Regular Contributor

Help for dehydrated, dry lips

I recently visited a very dry climate over the weekend and as a result my lips are severely dehydrated and dry. I used chapstick while I was away but it didnt help in preventing this. I've tried using a lip scrub, applying Vaseline, extra chapstic, all to no avail. Any ideas over how to get my lips back to normal quickly?

Honored Contributor

Re: Help for dehydrated, dry lips

@Glorimar   I love using Aquafor. There are some in small tubes just for "severly dry lips"...think it says that on the tubes. Chapstick tends to dry my lips out more. I wear this Aquafor during the day (blotted before lipstick or gloss) and definitely at bedtime.

Trusted Contributor

Pure good quality Vitamin E oil made from d-alpha e, not dl-alpha e, that is not diluted with other oils.

It has saved my lips and the skin around my lips.

Best wishes,Smiley Happy

Solar

Respected Contributor

@Shanus this is what I discovered works really well for me too. They say some lip balms just create a vicious cycle where the more you apply them, the more they dry out your lips so you need to keep reapplying. The Aquafor didn't do that for me, 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that Aquaphor is really good stuff.   It is also used on the skin for radiation patients, that's how moisturizing it is.  It's good for overnight and during the day I use Beekman lip serum or their goat milk chap stick.  My lips are chapped all year round, I always do the best I can and these products help.

Honored Contributor

Aquaphor is a very heavy blend of mineral oil and petroleum, sorry, but that would never go on my lips, instead try something that has much more naturals oils in it. I use one from Pacifica that is natural and vegan. 

Honored Contributor

Aquaphor's lip product does not contain petrolatum or mineral oil. Their other products do.

Esteemed Contributor

Could it be that they got sunburned too? 

A scrub might irritate them more and Chapstick has camphor in it.  So they are not a good idea.

Vaseline or Aquaphor are great and sometimes I put some CeraVe cream on when I do my hands.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Aquaphor's lip product does not contain petrolatum or mineral oil. Their other products do.

I had no idea there was a separate product for lips, I was only thinking of the original which is awful in my opinion. Thanks for clearing that up. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Make sure you're staying hydrated.  I like this product from Amazon.  Yes, it has a weird name, but it works well.  I've recommended it before and have received positive feedback. 

YuGlo Moisture & Collagen Booster Lip Sleeping Mask I Treatment to Restore, Hydrate & Plump Dry, Chapped Lips