foundations have moved toward the yellow to correct for redness. I have no need for this. The yellowish tones look dreadful on me. I wish companies would stop this trend.
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@this is my nic wrote:

Oy!  The most difficult makeup trick is finding the right color foundation.  I still have no idea if I'm warm based or cool!  What might look ok in the store doesn't always look good in natural daylight.  What to do, what to do, what to do?  Pick one and hope for the best! 

@this is my nic   OY is accurate!!!

Ask for samples to take home so you can try in your home. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼