Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@gonnab  Check out Eminence Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant.  It has ground up rice and other organic ingredients, and is super gentle.  I also use Skinn DermAppeal, but the scent can be a bit too strong (menthol) for some people.  If you want to be really frugal, you can mix a little superfine granulated sugar with your cleanser.

Whatever you do, please avoid the inexpensive ground walnut shell scrubs.  They can leave micro tears on your skin.  Also stay away from baking soda.  It's not meant to be used on your face as it upsets the acid mantle and if used too long or too often it could do permanent damage.

Why You Shouldn't Use Baking Soda as an Exfoliator

I use the Eminence, thanks to @JeanLouiseFinch, and I love it! i use it maybe once a week, or every 10 days, and I love that it isn't harsh, doesn't take much, and does NOT make my skin feel like it's been "scrubbed." It just makes my skin feel really soft and smooth.

Honored Contributor

The problem with the plastic microbeads is not that they are in any way harmful to your skin. In fact, they are very smooth and are a better choice than the rough ingredients too often used.

But they are harmful to the environment. That's why they are being banned. HERE is an excellent description of the dangers they pose.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland