Honored Contributor

Re: Going back to regular shampoo

I have used a modified curly regiment for years now. The modification is that I do use shampoo, but it is, along with my conditioner and styling products, sulfate-free.

I have had only good results.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've had hair loss problems for most of my adult life and for one year I went bald.  For me shampoos or conditioners never did anything to improve it. The only thing which has helped me is a hair growth laser device. As for my shampoo, I use an inexpensive and very good one made by Giovanni...Tea Tree Triple Treat is the name of it. It's top-rated by thousands. I buy it by the gallon but some places sell small 2-oz. travel/trial sizes and you can try it that way as I did.

ETA - Lately I've seen on the news where people are losing their hair b/c of covid and covid-related stress. I was sick with covid but I didn't lose any hair...TG! That's all I need right now.

I think that's my problem. My thyroid is fine, recently tested, and no change in my meds. But I'm stunned by how much hair is in my brush after every single brushing. The NYT did an article about COVID stress-related hair loss a couple of weeks ago that I mentioned in a post in one of the fora. I believe that's the problem, and the last thing I'm going to do is stress my scalp, with its ambivalent commitment to holding on to the fine strands it has, with a rubber scrubber or do anything else but baby the hair I've got left and hope for growth in the spring when magically everything will be all right. Or so I read.

Trusted Contributor

I feel for everyone that's struggling to find something that works on their hair.

It has been the same way for me.

Some of the sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners have been too rough for my hair, and have left it too dry.

My hair is very fine and thin, and breaks easily.

I have also tried some of the Curly Girl methods, and I have found that using a t-shirt to gently dry my hair has also made a nice difference.

My hair is wavy with some curl and it can frizz very easily so using a shirt helps the frizzing.

I currently use a sulfate-free Olive Oil shampoo and conditioner that I got from Cost Cutters which is part of the Regis salon chain. It is their own brand from their Regis salon line of products.

It really gets my hair nice and clean without drying it out.

I had tried a small sample size of Maui Moisture Shea Butter shampoo and conditioner that I had received in a Curly Hair Walmart Beauty Box.

I really liked it. It helped with the frizziness, too. It's also sulfate-free, and it's vegan, for those who might be interested in trying the line.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you all so very much for all the suggestions.

Respected Contributor

My hair is very straight. I use grocery store shampoo and conditioner. Nothing fancy or expensive. In fact, before the China Virus started, I bought about 4 containers of V8 shampoo in the 99 cent store and found it works just fine. I find that the most effective way to keep my hair squeaky clean, is to change my shampoo, every few weeks and then use small amounts of conditioner on it.I alternate between two shampoos. Any thing will do. 

I also am losing hair . Hard to say when it started, but I see it after brushing and shampooing my hair. It is not medical, I had that checked out, and it is not from medication either. Guess I will have to put up with it and see what happens. At one time in the last few months, it stopped falling out. That lasted about 1 month, and then w/o any changes in my life, it started again.

Respected Contributor

If you haven't tried Olaplex #4 and #5 (Shampoo/Cond.) and #3 once a week or so, you might want to give that a try.

Nordstrom has a 4pc holiday set right now for 60.00, good way to try it and they have frree shipping and free shipping for returns which is nice.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The NYM line is excellent/ NotYourMother's

You can get it at Ulta, Target or just about anywhere very reasonable and works well.

https://nymbrands.com/naturals/ 

Every collection in our naturals line is made with 98% naturally derived ingredients* and formulated without sulfates, gluten, parabens, dyes, & phthalates- so you can be worry-free and wild at heart.