Trusted Contributor

Re: Is Less Makeup MORE for 60+ Women?

@MJDinVegas My hope is to find myself in the place you're in right now.  Simply getting "comfortable" with myself without feeling like I've worked too hard or spent too much time.  Thanks for sharing your routine and favorite products.  I bet you look beautiful!

Trusted Contributor

@sol_luna  Don't we all wish at one time or another we had something another woman has, good skin, perfect smile, beautiful lush hair?  It's human nature.  All of my life I had gorgeous, thick, shiny, healthy hair.  I received compliments all of the time.

You had me at "I have perfectly white hair".  I LOVE white hair and I wish, I wish, I wish I had white hair too!  When it came time for my hair to turn gray, what a surprise!!  It turned a dingy, ashy gray and the new hair was coarse and wiry.  My stylist told me if I had it colored with a good conditioning color, the texture of my hair would soften and become more manageable.  She was right, but now, I'm a slave to the salon every 4-6 weeks to get roots colored and the rest of my color refreshed.

My very good girlfriend has perfectly white hair, soft, smooth and PRETTY! I always tell her that her hair looks like pearls.  She is radiant. 

Sheer red lipstick with gorgeous white hair is one of my favorite looks! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I don't wear some makeup, I look pale and tired and, to my own eyes, not myself, so to speak.  I'll be 70 this year.

I use a Tarte smoothing balm (an item that's been discontinued so am using sparsely) in a light/medium shade on the areas around the nose where there are some broken capillaries.   (Amazon still has a few.) This product works even though my face is still just a bit oily after all these years.

Then mostly just a dusting of Mineral Veil over the face, with some bronzy mineral veil as contour.  For me, some contour makes all the difference.  I used to have more visible cheekbones, but when you have a face that gains weight, you need some depth from contour.

Sometimes I'll use Alima Pure powdered foundation instead of the Tarte or even over the Tarte, but since I retired, not very often.

I only use powdered liner, and only use it on the outer half to 3/4 of the lid.  It is not a solid line.  It is tapered from nothing at the beginning and slightly wider toward the outer edge of the eye.  Same on the lower rim.   I mostly use Bare Minerals "sailor" color (navy blue).  I rarely use mascara anymore, and only for "occasions."

Shadow is sometimes light on the lid, with a medium shade above the crease.  Sometimes I just put a medium shade on the lid, too.  Eyebrows I don't worry about.   Bangs, you know.  

Lips are typically in the berry tones.  Nudes don't do anything for me.  I like color but not stand-out color.

p.s. Blending is all-important, esp for contour.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

@SuzyOYou KNOW what I'm talking about!!!  I'd love to know the products and shades you've chosen for your new, brightened look!

OK, since you asked. LOL

I've arrived at this list through a lot of trial and error.  So here goes:

1.  Foundation: Philosophy hope in a jar foundation in shade #4

(not the new Renewed Hope in the jar; this one is in perfect packaging, a bottle with pump and one pump is just enough for my whole face. It is as light as a tinted moisturizer and buildable, I'm in fear they will stop making it). Hope the link works http://www.philosophy.com/hope-in-a-jar-foundation.html?cgid=C4113#start=4

2.  Blush: Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge for Lips and Cheeks in powder pink (up high on cheekbones, not apples)

3.  Eyes: Nudestix Magnetic Eye Color in Angel on lid accented with Spirit in outer corner and crease. Also use a Queen Olive to line/smudge under the outer 3/4 of the bottom lid.

4.  Eyebrows: IT Cosmetics Brow Power Auto Perfector 5-in-1 Powder Gel Pencil in taupe 

5. Lips: Lipstick Queen Hello Sailor (tried it on a lark and was surprised that somehow it looks great on me, it is MLBB)

That's it. Takes 5 or so minutes. I bought all of these products initially from the Q but some of them I had to go elsewhere. Smiley Sad 

And if I ever go without makeup, I still do eyebrows and lips.

So what about you? What do you wear? 

Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

Wow!  I don't know how to express my delightfully huge "THANK YOU" to all of you who offered your opinions, tips and suggestions. I learned from each of you, our minds, combined, are brilliant are they not? 

I want to tell all of you how much I enjoy discussion and feedback from other "boomer women".  I don't intend to alienate other age groups, we're all women interested in doing and looking our best. 

Having said that, I DO notice a shortage of "health and beauty" information concerning 60+ women on blogs, forums and magazines.  Many thanks, wishing all of you a great rest of your weekend! 

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!

Contributor

i

@Quinny wrote:

Wow!  I don't know how to express my delightfully huge "THANK YOU" to all of you who offered your opinions, tips and suggestions. I learned from each of you, our minds, combined, are brilliant are they not? 

I want to tell all of you how much I enjoy discussion and feedback from other "boomer women".  I don't intend to alienate other age groups, we're all women interested in doing and looking our best. 

Having said that, I DO notice a shortage of "health and beauty" information concerning 60+ women on blogs, forums and magazines.  Many thanks, wishing all of you a great rest of your weekend! 

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!!  I did all my own experimenting because of a lack of info out there online for over 60. We should start our own blog! So many boomers and all the info online seems for those under 45. I'm thinking of a name.... LOL

Honored Contributor

I am 62...I have never worn heavy make up...foundation, eyeliner, mascara, blush, that's it....I find I still want coverage.  I have noticed that under my eyes, the skin seems to be thinning, I don't like that, ha!  I might have to look for a concealer.

On another note I was at the dermatologist today for a funky looking mole on my back, and I mentioned aging skin and dryness.  She suggested using vaseline on my body, not necessarily my face...but said it was a great way to add moisture to the skin, after shower when still slight damp.....I shower in the am so not sure how that will work for me!  

Honored Contributor

@Quinny  Yup...and for -60 women alsoHeart

Respected Contributor

@SuzyO wrote:

@Quinny wrote:

@SuzyOYou KNOW what I'm talking about!!!  I'd love to know the products and shades you've chosen for your new, brightened look!

OK, since you asked. LOL

(not the new Renewed Hope in the jar; this one is in perfect packaging, a bottle with pump and one pump is just enough for my whole face. It is as light as a tinted moisturizer and buildable, I'm in fear they will stop making it). Hope the link works http://www.philosophy.com/hope-in-a-jar-foundation.html?cgid=C4113#start=4

2.  Blush: Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge for Lips and Cheeks in powder pink (up high on cheekbones, not apples)

3.  Eyes: Nudestix Magnetic Eye Color in Angel on lid accented with Spirit in outer corner and crease. Also use a Queen Olive to line/smudge under the outer 3/4 of the bottom lid.

4.  Eyebrows: IT Cosmetics Brow Power Auto Perfector 5-in-1 Powder Gel Pencil in taupe 

5. Lips: Lipstick Queen Hello Sailor (tried it on a lark and was surprised that somehow it looks great on me, it is MLBB)

That's it. Takes 5 or so minutes. I bought all of these products initially from the Q but some of them I had to go elsewhere. Smiley Sad 

@SuzyO  I 'd love to try the Philosophy foundation, but I can't find anything describing the different shades.  How did you know which color to order?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trudey wrote:

@SuzyO wrote:

@Quinny wrote:

OK, since you asked. LOL

@SuzyO  I 'd love to try the Philosophy foundation, but I can't find anything describing the different shades.  How did you know which color to order?

It's very forgiving. I am fair to light so I went with the second color. Just a guess based on years of buying foundation... I'm usually 1 or 2 up from the lightest. Not sure if they have exchanges but pretty sure they do. I absolutley love it. So light and matte. Yesterday I put it on in the morning, had two medical tests, drove around in the warm weather, very windy. I even sweated. I use micellar water on a cotton pad to cleanse my face. That night, 10 hours later, I was shocked to see foundation on the cotton from all over my face, even my forehead where I sweat the most. It was available on Q for a time, but they never seemed to reorder it. I live in fear that they will stopo making it. I have been known to buy them four at a time. LOL 

If there is a Sephora or a Penney's near you, you may be able to find it to try the colors but it seems  like a sort of "cult" product. Smiley Happy