Respected Contributor

Re: How To Find The Right Lipstick Color?

I have very dark brown hair and eyes, with a yellow tone in my skin, which is not quite olive, but close.  I can only wear neutral or cool lipstick. Blue toned reds or wine colors are best for me.  If I put on an orange based red or a coral lipstick, I'd look AWFUL.  Believe me, I know that only too well !!!

I can, however, wear warmer shades on my cheeks.

Honored Contributor

I have a general idea of what shades I like (not overly dark or bright). Other than that, I'm open to trying just about any shade other than orange. I don't adhere to any color type analysis.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I normally buy what looks good on me and I don't think about cool or warm.  Happy Holidays.

Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I once read to match the inside color of your lips. I did and came up with BM Buxom in the color Dolly. It's always the right color and goes with everything.

Honored Contributor

I'm in my early 60's and am still looking for the right lipstick! I have very red  lips, which some may think a good thing, but any color lipstick just doesn't look good at all. I have colors that I like but when I apply it, it just looks horrible. I'm always on the hunt. Oh well, clear lipgloss it is! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

No...I’m icy blond and blue eyed with pinkish bluish undertones. I wear the reds and pinks that lean toward the bluish side. The warmest I can go is a barn red.

Respected Contributor

I am definitely warm with brown hair and green eyes.  I look better in rose to mauvey colors or neutral colors.  If I wear warm colors it makes my teeth look yellow.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is the first I've ever heard of this color theory. Come to think of it, there may be something to it! It's that sense of contrast.

I am really a neutral with a cooler-toned base, and peaches/oranges do seem to be more flattering on me.

It may be a matter of personal preference, but I also like learning principles, so thank you, @cuddlesmama, for sharing this!!

You've also inspired me to shop with a new eye!

Respected Contributor

It doesn't make sense but I agree with it. I am super fair with pink skin and I wear a light cookl toned pink blush but I love lipsticks in pinkish brown shades of reddish brown shades. I hate orange or corals though.

Trusted Contributor

@cuddlesmama

The recommendations you saw on YouTube were swept with a much too wide brush.  There are so many "in-between" considerations in a woman's skin tone, eye color, hair color, etc.; making those types of broad generalizations are unfounded.

I have a light, very neutral skin tone, blue-green eyes and medium brown hair.  There are definite shades or warm AND cool colors I'm drawn to and wear quite successfully.  About 8 months ago, I had my makeup done (for my son's wedding) by a makeup artist in Chicago.  We had this warm/cool discussion.  She told me warm tone, cool tone ideas were very "old school" and words she refused to use in describing makeup and left the majority of women "in the dark" about their options of what someone deigned they should or should NOT wear.