Honored Contributor

Re: Layering Skincare Products

@JudyL wrote:

@SurferWife - Thank you!  With all the other mists/essence type products I have and now knowing I can use the bottles of the Replenshing mist for the same purpose, I am set for the next decade!  HAHA  At least the Replenshing Mist won't go to waste.  Glad I didn't toss it!

@JudyL 

Girl, I know what you mean!  I am a WEN junkie & recently took inventory.  I am on a no-WEN buying break until next June's gallon month.  I need to make a huge dent in my Replenishing Treatment Mists before I buy more, but when he has sales they are so good, I try to take advantage of them.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife 

What say you?

I say you're going to get about 50/50 wait/don't wait answers.  I generally don't wait but if I'm multi-tasking I don't obsess over getting a new layer applied before the one before it dries.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@SurferWife 

What say you?

I say you're going to get about 50/50 wait/don't wait answers.  I generally don't wait but if I'm multi-tasking I don't obsess over getting a new layer applied before the one before it dries.

@monicakm 

Yes, of course.  I was expecting that.  I was asking out of curiousity to see what others here do.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife 

I'm seeing the word "mists" lately in various threads.  I don't recall this being a term in skincare.  What is a mist?

Thanks

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@SurferWife 

I'm seeing the word "mists" lately in various threads.  I don't recall this being a term in skincare.  What is a mist?

Thanks

@monicakm 

In the world of WEN, for example, he has a Replenishing Treatment Mist that is used to add hydration to hair & skin.  I don't know if other companies have a product that they label "mist", but my thought is it is a hydration product in a spray form.  I've used WEN Replinishing Treatment Mist this way for years. I then layer my Naturium essence, Hyaluronic acid, Vitamin C, other Paula's Choice serums, eye cream & moisturizer.

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife 

Got it.  Thanks.  I put my essences in continuous misting bottles

Respected Contributor

@SurferWife @monicakm @JudyL  I also use the WEN Replenishing Treatment Mist to "set" my completed makeup (most of which is powders). It takes down the powdery look and helps it meld with my skin faster. I think it also just generally gives my face a better "finish".

Trusted Contributor

I layer my products thinest to thickest.  Sometimes I let dry down, sometimes I don't.  The only thing that matters IMO-- primer goes on last.  

Honored Contributor

I let dry between layers when I have the time.  I do let layers dry to the touch, but on Sunday, which is the day I wear makeup, time is tight that's about as good as it gets.  I haven't noticed there being a problem with my makeup not going on properly.  I try to work someting in between each layer like wipe down the shower or put on pantyhose, but it's got to be something I would normally do in my routine.  I don't have time to stand around waiting for a layer to absorb.  

Luckily, my morning routine is one serum and one moisturizer & eye cream which I apply at the same time.  Then it's primer.  I don't use a separate SPF.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

Like many of you, I have several (okay, a butt-load) of skin care products I layer; less in my morning routine, more at night.  Some say you should allow time between layers to let each layer absorb before applying the next layer & some say you don't have to wait.

My primary skincare line is Paula's Choice & she says no need to wait for each layer to dry, yet others says you should.

Yes, no, does it even matter?  What say you?

I would like to think it DEPENDS on what the product is.  Not everything will absorb as quickly as the another.  Some products might work to get to the next skin barrier quicker than other products.  Some products don't ever get absorbed into the skin and act merely as a shield to protect the skin.  So.....it just depends.  I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life