Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup Color Explanations

@Gorgf wrote:

The usual adage is tossed out  again today.. "Works on ALL skin tones and hair colors!"

@Gorgf   Haircolor and/or eye color have absolutely nothing to do with foundation shades. What's making things more impossible is that through the years, many of us have mixed ancestry which could change a Fair skinned blonde to one who has just enough yellow in her skin to tan and push her into the next shade up. 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

they used to show the foundation colors swatched, but now just show a face which is useless

at least with a swatch we can see the shade differences side by side 

@jackthebear ....but not accurate since TV and computer screens show colors differently than they actually are in person. Ever purchased a lipstick that looked great online and arrived nothing like the swatch?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:

they used to show the foundation colors swatched, but now just show a face which is useless

@jackthebear  YOu just stated what I was thinking.  It's so frustrating when they show those ridiculous pictures.  I wish they would bring back the display with all the colors and then do the color swatches.  Years ago they used to show each individual color displayed when they did the show....   THAT was helpful.  Now they just breeze through it in a very flippant manner saying each shade IS VERY FORGIVING.   Come on!  Let's be a little more helpful please.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@jackthebear ....but not accurate since TV and computer screens show colors differently than they actually are in person. Ever purchased a lipstick that looked great online and arrived nothing like the swatch?

of course it isn't but swatching foundations can at least show differences between 2 shades, where as the faces they show are useless 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

Oh, don't get me started on lipsticks.  Christian Dior has discontinued my favorite and I can't find anything close that doesn't have orange in it whereas the CD shade has a little mauve.  

Back to foundation, for me Fair is almost always too ghostly, but I'm a pink Light, so all these Light shades on Q & H are all too yellow. I can make the yellow-based Lights work probably because I use so little and blend and buff well, but really wanted something more pink or neutral.  I went to my local mini Sephora (sans makeup) looking at a Nars brand.  The girl comes over and tried using that device they put up to your face to pick the shade.  It was very obvious to both of us it was way off.  Not sure why it didn't work right.  She called the "expert" over and she looked at me and said Mont Blanc in the formula I was looking at.  The expert was right.  Best shade match for me with no yellow.  

I'll still use my other yellow-based Lights since I can make them work at least until I use them up, but probably won't re-purchase.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   That's one reason I don't care for full coverage foundations. Tinted moisturizers (some have more coverage) are more forgiving and I use a foundation stick or concealer to touch up areas where needed. Most women need coverage in the middle of face, not all over, anyway. 

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

of course it isn't but swatching foundations can at least show differences between 2 shades, where as the faces they show are useless 

@jackthebear  Usually they have other products on their face under foundation and powder over....that's IF they're even wearing the advertised foundation. It may appear yellow on a model, as well, and they switch her to another in the makeup room. Smoke and mirrors.

Honored Contributor

The problem is trying to shoehorn yourself into one of five or six shades.  I have abandoned all these limited choice lines.  You are better off going to the drugstore and choosing one of the many choices  in warm or cool.  Hopefully you know which one you are. If not, pick one in neutral.  If you insist on spending more money thinking expensive is better, go to a dept store cosmetic counter or one of the makeup stores and get expert help.  Just be sure they have a return policy if you are not happy with the shade when you get home. 

Respected Contributor

I think when it comes to a foundation weather a liquid or powder, one needs to (if possible) go into a store to get a perfect match. Try it on and go outside with a mirror. Get out in natural light see what it looks like. It Cosmetics offers so many more shades in the stores. Foundation is a personal thing and I don’t think that they can be sold on TV. Colors, textures, liquids, powders need to be tried in person. Ulta, Sephora, Nordstrom’s, Macy’s will spend time with you getting the perfect match. They also will give you a pretty substantial sample to see if it works for you. “Happy Holidays! 🎄🎁.”
Honored Contributor

I watched two of the presentations of the Tarte TSV on line. It would have been very helpful to see swatches of the products on the model's hand. I really don't need this, but part of the reason for not buying it is not getting to really see it.