Honored Contributor

Re: Going back to regular shampoo

[ Edited ]

@NewNickname1x1000   The reply from @Icegoddess is spot on for curly or straight hair. Sulfates, silicones and alcohol in all hair products will dry out your scalp and hair causing split ends and eventually breakage. 

It's the strong strong cleansing agents related to sulfates, not the idea of "clean" or "all natural". The silicones in products will coat the hair shaft so air cannot penetrate it to moisturize the strands, but more importantly, it dries out your scalp as well. Alcohol obviously is drying, too. 

Using or not using sulfates does not depend on whether or not you're trying to keep hair color from fading. If you're losing an abnormal amount of hair and are rightly concerned, I'd check with your doc. Hormones, thyroid, or meds you are taking may be the culprits. 

While waiting for your appointment, I recommend sleeping on a silk or satin pillowcase instead of cotton to reduce friction and breakage. It also helps with wrinkles as skin also tends to slide more easily. Try to limit hot tools and frequent washing...3 times a week should be enough and not dry out scalp. I also use a inexpensive (Dollar Store) rubber hair massager to stimulate my scalp in the shower while washing/conditioning my hair. The scalp is the only thing you can treat. As @Icegoddess  pointed out, hair is dead and you can only stop breakage, but not "treat" it. 

Please let me know if you see improvement after a doc's recommendations. ***Since you say health issues are under control, your scalp/hair may be going through a shed and repair stage and the issue may cure itself. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had hair loss problems for most of my adult life and for one year I went bald.  For me shampoos or conditioners never did anything to improve it. The only thing which has helped me is a hair growth laser device. As for my shampoo, I use an inexpensive and very good one made by Giovanni...Tea Tree Triple Treat is the name of it. It's top-rated by thousands. I buy it by the gallon but some places sell small 2-oz. travel/trial sizes and you can try it that way as I did.

ETA - Lately I've seen on the news where people are losing their hair b/c of covid and covid-related stress. I was sick with covid but I didn't lose any hair...TG! That's all I need right now.

Honored Contributor

I had a collection of Acure shampoos and conditioners before my house burned in 2019.  Had to toss my toiletries and start all over again.

What have I been using on my hair?  Suave Almond + Shea Butter.  I don't get the itchy scalp that plagued me when I was using Acure.

image.png

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@NewNickname1x1000   As you can see, there are as many suggestions as there are hair types. You will need to find what works for you, BUT I'd still suggest ruling out any medical causes. 

Honored Contributor

Like @Shanus , I've been using one of those scalp thingies in the shower.  And I switched from using a regular bath towel to dry my hair to a microfiber towel (the yellow ones they sell at Costco).

Switching towels has seemed to help.  My routine is wash 'n' wear hair.  I use shampoo and conditioner, but no styling products.  I don't even use a blow dryer.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

Like @Shanus , I've been using one of those scalp thingies in the shower.  And I switched from using a regular bath towel to dry my hair to a microfiber towel (the yellow ones they sell at Costco).

Switching towels has seemed to help.  My routine is wash 'n' wear hair.  I use shampoo and conditioner, but no styling products.  I don't even use a blow dryer.

Great point @just bee . Forgot about the microfiber towels. Turbie Twists were ahead of their time.

Respected Contributor

I have gotten my hair highlighted/lowlighted and have for many years.  I used sulfate free shampoo/conditioner.

My hair was breaking off so much using sulfate free. 

I switched back to regular shampoo/conditioner and my hair is growing back so much and seems thicker.  

I thought sulfate free would help save my color/highlights, but turns out I see no difference between sulfate free and regular shampoo as far as saving color.

I'm liking old fashioned products better.

Esteemed Contributor

When this all started last March, I had to take whatever the grocery loaded up.

Eyeopening!  Wasted so much for years.  Let's face it, all we want is clean and some conditioners can actually weigh down hair.  Giving up hot tools helps too.

Respected Contributor

I still try to use sulfate free shampoos because I think it helps my color to stay fresh.Shampoos with sulfates seem to dry me out too.

Trusted Contributor

Try johnson and johnson baby shampoo or J+J head to toe shampoo, worth a try.