Trusted Contributor

Face Highlighters: Powder, Gel or Cream?

I've been hearing and reading more and more about the brightening and youth giving benefits a highlighter gives to the face.  Any highlighting products I've ever seen in the past were quite shiimmery and sparkly,  Are highlighters making a comeback?  Are they different from those of 20 years ago.  Just  recently I have noticed magazine ads for highlighter in every form...powder, gel and cream.

Have any of you beauties recently added a highlighter to your makeup routine or have you always used one?  

What type works best?  What should one avoid in purchasing one or make sure to look for when purchasing one?

As always, THANK YOU!

Honored Contributor

Re: Face Highlighters: Powder, Gel or Cream?

I've found that it works best when I match my blush, bronzer and or highlighter formulation to the type of foundation I'm wearing. So when I used Laura Geller powder foundation, I used powder blush, bronzer, and highlighter. Now that I use very little foundation, just a little cushion serum foundation occasionally, I've switched to cream versions of the above. It all blends better and looks more natural.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I've been using It illuminator.  It's a light creme in a compact.  I just use it in the inner corners of my eyes sometimes a little under eyes. It does alot for my eyes,I think.  Powders aren't for me.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Quinny wrote:

I've been hearing and reading more and more about the brightening and youth giving benefits a highlighter gives to the face.  Any highlighting products I've ever seen in the past were quite shiimmery and sparkly,  Are highlighters making a comeback?  Are they different from those of 20 years ago.  Just  recently I have noticed magazine ads for highlighter in every form...powder, gel and cream.

Have any of you beauties recently added a highlighter to your makeup routine or have you always used one?  

What type works best?  What should one avoid in purchasing one or make sure to look for when purchasing one?

As always, THANK YOU!

I decided to step out of the box and tried a highlighter at Ulta. I had liquid foundation on and asked the salesclerk, where is it applied? She told me it can be applied above the blush sort of in a similar stroke/direction so it is right below the eyes. I tried at that time the new summer introduction from Urban Decay Afterglow highlighter. It comes in 3 colors - Sin, Aura and Fireball. 

I tried on on each side of my face, Sin and Aura. With my coloring, they were too white or chalky for me. I wiped off both with make up remover and tried the Fireball. Fireball is peach with a pink shift according to the UD website. I ended up purchasing the Fireball shade.

But here is the best part, these highlighters are not sparkly or glittery, it's subtle and a slight glow. I apply it above the blush and I also use it as an all over finishing powder too. I liked it so much, I just bought a 2nd one, same shade.

In terms of advice to give, try it on in the store and then go outside to see it in sunlight to determine if it's the correct shade/color for you and if it has the correct level of shimmer for you. 

This UD one doesn't have visible pieces of glitter the way some of these products were done years ago. It seems more finely milled to me and I use the blush powder brush to apply it. The brush spreads it evenly instead of if you used a flat brush or your fingers.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Frequent Contributor

I use a highlighter stick made by W3ll People. It is a cream and a little goes a long way. I use it under my eye, a little on my nose, and wherever else I feel I need it. There is no shimmer to it, and if I think over over done it, I just put a light dusting of powder over it. The same brand also makes a brightening powder that is amazing!
Respected Contributor

I've been using Laura Geller's French Vanilla powder highlighter for years...under eyebrows, cheeks (before applying blush), down my nose, across forehead and chin. That sounds like a lot, but I do my cheeks 1st, then use the little that's left everywhere else.

I also sometimes use it on my eyelids...that, quick swipe of eyeliner & mascara and I'm good to go! It's good under the nose, too, for that darkness that age sometimes brings.

The French Vanilla just gives a very soft glow to my skin. I'm 61 and don't want to overdo the shimmer.

Valued Contributor

I feel powder works the best. I apply it with a fan brush to the tops of my cheeks, nose, forehead, cupids bow. What color is really personal preference. A white one or cream one goes with about anything though.

Super Contributor

I love TheBalm's Mary Lou and Cindy Lou illuminators. I also use the Physican's formula 4 in 1.It has four squares a white, pink (my fav) then two different browns (all are beautiful)  I love them and get compliments all the time on my highlighters. All are recommended by all the youtube beauty gals.

I use a fan brush as well. None of them are chalky or glittery they are finely milled and go on beautifully.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just started using the It C.C Cream Illumination foundation and love it beyond words. At first, I used this CC foundation with my fingers, and the result was not desirable. I watched Jamie apply the product online using the plush brush and I was blown away! No more powder ever for this 63 year old. The illumination effect is subtle, not glittery, especially when the brush is used. The amount I use is 1.5 pumps on my wrist which, although a very miniscule amount, is perfect to cover even larger age spots and scars. Do not hesitate to try this!

Honored Contributor

I have the liquid, powder, and the cream compact.

The powder is the easiest to control but it's also the most subtle.

I find cream compacts, regardless of what they are, get funky gross! Even with clean fingers they seem to get dirty!

The liquid , in a tube, is good BUT it's difficult to control the amount of product coming out of the tube!

I know there are creams in a stick but I haven't tried one ...yet. That one seems a very practical delivery system..