Super Contributor

Re: Go grey or keep dying???

I    am growing mine out, but yeah, I am still very brunette, but there are some gorgeous YT-ers going gray, check them out for inspiration.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Shanus, my m-i-l is 89 years old, don't know who she thinks she's kidding with no grey.  All you have to do is look at her skin and know she's still coloring her hair.

@CelticCrafter, perhaps she isn't trying to kid people; perhaps she just likes the look.

@suzyQ3.

Much like the vast majority of women who have blond hair. Or streaks. I don't think anyone thinks it's all natural.

IMO, hair color is like makeup. It's an enhancement to the appearance. 

Respected Contributor

I am 67 and still dying it.  I have a lot of gray now but not completely gray so it would be that ugly brown gray possum mixture if I let it grow natural.  I wish there was a machine that could tell you how much gray you have.

Esteemed Contributor

@Good4u-- I love your plan!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

All I would say is do what makes you happy.

In my experience, there is zero vaidity to the idea that dying your hair makes you look more youthful. 

All of us display our age in a variety of ways.  The way we dress, the phrases we use in conversation, our hands and necks, and even (especially!) the way we move our bodies through space. 

Just go with what you like.  There is no fountain of youth and humans are remarkably good at judging the age of another.  The sole exception I can think of is children.  They can't tell if you're 30 or 100.  The rest of us can.

Honored Contributor

@Oostende wrote:

All I would say is do what makes you happy.

In my experience, there is zero vaidity to the idea that dying your hair makes you look more youthful. 

All of us display our age in a variety of ways.  The way we dress, the phrases we use in conversation, our hands and necks, and even (especially!) the way we move our bodies through space. 

Just go with what you like.  There is no fountain of youth and humans are remarkably good at judging the age of another.  The sole exception I can think of is children.  They can't tell if you're 30 or 100.  The rest of us can.

I respectfully disagree. What about all the studies on twins where one spent their life sunbathing, the other avoided the sun. One can look years older than the other. 

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11 I respectfully acknowledge your point.  Would you think the twin who destroyed her skin would look more youthful than the other twin, merely because she dyes her hair?  Or because her makeup or clothing was more trendy?  I doubt it.

Disease can wreak havoc on the physical appearance but it doesn't really change unconscious ageing cues that we all see.  A seventy-year-old with cancer doesn't look 80, nor does she look 60.  Most of us are pretty good at telling the difference in ages.

Moreover, all of us have reference points.  I'm 54.  I know what that looks like.  My mom is 77.  I know what that looks like.  None of us operate in a vacuum.

That's why I say do what you like.  I suspect we could both agree on that.

Contributor

I just want to add to this discussion that when my grandmother passed away at 89 years of age she had beautiful skin and her hair was a lovely gray.  She was blessed with beautiful cheekbones but most of all she had a kind spirit and a loving heart. Peace of mind, peace with your fellow man, and most of all peace with God can give you a beautiful countenance throughout your entire life.

Honored Contributor

The only way to know for sure - try it!

Rather than covering the grey, I had been lightening my hair since I was about 50 years old to camouflage the gray.  Worked great for me ... I was a beige blonde!

I retired in 2010, and in August 2012 I decided to "go grey."   By April 2013, I went back to coloring my hair.  I hated the way I looked "au naturale."  What others thought didn't matter.  It was my hair on my head!

I'm still coloring my hair.   I subscribe to the hair color through Amazon and every month - another box arrives.

Valued Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

The only way to know for sure - try it!

Rather than covering the grey, I had been lightening my hair since I was about 50 years old to camouflage the gray.  Worked great for me ... I was a beige blonde!

I retired in 2010, and in August 2012 I decided to "go grey."   By April 2013, I went back to coloring my hair.  I hated the way I looked "au naturale."  What others thought didn't matter.  It was my hair on my head!

I'm still coloring my hair.   I subscribe to the hair color through Amazon and every month - another box arrives.

@ALRATIBA I tried 4 times to go gray over the past several years, but failed every time, most recently last August.  While I loved the shade of gray, it was blending in nicely with the growing-out hair coloring, I was disappointed to realize that I just didn't feel pretty.  I think that's the main thing to consider - do we feel pretty with the color of our hair?  Many feel pretty with it silver and white, others feel pretty with it colored.  When I went back to coloring, I felt pretty again.  It's all a matter of how we feel about ourselves when we look in the mirror.  Heart