Honored Contributor

Re: Is Avon getting expensive??

@4kitties wrote:

I don't do PayPal and so many on eBay want that payment.  I am not sure I trust the beauty products from eBay either.  

I always pay with my credit card and not Paypal.  Ebay also guarantees your purchase 100% @4kitties .  Should you have a problem and the seller won't refund your money, Ebay steps in and refunds your money. 

Honored Contributor

Avon was sold to LG --- meaning Laura Geller?  

I haven't checked Avon for a long time, since I retired.  I used to buy it faithfully and found they a lot of good products for great prices.  

Are they seriously trying to go high end?  That picture of the bird pin -- goodness -- very pricey for Avon.  I had no idea!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

@4kitties  I haven't bought a lot of beauty products from ebay but have never had a problem with my purchases. I prefer paypal.

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I haven't checked Avon for a long time, since I retired.  I used to buy it faithfully and found they a lot of good products for great prices.  

Are they seriously trying to go high end?  That picture of the bird pin -- goodness -- very pricey for Avon.  I had no idea!

@AngelPuppy1 

LG Household and Health Care is a South Korean company.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So is everything else but $350 is ridiculous.  Do women actually think that spendiing a lot of money on beauty skincare is going to change your skin forever?  It's really sad that Avon is changing.  It was always good products at reasonable prices.  Avon has some awesome hand cream that I received for Christmas.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

It's way too overpriced since it's not really seen as a luxury or higher end brand. I have a few items I like but I get them off eBay. 

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

No, it was sold to the Korean company LG (who makes appliances). 

Honored Contributor

I found an interesting Obituary today. Sheldon Solow a billionaire developer died. Apparently he was known for his frequent litigiousness. Avon was a tenant on more than 20 floors of his building. And because Avon had referred to the building as the Avon Building, he sued. 

Then when Avon's lease was up, he sued Avon again for $80 million for not restoring the building to it's original condition. Avon finally paid $6.2 million to settle the law suit.

That is alot of makeup.

Esteemed Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

Has anyone noticed that LG purchased Avon Co., that the items are very pricy? Many of the older, more reasonably priced items are being phased out, in order to bring expensive Korean brands in. They do have some of the old stand bys for sure, but now they're selling face cream for $350.00. That's above my pay.

Yes, I just noticed this.  Avon was my go to for a few products.  Was I surprised you need a rep now.  I found it a big pain in the you know what; I used google to find a rep.  Haven’t ordered yet.  I’m really curious what the glycolic acid pads will be priced at.  I couldn’t find them on the site.  What a shame, I used to get two for one buys from the old Avon.

Occasional Contributor

I stopped buying from Avon several years ago. I started to observe prices going up and the quality going down. They had an 'outlet' section where prices were crazy low.  I'd stock up on bottles of body sprays, nail polish, mascaras, and some perfumes. But that was when they had free shipping with a $10 order.  It was fun to try new things but not spend the mortgage payment on it!  Now, everything is much higher, you must shop with a representative to get a lower price, and the shipping is too much. Besides, sometimes I wonder why I put this makeup on and work at it to make myself look natural...