Honored Contributor

Foundation Issues - Need Help!

I am hoping some here can give me some tips regarding foundation.  I know some of you here are familiar with my issues regarding makeup (I have a lot - LOL) but I will give the scenario and hope that some can give me some help!  

I am 71 and have rosacea, so I do have some redness at times and broken caps and my face breaks out occasionally --- ugh ---- a second puberty????  So, I do have need for some coverage.  I have very, very sensitive skin, so I can't use anything with fragrance.

My under eye area is starting to line and I now have blue circles under my eyes, as well.  I have the lines between my eyes on my forehead and going down on either side of my nose.  Well, you get the picture!  

My skin is not overly dry but I would say it's slightly dry and easily irritated.  However, I can't usy heavy lotions or creams to moisturize as this makes me break out.  I have been using an oil free lotion.

Sorry this is long but I'm just trying to set the stage for where I am going!

I have been choosing different moisturizing foundations.  

I don't like the look of these after I apply because they look shiny unless I apply a powder to dim the shiny appearance and set it.

However, this then makes me look older as the powder accentuates the lines and then my skin looks more dry.  I have tried powders that say they are for mature skin, etc., but so far, they don't seem to work either.

One question is what do you do to make your foundation look nice, polished and not all shiny - or so that you skin doesn't look all dry and lined?  What do you use to finish it?

Another question - what do you use, what method to apply your foundation?  I just use my fingers.  Should I be using a damp sponge or....???

I have not been using Primer.  Should I use one?  If so, should I use a moisturing one or what?

As you can see, I just don't know what to do to make my skin look better regarding foundation and powder, primer, etc.

Please give me some suggestions.  Thank you!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Foundation Issues - Need Help!

[ Edited ]

You have a lot here to break down! But, I too suffer from some of the things you mention, reddness, fine lines etc.

I guess I'd start with a mineral foundation, I use PUR and only because after years of Bare Minerals it started to make my skin look drier than it already was. The other option could be a light serum foundation. (I use brushes with most things liquid because I don't like the mess on my hands!) I also enjoy Laura Geller Balance and Brighten.

Under-eyes and fine lines have been a problem for me, finding a great concealer helps but that can be difficult. I have many, but the one that creases least for me is Nars Creamy concealer in the small pot. I set it lightly with powder.

I use primer on and off, not a huge thing for me. 

I use all forms of application, I like to go over everything with a damp sponge at the end to make it seamless.

I use setting spray. It makes everything look finished and blended into the skin. Reduces the look of a powdery finish for me. 

It's a start, hope it helps! Good luck!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

It sounds like you need products that are for very sensitive mature skin. I prefer a good moisturizer and a foundation. I do not like matte foundations or moisturizing, there are middle of the road foundations. To find a moisturizer google ones for mature very sensitive skin. Read the articles and lists. See which products are mentioned very often and try a couple. Always purchase in a store that you can return. I have sensitive skin and found that Tatcha products (the indigo line) is good for me. Perricone md is also good for my sensitive skin. It is a lot of hit and miss to find the best products. There are plenty of drug store products that are also good like vanicream and creave Unfortunately what works for one person is not good for all. If you can see a dermatologist that can help with skincare that might help. But again even that I find to be hit and miss. Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi AngelPuppy1
Yes, I have paid attention to your skin issues for a long time because I have a lot of the same issues. That said, everyone's chemistry is different so what works for me may not work for you.
During the pandemic I quit wearing foundation and my sensitivities disappeared. Even my rosacea is gone. Just a little blush and I'm good to go. My complexion is still oily at 74, but not that bothersome with no foundation.
Or, maybe my skin is changing as I am getting older...
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

I use a lot and it can be very daunting, but that's what I do. Easiest is a stick foundation.

To dull a sheen, I highly recommend 100%Pure Bamboo powder.

It is very very fine and dulls shine without drying. It is specifically for sensitive skin (as are all of theirs). I use translucent. It has lasted for years.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am 61 and when I turned 18 got the heck away from liquid foundation.  My dear aunt introduced me to Merle Norman and using a sponge with my total finish.  Some ladies dampen the sponge I do not.

Merle Norman - Total Finish Compact Makeup - Light Neutral - 0.5 Oz.

I also used a great deal Max Factor pan stik until it was way out of my price range a few years ago.  Same method with a sponge. You can still get MF on Amazon but not my shade which cost up to $175.00 for each unit on ebay.

Max Factor - Pan-Stik Ultra-Creamy Makeup .5 oz Medium Beige (Warm 3) - Original Formula

Now for most days that I wear makeup I use the Maybelline Fit in stick form with the dry sponge.  Have always just used a moisturizer under the foundation.  No primers ect...

Maybelline - Fit Me Matte + Poreless Shine-Free Stick Foundation Makeup, 110 Porcelain, 0.32 oz

I could never at this point give up my sponge for my fingers or for using a foundation brush. It as just been too many decades.  All have such great coverage.

I do not use powder of any kind but my skin is just normal.  Not dry or oily.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 I understand your delimma. My suggestion is Clinique. I know many including myself who rely on their products because of sensitivity. They offer several types of foundation. The best match and texture choice could be made in person at one of their B & M stores (Ulta, Dillard's, etc.) If you cannot go to a store they have their own website and QVC offers some Clinique products as well.

Skin care is important as well. Choose a Clinique cleanser, toner, and moisturizer. I think you need the #2 group. Keep it simple. The fewer products the better. Ignore the beauty forum posts trying new products. These ladies do not have sensitivities like ours.

Esteemed Contributor

AngelPuppy1---I am in your same age range and have sensitive skin with similar issues. Here's what works for me:

I use the IT Cosmetics brushes (especially the foundation brush) to apply foundation (any type) I also like the Doll10 makeup sponge. It's whatever you prefer. 

Foundation products I use/like--Dr.Denes DayCream--it's a multitask product that provides moisturizer/sun screen and matching foundation to your skin tone. 

Laura Geller Balance & Brighton --all in one 

Doll10 foundation--covers the best if you have serious issues in some areas.

Blush--Laura Geller Balance & blush . One swipe and you're done. You can't mess it up.

Under Eye concealer-Doll 10--T.C.E-Totally covers everything or the specific under eye concealer A tiny drop goes will cover. You can put another layer on top if you have an issue. I use an IT cosmetic brush to apply. (The Doll 10 brushes are my second choice)

Skincare--I use Lancer because it works for me. I also use Dr.Denese treatments products for specific areas.

Collegean Eye cream--does wonders for the really dark,dish colored circles and puffiness.

Hydroserum-- A few drops at night to soothe my very dry skin.

Dr.Denes Wrinkle Defense cream for face or neck work well. 

Llips--Doll 10 lipsticks work well for me. Moist, lasts and stays put.

I hope one or some of these work for you as well as they do for me. 

Good Luck.

Honored Contributor

I have been in and out of the hospital @AngelPuppy1 since June. It has been tough on my rosacea prone complexion. Last week I started back on my regular skincare regime using a gentle cleanser and 15% Azaelic Acid. I have no redness now and my skin is clear. My two new foundations are MAC powder foundation in a compact (easy application with sponge) suggested here by Pink and HSN foundation from Doll 10 (comes with a brush). Flawless coverage and probably the happiest I have been with a foundation in many many years.

Respected Contributor

@LTT1   Do you have a brand of 100% bamboo powder that you'd recommend? I have oily combo skin and I think that the bamboo powder would really help in setting my makeup. Smiley Happy