Honored Contributor

My hairstylist never stopped working during the lock-downs.  She has a back-up salon in her home and I continued going.  Once the lock-downs were lifted I started going back to her primary salon.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I went to my hairdresser's once during Covid.  Worse h/c ever.  She had two little girls running around screaming.  I don't think her mind was on what she was doing.  I've since moved on to another girl and am very happy with her.

Esteemed Contributor

I have not set foot in a hair salon in almost four years.  I have been using two people during this time and they had transitioned their partnered business to a my home or yours well before COVID.  I'm very happy with the arrangement and will continue this way for the time being.  

Some may disagree, but I have high regard for the industrious professionals who were denied the right to make a living (unless one of the ranking gov. officials or a celebrity was a client), found a way to use their skill to support themselves. 

Honored Contributor

Mine opened back up as soon as it was allowed by the state.  During the time they were closed, you could actually buy your specific color from them along with instructions.  I already color at home, so did not take advantage of that.  I did just let my roots grow in during that time since it was just me and DH mostly stuck at home.

I wash my color out in the shower.  Don't see it to be any different than washing my hair in the shower except it takes a good bit longer.  I do use the upstairs shower since I color red and I don't want that getting into the grout of my white Master shower.  The upstairs shower is an all one piece unit.

The thing I do find problematic is I always use some sort of conditioning product after I color that requires 15 or so minutes to process.  I don't want to have to get back in the shower again, so I end up having to get down on my knees and drape myself over the side of the tub to get my head underneath the spout.  

Honored Contributor

My gov. reopened business way before most did.  He was criticized for it by many (and applauded by many).  I like him and will continue to vote for him as long as he runs but I don't know if that was a good decision or not.

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

I have not set foot in a hair salon in almost four years.  I have been using two people during this time and they had transitioned their partnered business to a my home or yours well before COVID.  I'm very happy with the arrangement and will continue this way for the time being.  

Some may disagree, but I have high regard for the industrious professionals who were denied the right to make a living (unless one of the ranking gov. officials or a celebrity was a client), found a way to use their skill to support themselves. 

@Trix 

Indeed!  My hairdresser found a way to continue earning a living to pay her rent, put food on the table, care for her child, etc., during the lock-downs.  Many (not all) of her clients, including me, continued getting our hair done in a clean, sanitized salon in a one-on-one only setting.  For that, I will always support her.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

And people here laugh at me for leaning over the side of the tub to wash and do other treatments to my hair.  Tub tall, me short.  It works.  During times I have to wait (like coloring) I go about my business of chores, computer, have a bite to eat, etc.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Icegoddess 

And people here laugh at me for leaning over the side of the tub to wash and do other treatments to my hair.  Tub tall, me short.  It works.  During times I have to wait (like coloring) I go about my business of chores, computer, have a bite to eat, etc.

@monicakm I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis.  I just see no reason for 2 showers in such a short time. Plus, I hate getting out of the shower and drying off.  I wouldn't wash color out of my hair that way.  It takes too long and you're breathing in those chemicals more.  

Esteemed Contributor

I guess different places have different rules. My salon closed down only for the amount of time that was mandatory. She needs to make a living. As soon as the mandate was lifted, she was up and running. Everyone wore masks. We do what we have to do.

Valued Contributor

I haven't stepped foot into a salon in over 6 years. My stylist comes to my home every 5 weeks. Cut, color and highlights in my laundry room. In addition, she cuts my husband's hair every 4 weeks. Her prices are less than what I paid when I went to a salon. I was grateful for this arrangement during the covid shutdown.I mentioned in another post that my sister is a hair stylist. She doesn't do my hair though. She is retired and travels a lot but still has her license.