Super Contributor

Going Gray/Letting Gray Grow In

My mom has been trying to let her gray roots grow out, so she does not have to go get her hair colored every month.  She has short hair.  It's not looking too good.  My neice who does hair (mostly pretty young woman though) did do some blonde hightlights with the gray and it looked ok but she does not have experience with older women and doing gray/white colors. It helped for a few weeks but is not really helping her grow the white/gray out as she has medium brown hair.  A friend of mine said her sister let hers grow in and her stylist added brown low lights.  Does anyone have any recommendations or tips on how to do that while still looking somewhat presentable?  I've never found or heard of anyone with experience with gray hair.  Any tips would be appreciated, thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Going Gray/Letting Gray Grow In

Has she considered wearing a wig for a while?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I want to do the same but will just put in some temporary color while it grows out.

Respected Contributor

When I grew out my short hairstyle a few years ago, my stylist put a ton of blonde highlights in. It really helped and took me about 4 months. I get lots of compliments on my silver hair.

tell her to hang in...it will work. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm 71 and have a short chin length bob (baby fine, but thick).  I used to have light brown hair which I would get hi-lited, but then the gray started coming in.  Then I would lo-lite it, but they faded too much.  I decided to let it go all gray and I get a lot of compliments -- it's a silvery color with no yellow gray.

Honored Contributor

It must not have been too traumatic because I don't even remember that phase.  I quit coloring when I retired and immediately had surgery which kept me in for about 3 months.  My short hair grows so fast, by the time I was out and about, that difficult "in between" stage had passed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@ladygirl

HI i'm 54 with dark brown hair and my silver is coming in like highlights . About a month ago I posted about a great new book I had purchased written by Lorraine Massey professional hair stylist and  author of the curly girl book . The name of the book is The SIlver Handbook . A few poster here questioned why people need a book and that they just let their hair go silver and did nothing different . I did the same thing, but for some women that is not the case. This book had lots of tip and styling/coloring help . Best thing most of the women are over 40 .

Good luck 

Esteemed Contributor

I let my hair grow out.  I now have silver hair with  lots of  compliments.  I guess you just have to wait it out and see.  Gray hair is often color resistant  so a professional is better off doing it if she changes  her mind.  

Honored Contributor

I feel sorry for women who go gray when they color their hair, it's such a stark contrast. I stopped coloring my med. brown hair in my 40's and never looked back. My gray came in like gray highlights and at 67 the gray is still coming in slowing, but surely. Find someone who can do a reverse frosting in the color of gray she has, that's what my cousin did and it looked beautiful.

Honored Contributor

I don't know your mom's age but once I went gray, I had to wait about 10 years for it to be pretty and manageable.    She may need to wait a while & try again.

I understand her situation, I'm a low maintenance gal but I colored my own hair until the gray grew out enough to be soft and silvery, instead of unruly and wire-y.