Honored Contributor

Makeup Brushes -- How Many Washes?

Kerstin reminded everyone that the Q does not have makeup artists, hair stylists or fashion stylists right now.  All hosts & models are taking care of their own on-air looks.

But she just said she cleaned all her makeup brushes herself, and only the It Cosmetics brushes stand up to washings again & again. She said every other brush you wash just once fall apart!  

I know she has to sell, sell, sell, but that was such a dumb thing to say!  No, I don't cherish the words of salespeople as the 100% honest & full truth.  But have some sense.  To say something so outrageous is just ridiculous.  

I'll keep using my favorite Tarte brushes, along with very good It Cosmetics brushes and Laura Geller brushes as well.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup Brushes -- How Many Washes?

I was mine about 4 times a year

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

Every month. I use them daily, so every month, while not often enough for some, it's what I can handle. They are mostly bareMineral brushes & hold up very well. 

Honored Contributor

The main brush I use is a Laura geller one and it washes very well.  My eye makeup is done with the applicators and I keep extras on hand.

Respected Contributor

I like to say I wash mine weekly, but honestly it is more like monthly.  I have IT and LG along with some drug store brushes and they all take the washing very well.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

I wash mine every two weeks.  They hold up very well.

Honored Contributor

I have the original long handle brushes from BE and have wasted them in the dish washer and the washing machine as well as my hand.

A little paint has come off the handle, but they are still going strong.

I can't tell you how many and how long I've had BE brushes but they keep on ticking.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

I use Clinique's makeup brush spray cleaner every morning after I use my brushes.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shame on you, Kerstin. I've had most of my BB brushes over 25 years, Trish brushes 15 years and IT and others a very long time. Weekly washing and spray clean any brushes used for cream products after each use. 

***DIY in between spray cleaner: Any non-alcohol toner in drugstore. Pour into small spray bottle. Spray brush and wipe on washcloth or paper towel.

Respected Contributor

She sounds silly in most of her sales pitches. I have many different brands of brushes, some expensive, some not. The only brush from IT that I use every time I do my makeup is their blush brush. They’ve all held up just as good thus far. IT does have some nice brushes but a lot of brands do, IMO.