Trusted Contributor

I bought a trio of Julep nail polish which are all dark colors.  They have stained my nails and regular polish remover isn't taking it off.  Does anyone have a recommendation on what to use?  Sorry if this has been discussed before but it's a rare occasion when I am on here.  TIA

Honored Contributor

I just replied in your other post. 

Valued Contributor

@sabra wrote:

I bought a trio of Julep nail polish which are all dark colors.  They have stained my nails and regular polish remover isn't taking it off.  Does anyone have a recommendation on what to use?  Sorry if this has been discussed before but it's a rare occasion when I am on here.  TIA

I've been away from the forums for a while due to health issues but am just getting back into the swing f it. Good to be back. 

*@Sabra~have you tried going to a salon and having them buff the colour off as they do with acrylics and some gel formulas? That may work, if it gets off the thick gels and adhesives. 

Also, I own a manicure kit from here that is a battery operated sander and polisher. I believe it is an "emoji" (sp?) product. Other than that all I can think of is to call the Julep company or  nail polish thinner.

I wish you luck!

Trusted Contributor

@Gemspirit @sabra  Actually, buffing it off is probably the worst possible thing to do You're thinning your nail plate, thus at the least weakening it, and potentially causing other damage.I

f it's slight staining I typically just let it go away on its own. For me it's going to be covered by polish anyway. But I ALWAYS use base coat and seldom have any staining or yellowing.

For really bad staining (for me it's the pink equivalent of the blue staining showen in this article), I gently rub my nail with a cotton swab (as opposed to cutting cotton pads and soaking) wet, but not dripping, with Blue Cross Cuticle Remover. Just be careful to avoid as much skin contact as possible and wash your hands thoroughly as soon as you're done. As this article indicates, you should be gentle with your nails for a while while any excess moisture evaporates.

Valued Contributor

Re: Julep Nail Polish

[ Edited ]

@juperier wrote:

@Gemspirit @sabra  Actually, buffing it off is probably the worst possible thing to do You're thinning your nail plate, thus at the least weakening it, and potentially causing other damage.I

f it's slight staining I typically just let it go away on its own. For me it's going to be covered by polish anyway. But I ALWAYS use base coat and seldom have any staining or yellowing.

For really bad staining (for me it's the pink equivalent of the blue staining showen in this article), I gently rub my nail with a cotton swab (as opposed to cutting cotton pads and soaking) wet, but not dripping, with Blue Cross Cuticle Remover. Just be careful to avoid as much skin contact as possible and wash your hands thoroughly as soon as you're done. As this article indicates, you should be gentle with your nails for a while while any excess moisture evaporates.

@juperier @sabra yes buffing will thin the nail bed. Just as long term use of tips, acres or gels. No further damage will be caused if done gently. And if good hygiene is used routinely. There are articles to support or dismiss nearly everything. So, the article doesn't matter. It's from a blog...one woman's opinion. We don't need to exchange library cards!

I have professional and personal experiences on skin and nail care. I'm glad you found a method you prefer. But it's not the only or safest way. 

@As I communicated previously, @sabra~take good care and good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@sabra wrote:

I bought the two Julep nail strengtheners, and the same thing: very hard to get off. Unfortunately, it did nothing good for my nails. I just keep at it with polish remover. It's neutral in color, so no stain. Won't purchase again!

Trusted Contributor

@Gemspirit I think we agree that there are pros and cons to whatever method one chooses and that following the correct procedure will help minimize the cons. I tend to do some research and include multiple viewpoints when determining what my personal course of action is going to be. 

As far as labmuffin is concerned, my primary thought was not about her being a blogger. I associate her more with discussions she had with another chemist (yes, in real life she is a chemist) in a nail related FB group I'm a member of. So, yes, it's her opinion. And, yes, I happen to agree with it based on other research I've done.

But I also agree with you that filing is a valid option if done correctly (and very infrequently).

My concern is not so much for those like the OP who are actively seeking info, but for the casual reader who only picks up on "file it off" and proceeds to bring out the file every time there's even the slightest staining and/or decides she can now use that polish that always stains without taking any precautions to minimize the staining. And, yes, the same can be said for any of the options. To me, the actual safest option is to just let the stain grow out naturally. But I suspect few of us are willing to do that. I know I'm not. So it becomes a matter of educating oneself and making what one feels is the best possible choice.