Honored Contributor

Re: Help for dehydrated, dry lips

Aquaphor, is good,  also the creave ,in the blue tub,and tube, and people say ,a balm with beeswax.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

Laniege  lip sleeping mask is what I used for dry chapped lips. Works great especially in the winter. I put it on before bed and wake up with moisturized lips. 

Frequent Contributor

I use Argan Infinity Cream Oil. It's great. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Glorimar I've always found that plain vasoline works really well when there is a 'lip emergency'.  generally will apply at night before bed, if needed, but of course can use during the day too, like over a lipstick, etc., looks a little glossy.

I've just recently found farmhouse fresh mood fruit lip therapy.  For me they are very hydrating, in a long lasting way.

Honored Contributor

I guess I fail to understand what is so bad about mineral oil and petrolatum.  Both products lock in moisture.

I have a large bottle of mineral oil sitting on the kitchen counter right now. It's recommended for sealing your cutting boards which come into contact with your food.  Also, on the front label it clearly says Laxative, so it's clearly edible although I rather doubt it has much of a laxative effect in such small amounts.  It may be comedogenic, but I've never had a pimple on my lips.

Petrolatum can also be used as a laxative, particularly in cats.  It's one of the main ingredients in hairball remedies.  Even Paula's Choice, someone many people put a lot of stock in, says petrolatum is one of the best ingredients for dry skin, and that it is widely used in healthcare settings and applications.

I recently had a mole removed and the dermatologist gave me a small tube of Aquaphor to put on the wound while it was healing.  It's not the lip product, but the Active Ingredient is petrolatum used as a skin protectant. Good enough for me and my skin.

Valued Contributor

@Glorimar 

Hi during the pandemic between working from home and wearing masks I became a fan of lip masks . I wear either the Alpyn Beauty Willow & Sweet Agave plumping mask or the Lawless Beauty Forget the Filler overnight lip plumping mask . I use  them during the day with a nudish lip pencil and add night before bed  . I am 59 and its a soft look and very hydrating .

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Aquaphor's lip product does not contain petrolatum or mineral oil. Their other products do.

@SilleeMee 

Here are the listed ingredients on Ulta of Aquaphor's Lip Repair. Petrolatum is the first ingredient listed.

Ingredients

Petrolatum. Avobenzone, Octinoxate, Octisalate, Octocrylene, Oxybenzone, C18-38 Alkyl Hydroxystearoyl Stearate, Octyldodecanol, Glycerin, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Panthenol, Water, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Beeswax, C20-40 Alkyl Stearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Bht.Aquaphor Lip Repair #1

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From what I can tell from the Walgreens site there are 2 different Aquaphor Lip products, one with no sunscreen that is petro free, one with a chemical sunscreen that is petro based. 

Super Contributor

I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with it (re petrolatum above discussion). Just pointing out it is the main ingredient in Aquafor in case some were trying to avoid it for some reason.

I've had real great results with Silk Naturals Smooth And Full Black Label line. I use the clear both day and night. There are also several tinted options. My favorite of those is  'Endless'. For a bit thicker clear lip treatment, is also has a Fruit Mask. Ingredients are listed on line.  No petrolatum.

Super Contributor

@Shelbelle , Good to know.  I didn't see the other one (Aquafor without sunscreen and petrolatum).