Honored Contributor

Re: It cosmetics just sold to L'oreal

@MorelyMe wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

It sold for 1.2 billion in cash.  Jamie must be one happy camper!

I wonder if that is why she no longer appears on air.  Too bad.  I really liked her.

@MorelyMe, I saw her on air just a couple days ago.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

Bare Minerals and Philosophy also sold out to larger companies and the products and pricing have never been the same.   You very seldom see Bare Minerals presentations the way we did when Leslie owned the company.

Honored Contributor

Wow isn't this quite the surprise.  I hadn't heard or read anything about this.  DIdn't Jamie start this company?  Thought it was truly her own with a partner who's on the q presenting as well.

How can Jamie sell out her business, finds, discoveries, to another company?  I don't understand this but I suppose $1.2B would make my eyes sparkle all the way to the bank too.

Good thing I'm not hooked on very many of IT products. Soon they won't be the same.  How sad.......

Contributor

I read that Jamie will remain as spokesperson.  She is the brand, and the brand would not be the same without her.  In this day and age, all the smaller brands eventually have to sell to major companies.  We can only hope that Loreal will keep the quality and integrity of the IT Brand that Jamie has worked so hard to develop..

Honored Contributor

@Carole W wrote:

I read that Jamie will remain as spokesperson.  She is the brand, and the brand would not be the same without her.  In this day and age, all the smaller brands eventually have to sell to major companies.  We can only hope that Loreal will keep the quality and integrity of the IT Brand that Jamie has worked so hard to develop..

Yeah, for now. They say this all the time when a company first gets bought out. Said it about the Bare minerals person, Mally, Laura geller, etc. Slowly, eventually, they fade away.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Wow isn't this quite the surprise.  I hadn't heard or read anything about this.  DIdn't Jamie start this company?  Thought it was truly her own with a partner who's on the q presenting as well.

How can Jamie sell out her business, finds, discoveries, to another company?  I don't understand this but I suppose $1.2B would make my eyes sparkle all the way to the bank too.

Good thing I'm not hooked on very many of IT products. Soon they won't be the same.  How sad.......

We've had several discussions about this so I'm surprised you didn't hear about it.

It happens all the time- just like Leslie and Bare minerals, Laura Geller selling her "baby", Mally selling her company (due to bankruptcy but still..), Cristina who started Philosophy. It is only their baby until the $$ is right, lol.

And no, IT was partners with an equity firm. It has been awhile since she alone owned the company.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was listening to some business news on the radio the other day and the announcer said many small businesses need the private equity firms to help fund them and support them so they can remain afloat. This is a very common thing for equity firms to do -- providing seed money and investing in the company until it starts to do well. Then the equity firm decides to sell the profitable company to either another equity firm or a larger established company so it becomes part of that company's stable of products.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@Schmackey wrote:

Don't care if they keep Jamie or not..L'oreal does animal testing so I refuse to buy IT Cosmetics any more!

I agree.  I was going to Ulta this week to buy a bunch of IT cosmetics because they DON"T test on animals.   I guess that's one trip I don't have to make now.

Respected Contributor

Yea, sure.  But for how long???

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

So most of the Q's big brands, BE, It, Tarte and Philosophy have all been sold to the highest bidder... Those women made fortunes by selling their brands and I don't blame them... I've never been a serious customer of any of these brands, so whatever transitions have happened or happen over time don't much matter to me. A few less hours devoted on-air by QVC to any and all of these brands would be a good thing, as far as I'm concerned, though Tarte and BE have pretty much dropped off the radar anyway... It would be nice if Philosophy and It followed suit.

I don't care much about what happens to the brand either.   There are plenty more where IT came from.   What I do care about is testing on animals.   Many many companies manage to produce quality cosmetics without torturing animals but the almightly dollar is more important to investors and founders.   My understanding is that if you are going to sell MU and skin care in China you MUST test on animals.   So, no more IT for me.