Respected Contributor

Re: Going for my first Brazilian next week...

• @BirkiLadywrote:

@SurferWifeI give up! What's the difference of hard wax vs. regular wax? This thread has piqued my interest. Have often thought about it, but never really inquired or read up on it. Do costs vary for different waxing methods? (I feel so naive.) 

Seems like the laser would be a good option. Once theatments are done, never again. I'm all for that idea. Costs?

Mine will cost $60.....i haven’t looked into laser although I’m thinking of having that done on my facial hair.
Respected Contributor

@SurferWifewrote:

@BirkiLady...Hard was doesn’t require strips to remove. That’s basically it. You could probably Google it to get. More thorough technical answer. No hair removal process is permanent, not even laser. Even with waxing, because I’ve had it done for so many years, my hair does not grow back, especially on my legs. My esthetician will find a few random hairs (I go regularly every 8 weeks). I’ve. Ever tried laser Hair removal but I’ve heard it’s super painful I don’t do well with pain. For me, waxing isn’t painful, UNLESS it’s the week before my period. We are all more sensitive then.

@HULAGIRL...one more thing...always schedule your appointment 1-2 weeks AFTER your period. You’re much less sensitive then...TRUST ME ON THAT ONE, SISTER!

No more periods.   I had a hysterectomy!

Trusted Contributor

I don't think $60 is unreasonable ~ I'm sure it varies by location. 

I'm in NY ~

Super Contributor

@HULAGIRL

I don't know if they have "European wax spa"  where you live -

They are a chain of salons that do only waxing  and they use a imported blue European wax that is much more gentle  then traditional wax  and does not require waxing strips to take it off .  

I agree with the aspirin ,  Timing and  if someone can drive you certainly a glass of wine would help .   Good luck 🍀 

Esteemed Contributor

@HULAGIRLwrote:

@I am still oxoxwrote:

Wax or hair process?

What’s hair process?

Brazilian blow-out

Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillowwrote:

@HULAGIRLwrote:

@I am still oxoxwrote:

Wax or hair process?

What’s hair process?

Brazilian blow-out

I never heard of that........(I have to admit it struck me funny)... 😁

Honored Contributor

I have also done this for years.

It does hurt, but I try not to scream, 'cause after all I DID ask the esthetician to do it.  Doesn't seem fair to scream at her.

Once when I was visiting a friend in Atlanta (who doesn't have waxing, but does know about good spas), I made an appointment at a SPA she uses regularly.  I was sent to room # to get ready for the esthetician.  I was in there minding my own business when HE walked in.  

I  was too mortified to scream.  

My friend and I howled laughing all the way home, she kept saying 'the look on your face, the look on your face.'  Swore she had no idea.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@HULAGIRLwrote:

@Shanuswrote:

@HULAGIRLwrote:

Any tips??  (Besides a few glasses of wine before the appt.)

@HULAGIRL  I did it once....just once! They heard me scream in the next county. Guess I have  low pain tolerance. Woman in the next room didn’t mind a bit...not a peep. 

I can take the pain, but I might “accidentally” swear!   Sometimes when you hit your funny bone or stub your toe only a swear word will make it feel better.

@HULAGIRL  Oh, for sure, included w/ the scream were lotsa swear words. 

Honored Contributor

@HULAGIRLwrote:

Any tips??  (Besides a few glasses of wine before the appt.)

@HULAGIRL  Can’t swim (afraid of the water...especially ocean), so rarely wear swimsuit, why else need to have that done?

Honored Contributor

@SurferWifewrote:

@HULAGIRL...Aloha! I’ve been getting brazilian’s for 10+ years. I’ve been getting professionally waxed (eyebrows, lip, chin, underarms, legs, bikini (pre-Brazilian days) for many more years than that (25+). It doesn’t bother me at all anymore, but this being your first time, I would recommend taking 2 aspirin prior to your visit. Wine will relax you, so if you need it, drink up sister! If your esthetician is good at her trade she will make it comfortable for you. Ask her if she has some numbing gel. You can do this! After a few visits it’s a piece of cake! Heck, getting my upper lip waxed is more painful than my Brazilian.

@SurferWife  If you’re a surfer like your nickname, understand why necessary...in swimsuit often...what other reasons to have it done? That’s one funky position to be in for a stranger. Lol