Honored Contributor

Full makeup - at what age is it appropriate?

I'm just curious about this.  I know times have changed and are changing constantly regarding what is appropriate regarding makeup for school children but just wondered what your thoughts were on this.  

I know several people whose children wear full makeup to school.  Varying ages from like 11-12 through 16.  We're tallking false eyelashes, brows, eye shadow, foundation, blush, bronzer - the works, and acrylic nails.  And, of course - hair --- coloring and different treatments.  

I know I'm old fashioned, but this seems to be starting young for all of this stuff???  Is this the norm now???

Just wondering since I am out of the loop for sure..... 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Full makeup - at what age is it appropriate?

I started wearing lipstick and mascara  in 7th grade. I was "11"ish.... nothing dramatic...

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I think I was 15 when I was allowed to wear a lip gloss --- very light pink!  And that was it until I was I think a senior and then I wore a bit of mascara.  When I was 16 my sister started putting Sun-In on my hair.  I think that's what it was called???  That's it!  Of course, that was a million years ago!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

I think I was 15 when I was allowed to wear a lip gloss --- very light pink!  And that was it until I was I think a senior and then I wore a bit of mascara.  When I was 16 my sister started putting Sun-In on my hair.  I think that's what it was called???  That's it!  Of course, that was a million years ago!!!  

@AngelPuppy1  Yes, Sun-In & they still sell it!  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Trusted Contributor

My daughter is 11 and she is starting to wear minimal makeup. She likes gloss, mascara, and sometimes a little eye shadow.  She seems more into skincare than beauty right now and that's fine with me.

I wouldn't want her to wear a full face of makeup at this age.  She's definitely too young.  However, I have seen pictures of some of the girls she goes to school with.  Some of them wear A LOT of makeup and it's mind-boggling to me. It just doesn't look right on such a young age, but that's just my opinion.  To each her own.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1   Yes! 11 years old was  A million years ago for me too😄.  About 56 years ago to be exact.  I also started  wearing pantyhose hose in 7th grade. And started my period🤫.

I also went steady with a BOY in 7th grade.  His name was Andy Pitts....😄 He was real short and I was real tall!  We were quite a pair. I still have a picture of us.  All we did was hold hands and he carried my books for me....we NEVER  even kissed🥰.  He gave me a St. Christopher's medal to wear around my neck....

it did end badly....he left me a few months later to be with my BEST GIRLFRIEND ......( afterthat as she was no longer my friend😡) 7th grade was a real wake-up call for me....and a lot of FIRSTS😆

Respected Contributor

I see so many young ladies wearing tons of makeup.  My best friend has a daughter that has been wearing full face since 12. I think it's a bit much. I wore Bonnie bell (remember that name) lip smackers first and then cover girl pot of gloss as a freshman. I was really into skin care. I was always into my mom stuff. Drove her nuts. I was a big Tom boy so makeup was not important then. Don't look at my vanity now! Lol I also had a few bouts with acne and my derm didn't want me wearing much makeup.  I learned something from her that I still do today. She told me to run hot water in the sink and put a washcloth in it, and put on my face until it is cold. Do it for 20 mins a day. I still give myself facials like this to this day! 

Contributor

Yardley was my favorite in 8th grade. I started wearing a little eye makeup about 14. No foundation or much lipstick.

Honored Contributor

@PMG055 wrote:

Yardley was my favorite in 8th grade. I started wearing a little eye makeup about 14. No foundation or much lipstick.

@PMG055  There was a frosted pink lipstick by Yardley in the 1960's that was THE BOMB. Everybody wore it! 

16D02F30-26E3-4B26-B132-9897850D52FF.jpeg

Honored Contributor

The norm most likely depends upon where we live and what our peer group is doing.  When I was what is now middle school/junior high age, make-up wasn't even on the outer fringe of my radar.  Even when I was in high school, my make-up experience was being assigned to inventory the thouands of pieces of make-up in the J.J.Newberry where I had my first job other than baby-sitting.

I wasn't ever forbidden to wear make-up - it was just never a topic of discussion in our home.