Super Contributor

Re: Going Gray/Letting Gray Grow In

Thank you for the amazing amount of tips!  My mom is 70 and her hair is short, above her shoulders.  I am visiting her next week, I live out of state and we are getting our hair done but she has been growing it out for a while.  Thanks again!

Trusted Contributor

I follow Uppiesbeads on YouTube and she has the most gorgeous hair. She has been letting her roots grow out and it looks fablous.  She has blondish hair and the silver around her face looks so pretty. I know that doesn't really help but thought you might want to take a look at her process.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

Call around to a few hair salons and tell them your mom wants to stop coloring her gray hair.  Take her in for a consult and see what they think and if you agree.  Don't try to do anything on your own, or at least I wouldn't. 

I have baby fine hair and my hair is not silver it is white so I have it professionally colored every four weeks.  I would let it grow out and  but I am afraid my scalp would show.  I wear mine short as well.  I have a light to light medium complexion and dark brown eyes.

@KentuckyWoman  There’s more contrast between darker hair and scalp that very light (grey/white) hair and the color of the scalp. It seems to me, your scalp would show less...the reason many older women w/ dark hair that has thinned go lighter.

Actually, I have very fine hair, but a lot of it. However, because there is no color at all in my white hair I can see my scalp through it.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

Call around to a few hair salons and tell them your mom wants to stop coloring her gray hair.  Take her in for a consult and see what they think and if you agree.  Don't try to do anything on your own, or at least I wouldn't. 

I have baby fine hair and my hair is not silver it is white so I have it professionally colored every four weeks.  I would let it grow out and  but I am afraid my scalp would show.  I wear mine short as well.  I have a light to light medium complexion and dark brown eyes.

@KentuckyWoman  There’s more contrast between darker hair and scalp that very light (grey/white) hair and the color of the scalp. It seems to me, your scalp would show less...the reason many older women w/ dark hair that has thinned go lighter.

Actually, I have very fine hair, but a lot of it. However, because there is no color at all in my white hair I can see my scalp through it.

@151949  I think it’d be more noticeable if your were darker, no?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

@151949  I think it’d be more noticeable if your were darker, no?

NO - If my hair was dark you would not see my scalp thru it - I can see my scalp because there is no color in my hair.

Respected Contributor

@ladygirl wrote:

Thank you for the amazing amount of tips!  My mom is 70 and her hair is short, above her shoulders.  I am visiting her next week, I live out of state and we are getting our hair done but she has been growing it out for a while.  Thanks again!

Above the shoulders is not considered short.  Even chin length may be considered medium length.

If your mother wants to grow out her hair, she needs to consider cutting it considerably shorter.  Otherwise she will have a lot of constrast for a year or so.

Valued Contributor

@marmarbrooklyn wrote:

@ladygirl

HI i'm 54 with dark brown hair and my silver is coming in like highlights . About a month ago I posted about a great new book I had purchased written by Lorraine Massey professional hair stylist and  author of the curly girl book . The name of the book is The SIlver Handbook . A few poster here questioned why people need a book and that they just let their hair go silver and did nothing different . I did the same thing, but for some women that is not the case. This book had lots of tip and styling/coloring help . Best thing most of the women are over 40 .

Good luck 

@marmarbrooklyn - I read your earlier post and bought the book - I love it!  It's a great book, a lot of fun and good information, even for women who don't need it, and I recommend it.  I'm trying for the 3rd time to transition Smiley Happy.   

Valued Contributor

@qtrmoonlady1

Thanks yes I thought it was a fun read with lots of tips. My silver is coming in like highlights and I have a short pixie cut . You can never have too many tips and tricks up your sleeve !

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It must not have been too traumatic because I don't even remember that phase.  I quit coloring when I retired and immediately had surgery which kept me in for about 3 months.  My short hair grows so fast, by the time I was out and about, that difficult "in between" stage had passed.

Like @Kachina624... I also retired and had double knee replacement. I cut my colored hair short and it only took three months to get all the old colored hair left cut off to where  I was all white. You just DEAL WITH THE TWO TONE LOOK for a short time....i actually received so many compliments when my hair was two toned!  More gan ai get now all silver. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@software wrote:

I don't know your mom's age but once I went gray, I had to wait about 10 years for it to be pretty and manageable.    She may need to wait a while & try again.

I understand her situation, I'm a low maintenance gal but I colored my own hair until the gray grew out enough to be soft and silvery, instead of unruly and wire-y.

@software  Not all grey hair is unruly or wiry.....mine never has been, but I deep control at least twice a week. It’s also curly, so do take extra care to add argan oil while still wet to add moisture.

I have friends whose gray hair grew in beautifully, I was envious, I got tired of always having to color.

Then finally mine turned pretty too, nothing I tried helped previously.  Even salon treatments.