Respected Contributor

I have dark brown chin length hair and whispy bangs.  My hair has thinned but not sure if it is due to Tamoxifen (2 1/2 more years to go) or genes...I am 65.  I have been thinking of  cutting it short and going grey in hopes that it might stop thinning if I stop dying it.  I am so very tired of the cost as well.  Any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: Go grey or keep dying???

[ Edited ]

That’s exactly what I’ve done except mine was light-medium blonde. Just got it cut again today. This is the shortest I’ve had in a long time. 

Like it it or not, that’s what I’m doing.

I took this picture today.

9D4242A4-02BA-495C-934B-2A92108D7C63.jpeg

Frequent Contributor

I'm 69 and have short hair but I two-color dye mine. a soft blonde and soft medium brown.  I thought about going natural and my hair colorist only used the blonde dye and not any of the brown.  I don't have thinning hair but the color washed me totally out and I looked sickly. My hair had no dimension and just wasn't very pretty. I have a lot of gray so that showed through as well.  I went for 6 weeks and decided to go back to coloring.  It made me look and feel so much better.  I will color my hair until I die!  I too, hated the expense by the way.

This is my experience.  Your's may be very different.

Honored Contributor

I don't have gray hair but my friend has all-gray, almost white hair and she doesn't color it. Instead she uses a temporary color mousse to give her hair a light-blond look to it. She told me once that her hair is just too fine and thin to have it colored all the time. She's afraid it would get too thin and damaged from the coloring process.  So she just uses the mousse on it and that seems to work for her hair without damaging it.

Honored Contributor

My mom went gray early, all the women on her side do.  She started coloring her hair chestnut brown in her early 40's and over the years it began to thin badly.  She'd once had long thick hair by the time she was in her 60's it was thin and brittle.  She stopped coloring her hair and had it cut into short pixie.  She only did it because she thought that was better looking than scraggly died brown hair....she was right.  But a funny thing happened, her hair began to grow out strong and healthy and a lovely silvery color.  It was very pretty even the very thin part on top filled out.  I shared my mom's experience with a work friend who was 70ish and the same thing happened to her.  When she cut off the old unhealthy hair and stopped coloring it, her hair began to grow in nicely.  

Trusted Contributor

My mom dyed her hair for most of her life. We have premature greys in our family. She decided later in life to enhance the grey with a rinse. She got more compliments on her hair. She took great pride in it. I think you just have to do what makes you happy. Hope you find that. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl  I decided to give up the color battle 5 years ago.  I went totally grey in my 30's...

At age 58  I cut my long over processed colored to death hair super shorty to get most of the color off and grow it out natural.  

I am 63 now and that was one the Best decisions. I ever made stopping the color battle.

Society makes us feel like we should be shamed not to color our grey hair.  Much of that is the color industry and the hair salons.

Trusted Contributor

@OKPrincess

Pretty!! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Renata22 wrote:

@OKPrincess

Pretty!! Smiley Happy

Thank you. It’s dark brown under the gray on the neckline. I think most of the blonde is out. I’ll look for my picture from 2 weeks ago. 

Contributor

I AM GOING THRU THE SAME DELIMA...ITS ONLY A COUPLE OF WEEKS AND

I AM NOT TOTALLY GRAY...WHAT TO DO