Super Contributor

Re: Going Gray/Letting Gray Grow In

@Katcat1

I agree with you. Once you stop coloring your hair, you do NOT miss the two hours (or more) spent sitting in a salon with chemicals on your head, lol. I don't miss doing it and I definitely don't miss paying for it!

I'm 62 and I have perfectly blended salt and pepper hair. People ask me all the time where I get it done! I remember when my mom was my age and her hair was the same as mine is now. I would get so upset when she would talk about coloring it because it was so beautiful.

I'm not interested in trying to look different than what God and Mother Nature gave me any more. My husband never notices hairstyles, hair colors, makeup or fashion choices anyway, LOL. Seriously, I realize it is for me and nobody else but I'm quite comfortable with what nature has provided me with since I stopped coloring.

Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvr  You also know who you really are.  When I was coloring my hair and got into my late 50's, I wanted to know what I looked like with my natural color hair.  I am so happy and lucky to have healthy hair (not dried out from too much over processing).  To each his own but I do not miss the coloring.  Plus, Gray is in!  Young women are going gray!  LOL  You live in a lovely state.  I watch a program that takes place in Greensboro and that is very pretty and Charleston is super lovely.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

@Katcat1

Thank you! We are in the Winston Salem area and have only lived here for two and a half years. We just love it! We moved here from central Wisconsin so you can just imagine how much we are appreciating the weather, lol.

I stopped coloring for pretty much the same reason; I'd been doing it so long that I had NO IDEA what was really under there. I could see that I had salt and pepper roots, but they never got longer than half an inch when I was coloring.

It is so liberating! I love my hair and I could not care less if it "shows my age". I'm 62 and can't change that so why not go with the flow!

I've also started using Devacurl's No Poo, even though I have very wavy/only slightly curly hair. Wow! What a difference it has made in the silkiness, smoothness and manageability in my hair to be sulfate free. I never really had a problem with my hair at all until I started using it on a whim and I can't believe what a difference it makes.

All in all, I realize not everyone has the guts or desire to cut all their hair off to one or two inches like I did but what the heck..its hair..it grows. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvr  I live just outside Chicago so I am from the midwest too.  Enjoy North Carolina and it's lovely weather.  Take care.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I colored my hair from 30-63 and then I went cold turkey to gray.  I cut it so short that my husband called me "Butch".  It took two hair cuts to go entirely gray (with white streaks); I now have slightly curly hair mid shoulder length. I get it trimmed every 2-3 months.  It is so pretty, so easy and DH loves it (a man usually not given to profuse compliments). Can't even believe how easy and cheaper is to maintain !