Frequent Contributor

Going back to regular shampoo

Has anybody gone back to regular shampoo after using "all natural" or "clean shampoo?" I've had many hormonal medical issues/surgeries and wanted to try sulfate free shampoo/conditioners feeling they would be safer. Most health problems are under control now, but yesterday was the tipping point. I can not believe the amount of hair I lost yesterday. The most ever in 9 years. I can't use biotin in supplemental form. Also, I don't blame any products, I've tried so many different kinds. I just don't know if going back to the old stuff would make a difference. Are there any women with hair loss who have gone back and what do you use?

Respected Contributor

Re: Going back to regular shampoo

@NewNickname1x1000   Funny, we are on the same wave-length (no pun intended).  I just posted asking about shampoo & conditioner suggestions for my hair as well.  Like you, I've been trying a lot of sulfate-free "healthy" products, that just aren't working well on my hair.  We can each check out each others suggestions for this, and maybe we'll come across something that will work for us.  Woman Wink

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

I used to use Wen - or other cleansing conditioners- most days and a 'healthy' sulfate free shampoo/conditioner once or twice a week. Since the pandemic, though-  I've been on a break coloring my hair- so sulfate free isn't a current need.

Right now I'm using up whatever drug store brands I've stockpiled  over time- and am looking forward to seeing what mother nature hands me in the coming months! 

Honored Contributor

Going back to regular shampoo

I use sulfate free and I have a couple of sulfate shampoos.   In recent years, I never used condiitoners because they weigh my hair down.  However, I am loving this spray on conditioner that gives me a little body and a beautiful shine, some softness and tangle free.  It is Mario Badescu's spray on conditioner.  I also love his gentle Chamomile shampoo and use Acure shampoos and have a few others.  I am crazy when it comes to shampoos and body wash.  One is never enough.  I always need 3 or 4.  lol

kindness is strength
Frequent Contributor

I think my husband has store bought shampoo in his bathroom. I am letting my grey/gray come in naturally. I haven't had color or any heat on my hair since summer of 2017. I've only trimmed my hair a few times since then also. Thank you for answering @Ibby114 and good luck with mother nature.

Frequent Contributor

Oh thank you @jellyBEAN I didn't see your post. LOL I'll have to check it out.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you @Katcat1 I'll have to check them out.

Honored Contributor

If you're using styling products that contain silicones, the sulfate-free shampoos might not be able to get your hair clean.  Since I have been coloring my hair red, I have been using sulfate-free shampoos for years. I use a basic Curly Girl Method which avoids sulfates, silicones, and drying alcohols.  But, even then, since I ave hard water, I'll use a sulfate shampoo to get the buildup off before I color.  A good one is Malibu Undo Goo or for hard water buildup Malibu Hard Water shampoo.  However, your hair is dead, so I don't know that product build-up on the hair would cause hair loss.  I would concentrate on the scalp.  But, first, you might want to rule out a medical condition.  

Valued Contributor

I stopped using sulfate free quite some time ago because my hair always looked awful.  Never have looked back.  

Honored Contributor

My hair always looked greasy with sulphate free shampoo so I don't use it.  

Right now, I'm using Biolage Hydrasource shampoo.  I use a clarifying shampoo once or twice a week and a little leave-in conditioner most days.  I might have used a hair dryer twice this year.  I usually let it air dry.  

I've always had straight hair but have 2 curly spots ever since menopause that stick out like like Pippi Longstocking's pigtails. I sometimes use a flat iron on those two places.