Respected Contributor

I am seriously out of date as it us now all CC and BB creams - not sure what the difference is.  For the past year during summer I have used Jergens face glow - but would really like to use one of these new creams.

It is too hot here to wear lots if make-up so just a tinted cream would work.

What is the difference between these creams?

I am not near any major shopping malls to check out beauty counters so any advice gladly received.

Frequent Contributor

So am I. I'm looking also if anyone has any suggestions,

So am I. I'm looking also if anyone has any suggestions,
Honored Contributor

Re: Help re Tinted Moisturizers

[ Edited ]

@dulwich wrote:

I am seriously out of date as it us now all CC and BB creams - not sure what the difference is.  For the past year during summer I have used Jergens face glow - but would really like to use one of these new creams.

It is too hot here to wear lots if make-up so just a tinted cream would work.

What is the difference between these creams?

I am not near any major shopping malls to check out beauty counters so any advice gladly received.

@dulwich  Technically speaking, BB stands for Blemish Balm, but it can also mean Beauty Balm.  CC is the same thing, but with Color Correction added.  Both of them are pretty much tinted moisturizers with some added skincare benefits and some can have a primer built in.

I've tried a few of them.  If you're looking for a drugstore brand, Physicians Formula Super BB+ Cream is pretty good.  Physician's Formula is a cruelty free company Rimmel's 9-in-1 is good too, but Rimmel is owned by Coty and there is some question about Coty being cruelty free (if that matters to you).  This is Coty's statement on animal testing:

Coty Inc. is a leader in the global beauty industry. We have developed a portfolio of notable brands and offer innovative products of outstanding quality for which we are committed to maintaining the highest possible standards of consumer safety.  Before we place a product on the market, we assess it thoroughly to ensure that it is safe for human use and for the environment and that it complies with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. Our safety assessment of cosmetic ingredients is based on the use of recognized alternatives to animal testing, the use of existing safety data and, increasingly, the sharing of such data with other industries.

We do not perform, nor do we ever commission any third parties on our behalf to perform, testing of our products or ingredients on animals. COTY voluntarily ceased testing finished cosmetic products on animals in 1991, long before the official European ban on such testing in 2004, and we have been actively involved in the research and development of alternatives to animal testing for many years. COTY is a party to SEURAT-1,  the single largest Private-Public Partnership initiative aimed to develop alternatives to animal testing of cosmetic products, with a total contribution of €50 million funded in equal by the European Commission and the cosmetics industry, which managed to provide sufficient ground for setting the strategy and strategic collaboration that will be essential for the development of further alternative methods, e.g. for systemic toxicity.

It is common knowledge that China is currently the only country that requires mandatory animal tests on all cosmetic products imported into the country. However, we have been actively involved in the dialogue with the Chinese authorities and regulators, including through our membership to the China Association of Fragrance Flavor and Cosmetic Industries (CAFFCI). As a result, China has recently started to investigate ways to replace animal testing and has sought the assistance of European scientists.

The common goal of all these efforts is our aim to completely replace animal testing.  

No judgements on your preference, I just supplied the information in case you were interested.

These days I've been using Skinn Cosmetics Intellitint CC Cream and like it very much.  You can find it on the Skinn website, the Evine website, and eBay.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch - Thank you so much for your help - I am definitely into cruelty free cosmetics and will definitely check out products you mentioned.  Again, many thanks.

Valued Contributor

I like Dr. Denese's SPF 30 Defense Day Creme. A69437  I have used it for a long time & changed to some other creams but just didn't care that much for them. Always go back to this one.  I didn't know it was considered a CC cream but it is tinted.  I saw on this forum where some posters said that is was a CC.  All I know is it goes on so nice & just makes my skin look flawless. I'm always getting complients on how my skin looks when I wear it & it looks so nice. It's not heavy either.  I usually don't wear makeup with it.  It is hands down my favorite!

Honored Contributor

My only problem w/ TINTED MOISTURIZERS is what do you do for moisturizer on neck and chest? Don't want "tinted" there to get all over clothes. SOLUTION: For face I mix a tiny bit of my regular foundation w/ my moisturizer (which has SPF 50). Then use same moisturizer w/ SPF w/o added foundation to neck and chest. Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

See my solution: SHANUS

Valued Contributor

I was looking for a less expensive drugstore brand to replace my IT tinted BB cream; Garnier works just as well for me! For both, I added just a drop or two of Argan oil so it wouldn't be quite so heavy.

Trusted Contributor

I was confused too; then went to my go-to when I need advice--Paula's Choice beautypedia & her site in general. I don't know how to do links, but she has an explanation of BB & CC creams on her site. I ended up getting one of her drugstore recommends which is Almay Smart Shade CC Cream in medium. It's perfect for my medium-toned skin, even now in summer.

Respected Contributor

Never liked them until I tried the one in the Perricone line...  it's the tinted FFM.  It goes on smoothly, no staining, no splotchiness, and just a very subtle beautiful color.  I do use the regular FFM prior to using the tinted one, but that's just me!  Use that on the weekend instead of my Smashbox Halo, which I use during the week for work.