Honored Contributor

Re: Full makeup - at what age is it appropriate?

@monicakm - your granddaughter is such a pretty young woman.  With her complexion she needs no foundation.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was allowed to wear Lip Gloss around 13 years old, and minimal makeup at 14..My dad was strict, he hated seeing young ladies with a face full of makeup at such a young age. Mind you this was the 70's......

I think I wore full face makeup in High School, not foundation, just lip gloss, mascara, liner and blush!

I have two daughters and one was much more interested in makeup than the other. She started at about 13 and my older daughter maybe 15...She just wasn't that into it...Which was fine by my husband! lol...Ithink if done with a light hand and very soft colors it's fine..... 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm 

Your granddaughter looks lovely!

Honored Contributor

Thank you @JudyL but she's not a young woman.  She is a grandbaby (and always will be) Smiley Happy  Her brother recently got his first job.  He was telling me how hard they work him (bless his baby heart).  I said "Remember when you were 3 and I kept telling you not to get any older?  Don't you wish you had listened?" Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

I don't remember but I would have loved that lipstick.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree.  You tell a 16 year old that and they're most likely going to take FULL advantage.

10 Most Unusual Hair and Makeup Looks 2015

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Thank you @JudyL but she's not a young woman.  She is a grandbaby (and always will be) Smiley Happy  Her brother recently got his first job.  He was telling me how hard they work him (bless his baby heart).  I said "Remember when you were 3 and I kept telling you not to get any older?  Don't you wish you had listened?" Smiley Wink

@monicakm - LOL even when she is well into adulthood and a young woman, your granddaughter will always be your "grandbaby" and so will your grandson.  Bet he does wish he'd listened to you!  HAHA

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@SilleeMee 

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree.  You tell a 16 year old that and they're most likely going to take FULL advantage.

10 Most Unusual Hair and Makeup Looks 2015

@monicakm 

Nothing wrong with that. They're not breaking the law or doing something immoral. Just let them have fun. You're only young once.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

As long as they're in my house, they'll follow my rules.  Different parenting opinions.  It's fine. 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   Back in the 50's, when I was about 10 years old, there was a cosmetic line for young girls, that was sold in

department stores. It was called "Little Lady" and the packaging

was adorable.

My mother bought a few items for me.  Strawberry lip pomade

was colorless when applied and had a strawberry flavor. There was a bubble bath, bath powder and I think there was a light fragrance cologne.

I had been doing my nails and wearing pink nail polish since I was 7.

I had been using Jergen's Hand Lotion since I was about 10

and used a light moisturizer when I was about 12.

The first make up I bought and used was Ponds Pink Sugar

lipstick, when I was about 12 years old. I never wore it to school. By the time I was 15 or 16, I wore eyeliner and mascara for special occasions, like going to a dance.

By 17 or 18, I wore eyeshadow , blush and translucent powder. I never wore foundation. I had good skin and never liked the feeling of foundation. In my 40's I discovered Bare

Minerals and used that foundation some times. I no longer use that either.

My daughters wore makeup at young ages, because all three danced and wore makeup on stage. When they were junior high age they would wear lip gloss and maybe added mascara

and eyeliner at high school age.