Honored Contributor

LOL is all this really necessary?!!

[ Edited ]

I was looking at all of the products I have and got to thinking OMG is all this stuff really necessary!? lol!!!!

I remember that my Mom and Aunt and many others years ago washed their face with soap and used a moisturizer and that was all.  Smiley Happy

This is what I have:  Day Cream, Night Cream, AM Cleanser, PM Cleanser, Eye Cream, Eyelid Cream, Toner, Serums, Primer, Lip Plumper, Lip Primer, Self Tanner, Derma Peel, Oils including Argan Oil,  Cream for Lines and Wrinkles, Neck Cream, Lifting Creams, NuFace, Wrinkle Mask, Lip Mask, Lip Scrub, Body Cleanser, Hyaluronic Acid.

Might be more I forgot to list lol. Of course I do not use every one of these things every day.

Does anyone else have/use all these type products too?!!

Once I use this all up I have decided to scale way back and it will be alot less costly too Smiley Wink Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: LOL is all this really necessary?!!

For years my mother never even used a moisturizer.  Not until my parents retired and moved to the desert.  Bar soap and that was her “beauty routine”.  And the soap wasn’t even a brand name—whatever was on sale when we needed it.  And the whole family used the same bar, in our one bathroom.

Respected Contributor

In my opinion no it is not. I pesonally feel like you only need three good products. A really good cleanser, moisturizer and a gentle exfoliater to use once a month. I have only used these three things for forty five years and my skin is amazing. Of course everyone is different but I think when you overdo products on your skin especially your face it just creates problems and then nothing really works.

Honored Contributor

Agreed. My great aunts ('01, '03)) used Noxema and that's all I remember. My mom ('28) added some products but not much. They all had beautiful skin.

Respected Contributor

Nope, you only need a good cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen. The rest is all fluff and cannot change genetics. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Stress damages your skin. Woman Frustrated If using lots of skincare stresses you --> stop.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I can't use a lot of products, especially a lot of serums and anti ageing things.  They break me out and my skin gets terribly red and irritated.  The less use the far better I look--and I am 60ish.  I have good skin unless I over use products.

For me, simple is the only way to go.  L'Occitane has a soothing lotion that my skin just loves!  And Trish McEvoy's serum is expensive, but doesn't irritate my skin, so I use that.  In the long run, I save money by not trying a lot of stuff I have to pitch out.

Trusted Contributor

LOL, I didnt realize it was bad that we all used the same bar of bath soap.  My family of 4 shared the same bathroom, and never once did it cross our minds that anything was wrong with that.  Boy times have changed.

Honored Contributor

No, I do not use many products at all. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if I should give up glycolic acid and vitamin C because Retin-A takes care of what both of those things do anyway. 

Honored Contributor

To answer your question, @CherryHugs, yep I have most of what you described and probably more besides. I enjoy tweaking every little thing and seeing what I can get my skin to do for me. It's working out well. The endophins I generate from pursuing this beauty habit are good for my skin. It's all about what floats your particular boat. Or not! Heart

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr