Respected Contributor

Re: Makeup Brushes -- How Many Washes?

It cosmetics makes very good quality brushes.  I clean them every other week with the It cosmetics brush cleaning spray.  They are like new after several years of usage.  Some other brands of brushes I've tried have been terrible.  Josie Maran and Philosphy come to mind. They were given with a ffoundation, I did not buy them separately.

Honored Contributor

I use the sponge shaped like an egg for foundation and wash every time I use it.  I also have brushes and wash every 2 or 3 uses.  My brushes are all in excellent shape and none of them are from IT.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe she doesn't know how to wash and dry her brushes correctly.  You're not supposed to leave them to soak and then throw them in the dishwasher.  🙄

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

I follow the rule -- use daily, clean weekly. 
My Lancôme brushes have lasted a long long time.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was brushes that I use with cream/liquid products after each use and the brushes I use with powdered products are washed at the end of the week.  I have had smashbox, Bobbi Brown and MAC brushes for many, many years that have held up well to this regimen.  The worst brushes I've used are the Bare Minerals ones that shed a lot. 

Super Contributor

LilLady, have not had that experience with bareMinerals brushes. But I'm a long time fan. Perhaps they've changed once the company was sold.

Esteemed Contributor

I wash my brushes every time I use them.  Sometimes I put them in the dishwasher for a good sanitizing.   Granted, my IT double-ended brushes are still good as new, but so is the Cover Girl powder brush I got at Woolworth's dime store about 40 years ago.  I think cleaning them prolongs their wear.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I wash mine (It, Laura Geller and Bare Minerals) brushes after every use. I use the campenelli face cloth and a little Purity. . I have super sensitive skin and a ton of allergies so this is what works for me. All of my brushes have lasted for years.

Respected Contributor

I wash mine every week using Dawn dish soap and mine have not fallen apart. My foundation brush I actually clean everyday. Every so often I use the IT Brush Cleaner in between my regular washings.

Honored Contributor

If you can keep water off or running into the ferrule (metal portion where fastened, sometimes w/ glue), the brushes last much longer.