Honored Contributor

Layering Skincare Products

[ Edited ]

Like many of you, I have several (okay, a butt-load) of skin care products I layer; less in my morning routine, more at night.  Some say you should allow time between layers to let each layer absorb before applying the next layer & some say you don't have to wait.

My primary skincare line is Paula's Choice & she says no need to wait for each layer to dry, yet others says you should.

Yes, no, does it even matter?  What say you?

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

Re: Layering Skincare Products

@SurferWife 

I don't know, scientifically if you have to or not...after all, like mixing your foods when you eat, or not...it's all going to the same place!

But, that said...I always wait a couple minutes before applying the next layer, and always have. I just feel I want my skin to absorb each product, purely, as is, without mixing another in right away.

Respected Contributor

@SurferWife I used to layer 3-4 products...I just waited until I could put my hand on my face and it didn't "stick" before putting on the next one. Always, though, I would apply the first layer to wet skin, to help seal in moisture.

Now I just spray WEN Replenishing Treatment Mist on my face and apply whatever moisturizer I'm using--currently Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizig Gel--while my skin is still wet. My skin has never been so soft or felt so smooth!

Honored Contributor

My primary sking care line is Elemis but I also use several other products from other lines and yes I layer them.  I never thought to wait between using them so I don't...they seem to work well together without waiting but I don't know if they would be better if I waited. 

However when I'm getting ready for bed at night there are so many things to do I just want to be done with it!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't wait. Though @amyb 's approach seems logical.

I'm sure my skin can only take in so much. But I do press in and/or massage in, even moistening often with my toner/essence, until everything seems to have absorbed.

There is a slight wait, however, not necessarily intentional, but in the process of the routine, before applying makeup in the a.m. I'll do eyes & lips and lastly, a light brush of Bye Bye Pores & face color. 

For p.m. it doesn't matter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SurferWife wrote:

Like many of you, I have several (okay, a butt-load) of skin care products I layer; less in my morning routine, more at night.  Some say you should allow time between layers to let each layer absorb before applying the next layer & some say you don't have to wait.

My primary skincare line is Paula's Choice & she says no need to wait for each layer to dry, yet others says you should.

Yes, no, does it even matter?  What say you?

@SurferWife   I guess you could say I wait for an initial dry down (a few seconds or so), but I don't think several minutes are crucial.  I use multiple products in my routines so it would take me forever, and a day, if I waited several minutes after each thing.  We've all heard that moist/dampened skin receives products better and helps them to penetrate better, so that's what I have gone with.  I usually mist an essence/beneficial toner/beauty water between products, to keep my skin dampened, for that reason.  The one thing I wait for is my Tretinoin (Retin A) application at night. I believe the reason coorelates to the dampened skin theory, but reversed. Tretinoin is powerful on its own and we all know it takes our skin awhile to acclimate to it, to avoid drying, irritation, and peeling.. So taking an already strong product and applying it on dampened skin may increase the strength and also the irritation it can bring. I will do evening skincare usually sometime prior to 8:00/8:30.  We're usually ready to go upstairs around 9:00/9:30.  That's when I'll apply the Tretinoin as the last thing before climbing into bed.  Usually once a week, I'll skip the Tretinoin and do some extra moisturizing overnight. I'm quite pleased my my skin, for an old lady.  😉 🤷‍♀️

Respected Contributor

@SurferWife So you have your skin. 

You have a toner, serum, treatment, moisturizer, etc.. I don't know how many products that you use.

Those products don't really go anywhere whether or not you wait between layers. 

You skin doesn't allow things to go very far.

I don't think it will matter if you let one dry before you do the next.

And, if you are using mostly Paula's Choice products & they say that it doesn't matter, I would accept that. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have found several layers really matter if they dry down. My initial serums like Vit.C in the AM I allow to dry down before my moisturizer...don't want them to combine. I also wait for moisturizer to absorb before spf. Sunscreen should absorb before next steps. If primers or foundations are applied before spf dries, it effects its use. Primers/foundations applied on top of damp skincare can cause pilling.

I have a tiny pink hand held fan that helps so much between products. Also, if you need to wait too long for a product to absorb, it's been noted that most women apply way too much products thinking more is better. That's only true using a teaspoon of SPF to be effective. Skincare is wasted, used up too quickly and the dry down time is too long. 

I also have a more simple routine now ...My moisturizer/spf/tinted moisturizer are one product that goes over my Vit. C. Then I will sometimes seal it in w/ an oil.

At night, I only use my retinol 3-4 times times a week now and alternate with a balm textured moisturizer sealed with a face oil.

I do cleanse and apply skincare at night at least an hour before bedtime so everything is absorbed and doesn't get wasted on my pillowcase.

Honored Contributor

I think most of the layering can be done dried-down or not. Where is matters is the primer application. You need to apply primer on top of a dry layer so the primer does its job of separating whatever you apply after it from the layers under it. Otherwise what good is a primer?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think most of the layering can be done dried-down or not. Where is matters is the primer application. You need to apply primer on top of a dry layer so the primer does its job of separating whatever you apply after it from the layers under it. Otherwise what good is a primer?

@SilleeMee 

Does the primer need to dry down before bb cream or foundation is applied? I am having an issue with applying bb cream or foundation and getting those little pin sized white spots on one cheek. Quite annoying and a new phenomenon. Trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."