Respected Contributor

For some women, building a quality make-up wardrobe is the same as building a quality clothing wardrobe. They buy the basics, one or two at a time, & build on that. Nobody runs out of everything at the same time anyway, so it's not that hard to spread the expense out over time. I, personally, do not buy the high-end make-up & skin care simply because I don't want to spend that kind of money on those products. But I have to admit that I might if money was never an issue.

Super Contributor

I buy high-end foundation because I am extremely fair and it is very hard to find a foundation that matches my skin tone. Also I can sample colors say from Sephora were as at a drugstore I have to buy it before I try it.

Super Contributor

Although spending money on things you love and that validate you is fun, it's better to spend it on experiences. They last much longer as they make memories. 8)

Super Contributor
On 5/16/2014 Cardamom said: I do understand what you are saying because that is how I feel about purses. They are as interesting to me as luggage or reusable shopping bags. They only need to carry my stuff from point a to point b and my purse won't make me look any better. I like a few drugstore products however I have noticed the older I get the better my makeup has to be. Smiley Wink. There are a lot of inferior drugstore products and you may just spend more money searching out what works than buying a prestige brand.

You would still have to find a prestige brand that works for you too. It's all a search til you find the one.

Super Contributor
On 5/16/2014 AlleyCat said:

I buy high-end foundation because I am extremely fair and it is very hard to find a foundation that matches my skin tone. Also I can sample colors say from Sephora were as at a drugstore I have to buy it before I try it.

I always buy before I try, unless they have individual samples. I'm not going to sample cosmetics everyone else has been using. If it doesn't work, I return it. I don't do this haphazardly. I research and read reviews before I choose. Ulta and most drugs stores have generous return policies. Cosmetic companies have very high markups and credit stores for the returns.

Super Contributor

I'm not quite sure how to respond as I detect a bit of judgement in the post rather than idle curiosity.

If you look in my makeup bag, I have Maybelline Dream Wonder powder in there next to Dior Addict lipstick, Maybelline Fit Me concealer, Guerlain blush, Maybelline Colossal mascara, NARS gloss and Stila eye liner. On some days, it is filled with all high end and some days it's all budget brands. I'm an equal opportunity beauty addict.

I'm sorry but posts like this make me bristle. I don't have to choose between prestige makeup or quality handbags. I can have both and even retire in Naples. I'm dang proud of it. P.S. Neither of my parents graduated high school and I didn't marry money. This is America, you, too, can have it all.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Super Contributor
On 5/16/2014 Inwe Calafalas said:

Why do so many of these rants about what people choose to buy and spend on always seem to reek of envy and jealousy? Just sayin'. Wink

I don't think so. I think, that they think, that they are just wasting money. Most American waste money on something. I know I do. We all have different values on what is important to us. I personally want to get the best product available for the least amount of money.

Super Contributor
On 5/16/2014 Happy Elizabeth said:

I buy products that I like and work with my coloring. I don't care if they're "high end" or "low end". Today, I'm wearing a $2 blush (drugstore), and a $30 mascara (high-end department store). I like both. I would never go into debt over makeup, so that's a separate issue.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor
On 5/16/2014 LuluCCS said:

I'm not quite sure how to respond as I detect a bit of judgement in the post rather than idle curiosity.

If you look in my makeup bag, I have Maybelline Dream Wonder powder in there next to Dior Addict lipstick, Maybelline Fit Me concealer, Guerlain blush, Maybelline Colossal mascara, NARS gloss and Stila eye liner. On some days, it is filled with all high end and some days it's all budget brands. I'm an equal opportunity beauty addict.

I'm sorry but posts like this make me bristle. I don't have to choose between prestige makeup or quality handbags. I can have both and even retire in Naples. I'm dang proud of it. P.S. Neither of my parents graduated high school and I didn't marry money. This is America, you, too, can have it all.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor
On 5/16/2014 Desertdi said:

I knew a few women dripping diamonds and Dooney's............who can't afford food by the end of the month.

sadly true.