Trusted Contributor
Thank you all. I really appreciate all your responses.
Occasional Contributor

I love the Alterna Bamboo 48 hour volumizer.  It is effective without making your hair feel tacky or gummy.  It's wonderful!  Good luck in your quest for voluminous hair!

Esteemed Contributor

@Wannabeincali wrote:

@kitty4me

Hi! 

hmmmmm....

The most volumizing products that I have tried DO have some type of "feel" to them -- maybe not "sticky", but you will feel a change in texture because to ADD volume to fine hair, the texture will be different. At least, that is my experience (and I own a LOT of different volumizers).  The ones that really volumize, yet least affect my natural hair texture are:

1- Redken Body Full thickening spray -- 

This really works, esp to give root lift, yet there is ZERO "sticky" feel, and the texture of my hair does not really feel much different than if I had used a light sculpting hair spray. I spritz it on either damp or dry hair, and then blow dry with a big round brush. The finish can be a bit dry, so I sometimes will use a bit of argan oil afterwards, as a finishing product for some added sheen. 

2- TIGI Small Talk --

this comes in a cute little round purple bottle. It has a pump. I put this on damp hair only. I blow dry it and Small Talk gives my hair LOTS of body, lift, and fullness, without any real noticeable change in overall hair texture (not sticky, nor stiff). 

These both work amazingly well to add fullness, body, and lift to limp and/or fine hair. I have med textured, loosely waved hair that is in a lob cut. I blow it dry VERY straight, so I use the volumizers to give me that LIFT at the back of the Lob (poof it out). I used to have long hair, and both of the above products also worked great.

____

Calista Tolls Embellish--

This is THE BEST volumizer I have everrrrrrrr tried on short - shoulder length hair, BUT it does alter your texture = Calista Tools Embellish (from here on QVC). I LOVE this product so much!! It did not work on my very long hair, but it is amazing on my Lob, and works fabulously on my mom's short hair. Talk about VOLUME! This stuff is awesome!! I use it on dried hair only. I clap a few times for my mom's very fine hair. I clap maybe 1 time for my heavier hair. The results are amazing! My hair looks like I just came out of the salon. The finish is not "sticky", but there is a definite change in texture. It also tends to dull down the shine in my blonde hair a bit, but a bit of coconut oil or argan puts the shine back in. 

PLease provide item # for the Calista Tools Embellish product.  CAnnot find it on QVC web site.

Respected Contributor

@CharleyGirl wrote:

I love the Alterna Bamboo 48 hour volumizer.  It is effective without making your hair feel tacky or gummy.  It's wonderful!  Good luck in your quest for voluminous hair!

I use this as well, I always try new products but this has become a staple, I use it from roots to mid shaft before I blow dry and get a lot more volume without losing shine or softness, its not cheap but I find it's worth it to use.

Esteemed Contributor

Have you ever tried leaning over forward so that your head is upside down, then blow drying your hair upside down?  Works for me, even back in the days when I had long hair.  Finger poof your hair as you dry it.  When you stand back upright in a minute or two, your hair will have lots of volume.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Regular Contributor

@catchersmom

Hi Smiley Happy

Sorry I am late to reply! I was out of town for a while.

Callista Tools Embellish

Yes, it is super easy to apply.

Apply to DRY hair only.

It is the consistency of toothpaste.

I put a dime size amount in my oalm. I rub my hands together, clap a few times, and then I rake it through my hair with my fingers, from roots to ends. You can use it to POOF hair up and out, or you can use it as a molding mud, to make hair piecey or slick it down in areas. A little goes a long way, so start with a small amount.

I do NOT brush my hair if this product is in it. I prefer to finger style, or use a wide tooth comb.

If you put too much in, jut keep fluffing up your hair with uour fingers. It is pretty forgiving, unless you really overdo it. 

The more you clap, the lighter the product will be. Fine hair needs more claps, and coarse heavy hair needs less claps (less claps means a heavier lay of product, which may flatten fine hair).

My mom is 95. I have to do her hair for her. Smiley Happy  She does complain a bit when I am picking at her hair, to make it POOF at the crown lol. The Embellish is a texturizer, so it is a bit tacky and pulls a tad when you work with it, but nothing that bad if you are used to hair product. My mom LOVES the end result, so she lets me use it on her. Smiley Happy Her hair looks salon perfect with Embellish!

I hope this info helps you!

Regular Contributor

@KathyPet

A9261.  Smiley Happy

This works best on CLEAN, DRY short fine to medium textured hair.

Super Contributor

@Wannabeincali We haven't received the product yet, so your info came in time. Thank you so much for sharing that. We'll probably be trying it out next weekend--lol maybe three generations of us at one time! That should be interesting. Smiley Happy

Hope you had a good trip!

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Trusted Contributor

I recently tried the "Volaire" volumizing shampoo, condish, and volumizing spray and it's really good!  Big, fluffy hair.  I ordered it here, it was a set of three.  I also ordered the volumizer spray on its own.  Good stuff, hair's not sticky at all, just airy and full.

Valued Contributor

Re: Hair Volumizer

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

@kitty4me,   I just purchased Bumble & Bumble's All-Style which is a heat protective product to protect hair from hair dryer but it also produces shine, bounce and volume.  I have not received it yet so I can't comment at this time.  I also have Embellish by Calista and it gives instant volume.

@Katcat1I really like the all style dryer cream!

I also have been really liking the Alterna caviar miracle multiplying volume mist (purple roundish bottle).  Both of these products give hair some volume without being drying, which a lot of other volumizing products can do.