Trusted Contributor

I continue to be amazed at the number of women on this forum who use and recommend high end cosmetics. Brands such as NARS, Laura Mercier, YSL, Chanel and on and on.

Do most women consider high end cosmetic expenditures as a necessary evil?

Do most women spend more money on their makeup than on their clothing?

I think even if I could afford to purchase a wardrobe of prestige makeup, I wouldn't do it. I think I'd prefer to spend that money on some very good quality wardrobe essentials or a very good quality handbag.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Esteemed Contributor
No, you aren't the only one who feels that way. I love makeup but I'm not paying high prices for color cosmetics. At the end of last year I also cleaned out my makeup drawers of cosmetics that used carmine and plenty of high and low end companies use this in some of their makeup. Give me a nice handbag or a pair of shoes any day!
Occasional Contributor
Isn't it great that everyone has different interests? It's make life so fun that we are all different.
Honored Contributor

I knew a few women dripping diamonds and Dooney's............who can't afford food by the end of the month.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

Of course you are not the only one that feels this way. There have been numerous threads about drugstore vs department store makeup. Personally, I don't think there's anything left to be understood. Hopefully everyone is spending within their budget for whatever frippery and folly that make us a little bit happier.

There will be many things that others find appealing that I will never understand. I'm okay with that. Just like I don't understand why this person married that person, or built that house, or likes that kind of music. Thank goodness we have so many choices available to us.

I find it so interesting to see what people spend their discretionary income on. But what some people spend for landscaping for instance, their cars, golfing, vacations, grandchildren, education, charities, education, traveling, I might find over the top. But guess what? I don't get a vote. If I'm not funding it, I get no say. Thank goodness.

Respected Contributor

Look! There's the deer eating popcorn.

Have to agree completely w/D'Oro-enough said!

Honored Contributor

I spend on high end makeup/skincare items that improve my skin because it's my skin I'm directly applying it to and know (for me) what buying products that don't have the purest ingredients has done for my skin in the past. Everyone's skin reacts differently and some may have success and no bad effects from buying drugstore products and that's great.

I don't however spend money on high end designer handbags, because I just need something to carry my stuff in and it doesn't affect my health in any way. The same with buying clothing or shoes just because they have a designer insignia on them but I will not bulk at paying a high price for a pair of jeans or shoes that fit me well. I also don't spend money on decorator items for the home as I just don't need nor do I care those types of things and it's just more to clean around. Everyone has their own wants, needs, likes and dislikes and there is no right and wrong nor is there a need to insult or try to denigrate anyone for what they choose to buy or not buy.

Super Contributor

I buy products that I like and work with my coloring. I don't care if they're "high end" or "low end". Today, I'm wearing a $2 blush (drugstore), and a $30 mascara (high-end department store). I like both. I would never go into debt over makeup, so that's a separate issue.

Trusted Contributor

Although I understand your point, I don't really think it matters whether women choose to spend all of their money on clothes, makeup, lotions, candles, or anything else they enjoy. As long as someone can afford it and is happy with their purchases, that's all that matters.

I am someone who chooses to spend my money on high-end makeup. However, I can't afford to buy a new makeup "wardrobe" all the time. I have a collection of pretty amazing makeup that I buy piece by piece. Some things are purchased together, while other things are "wish list" items that I don't really need, but save up for over time. However, there are high-end makeup pieces that I MUST have because they work well with my skin. I've tried the drugstore brands and they don't work for me nearly as well as the more expensive ones. I won't compromise on foundation, concealer or powder. I also find that higher-end eye shadows work better for me than drugstore brands.

To each her own... {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

If you used prestige brand cosmetics you'd understand why so many women prefer to splurge on them…I have never found a drugstore eyeshadow with the silky/creamy texture I get from high-end brands. Also I have found a few drugstore mascaras that were decent but the tube dried out and got clumpy in less than a month. I do buy drugstore lip gloss/lip sheers because I have found a few that really work for me. To each their own but I judge make-up on it's performance and for the most part to me the prestige brands are superior products.