Respected Contributor

Re: Go grey or keep dying???

The lady on Q here that sells the sheets...the fleece ones...she's the rep for them can't remember her name!  Anyway she always looks terrific to my eye with her silver/white hair...it's short but stylish and she is always dressed so chic too.  I WISH when I am her age I could do that BUT I do not have the genes for it.  My parents both had the ugly kind of grey hair.  It really is "gray" not silver....not white....not shimmering...thin thin thin almost bald and dungeon dull grey with a few ugly darker hairs mixed in here or there LOL!  

My Grandma didn't color her's ever and it looked just like that until she passed at 95....my Grandpa had a couple of grey hairs floating around his head...maybe 10.   

If you have that intense beautiful silver hair I have seen on some ladies out there I say rock it out for sure ....but for me...I see lot's of hair coloring in my future for many yrs to come if I am so blessed to be here.  Coloring gives my hair more fullness and body...no damage the salon I go to uses a really great product with none of the bad stuff.  

I wish it was cheaper and have thought about trying it myself but not yet...I still have to much of my natural brown dull ash color mixed in to risk getting orange hair!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

The big question for those who think grey hair makes a woman look older is that she usually IS older. So she’s just choosing to accept the age she has reached. Is there something wrong with that?

@Shanus, of course there is nothing wrong with going gray. But it does NOT mean that she has accepted her age any more than a woman who colors her hair.

I'm not even sure what accepting an age means. I bet we all have varying definitions.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

The big question for those who think grey hair makes a woman look older is that she usually IS older. So she’s just choosing to accept the age she has reached. Is there something wrong with that?

@Shanus, of course there is nothing wrong with going gray. But it does NOT mean that she has accepted her age any more than a woman who colors her hair.

I'm not even sure what accepting an age means. I bet we all have varying definitions.

Ya ...there is no right or wrong answer to this question...do what you enjoy most!  I saw a young woman with purple stripes in her hair and complimented her on the look.  I can't do that with my hair and look nice like she does but hey it's ok I know and she knows and everybody else knows humans don't naturally have purple striped hair LOL!  

Hair color is like makeup or clothes in my mind....have fun....do what makes you happy.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

No, @Shanus there is nothing wrong with that. But the same ? would apply to those women who get Botox, fillers etc. Aren't they not accepting the age they have reached? To each their own in what makes a woman comfortable.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's such a personal decision as to whether to go gray or not. My youngest sister decided to go gray last spring but she has long hair and had help from a hairdresser to pull out the old dye and recolor her hair an ombre gray and black. She recently had her hair shortened but it's still long. It looks fabulous on her! The color is edgy and because she has wavy hair, she can style it in many ways! My sister has my mom's olive complexion (and she also inherited her premature gray hair too). My mom had naturally black hair and went gray early and it always suited her but she had a youthful complexion that contrasted with her hair color. My sister also has that as well.

I personally don't think I would go gray. My complexion is celtic and my hair color is brown with reddish highlights. I don't think I suit gray and don't wear gray clothes very often either.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

No, @Shanus there is nothing wrong with that. But the same ? would apply to those women who get Botox, fillers etc. Aren't they not accepting the age they have reached? To each their own in what makes a woman comfortable.

@Trinity11. IMHO, there are some things that the French refer to as trying to be a lamb instead of a mutton. Maybe if you’re a Hoywood movie star, a Victoria Secret model or your vocation depends on your maintaining looking 35 forever, then yes, Botox/fillers are the norm. Because of the business I’m in, I think there’s a certain inner (& outer) beauty when a woman takes care of her skin, facials, maybe laser to remove spots, improve texture, peels and non-invasive procedures. At 70, maybe 75, women (& men) are expected to have some degree of wrinkling or lines...less depending on their level of skincare. 

When I see a woman of that age, face-lifted, filled and somewhat frozen w/ Botox, maybe also hair colored, to me   I’m seeing a woman not willing to accept her age, trying to recapture her youth. It usually doesn’t work. Hair is thinner, hands are showing age, there are still lines under the eyes or around & in the lips. Most docs do not like to “fill” right under the thin skin under eyes...sometimes it leaves lumps. To eliminate the lip lines, I’ve seen “duck lips”, ones that are over filled, unnatural or uneven. Sometimes one brow is significantly higher than the other. These are dead giveaways. Botox/fillers only last about 4 months. Some women I see are always in the apologetic state of “Oh, excuse the wrinkles & grey roots. I’m due for my Botox appt. and hair color”. That seems sad to me. It’s my opinion.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Trinity11. IMHO, there are some things that the French refer to as trying to be a lamb instead of a mutton. Maybe if you’re a Hoywood movie star, a Victoria Secret model or your vocation depends on your maintaining looking 35 forever, then yes, Botox/fillers are the norm. Because of the business I’m in, I think there’s a certain inner (& outer) beauty when a woman takes care of her skin, facials, maybe laser to remove spots, improve texture, peels and non-invasive procedures. At 70, maybe 75, women (& men) are expected to have some degree of wrinkling or lines...less depending on their level of skincare. 

When I see a woman of that age, face-lifted, filled and somewhat frozen w/ Botox, maybe also hair colored, to me   I’m seeing a woman not willing to accept her age, trying to recapture her youth. It usually doesn’t work. Hair is thinner, hands are showing age, there are still lines under the eyes or around & in the lips. Most docs do not like to “fill” right under the thin skin under eyes...sometimes it leaves lumps. To eliminate the lip lines, I’ve seen “duck lips”, ones that are over filled, unnatural or uneven. Sometimes one brow is significantly higher than the other. These are dead giveaways. Botox/fillers only last about 4 months. Some women I see are always in the apologetic state of “Oh, excuse the wrinkles & grey roots. I’m due for my Botox appt. and hair color”. That seems sad to me. It’s my opinion.

@Shanus,

Am I mistaken or did you post recently that you got botox or some other procedure done by a doctor friend?

Your post seems at odds with what you do in your own life.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus,

Am I mistaken or did you post recently that you got botox or some other procedure done by a doctor friend?

Your post seems at odds with what you do in your own life.

@Ms tyrion2  You are correct. My “friend” & surgeon injected a tiny bit of Botox after dinner just for the experience and so I’d know what I was talking about to others. I never had it done again. It smoothed out the outer corners of my eyes in a way that didn’t look natural to me. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@ShanusThat's just it. The statement when you see a woman 70 or 75. Well there are a lot of women out there who may be 70 or 75 who don't look it and you would never guess that they are actually years older than what you would think. Why you may ask do they look so much younger? Because they color their hair and work very hard to maintain their appearance. They stayed out of the sun and some just have good genetics. They don't use Botox either and there are actually women who aren't more than 10 percent gray who still have their natural color. The ones who do use Botox have it done by a real professional...not someone at a party.

I think there are always some women who cannot accept their age. Long blonde extensions and a wrinkled face, short mini skirts are the extreme. Too many fillers or a bad facelift. However, there are a whole lot of women that I personally know who are in their 60's who could pass for in their 40's. It happens... They do exist. That's why I dislike saying that women in their 70's are expected to have this or that. Some just don't. It's a fact.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whenever this topic comes up, it is always combative.

DyEing my hair has nothing to do with not accepting my age.  Both my sister and mother died in their 40s.  At a few weeks shy of 68, I embrace my age.

I wear make-up because I think it makes me look better.  My hair is my crowning glory.