Honored Contributor
On 4/9/2015 Chi-town girl said:
On 4/9/2015 Crisso said:

Maybe posters will think twice about ripping apart hosts and vendors here? Same concept, but much worse IMO.

I agree-the behavior of ripping a woman apart b/c of her looks, weight etc is repulsive. Men are subject matters too but typically b/c of feminine attributes. Those types of threads seem to be quite welcome & popular here--permitted, yet discussing sneak peeks of new GILI handbags get poofed in a nano second. And once is not enough for some targets-as there is another one just started about Giulana. Repulsive.

Yes but ironically many who are calling Tina Fey's skit a form of bullying and something that caused him to commit suicide are the same ones who will pick apart host, vendors, celebrities, etc- commenting on everything from their hair, makeup, weight, voice, lifestyle, clothes, etc. In fact, aren't they now, in turn, "bullying" Tina Fey with their harsh comments, especially regarding her looks? Seems to be a little bit of hypocrisy going on here.

You would think (hope??) these people would think twice about posting what they are about hosts, vendors, celebrities, etc if they truly believe a skit that may or may not be dramatizing a person led them to suicide.

Regular Contributor
On 4/9/2015 Crisso said:

Maybe posters will think twice about ripping apart hosts and vendors here? Same concept, but much worse IMO.

If I cannot watch a certain host, because of their mannerisms, and disingenuous behavior. I am not going to buy from that host. If a company is using selling tactics that I believe are unfair, are exploiting the old, feeble, and those who are home-bound, sick, dying or are otherwise vulnerable, I do not buy from that company. I view that as my opinion, which I have every right to, and company feedback. Now I have bought quite a bit lately; which I regret. I should have been smarter. I just returned five huge bags. $50.00 in shipping. With the exception of a few cosmetics and skin care on auto-delivery, I will be seriously curtailing my purchases here from now on.

As I understand it, these forums are printed off and given to the hosts. They read them at the very least. I think that's a good thing. To conflate that with a skit that portrayed a vulnerable old man as the literal punch line (at one point in the skit Martin Short is punched in the face, and the skin stays dented in) is another matter. As I said above, Dr. Brandt's publicist said he was "devastated". I won't be commenting on host behavior any more---I will be writing directly to the Corporate Office. Problem solved.

Honored Contributor

Oh puhhhleeze. Joan Rivers was a COMIC as was Don R. They were used to dishing it out and receiving it!

Dr. Brandt was an innocent bystander and not in the business of humor or humorless entertainment.

There is NO parallel.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor
On 4/9/2015 winamac1 said:

Oh puhhhleeze. Joan Rivers was a COMIC as was Don R. They were used to dishing it out and receiving it!

Dr. Brandt was an innocent bystander and not in the business of humor or humorless entertainment.

There is NO parallel.

I think you may have missed the point. My point was what if Joan had made ""comedic"" jokes and nasty remarks about him or any other celebrity that may have been suffering from depression?

Puhhhleeze read carefully...

Super Contributor

This is so sad. May he rest in peace and his family and loved ones have strength during this time.

On the subject of picking people apart - I don't think mocking people on their appearance in a derogatory way is ever okay. So many of us do it without even realizing it and without realizing that it really hurts others. I hope all of this discussion brings this point to the forefront so we can all be more aware when we say something.

Regular Contributor

There is NO parallel.

EXACTLY!

And Yes. May he rest in peace.

Honored Contributor
On 4/9/2015 HappyDaze said:
On 4/9/2015 Chi-town girl said:
On 4/9/2015 Crisso said:

I agree-the behavior of ripping a woman apart b/c of her looks, weight etc is repulsive. Men are subject matters too but typically b/c of feminine attributes. Those types of threads seem to be quite welcome & popular here--permitted, yet discussing sneak peeks of new GILI handbags get poofed in a nano second. And once is not enough for some targets-as there is another one just started about Giulana. Repulsive.

Yes but ironically many who are calling Tina Fey's skit a form of bullying and something that caused him to commit suicide are the same ones who will pick apart host, vendors, celebrities, etc- commenting on everything from their hair, makeup, weight, voice, lifestyle, clothes, etc. In fact, aren't they now, in turn, "bullying" Tina Fey with their harsh comments, especially regarding her looks? Seems to be a little bit of hypocrisy going on here.

You would think (hope??) these people would think twice about posting what they are about hosts, vendors, celebrities, etc if they truly believe a skit that may or may not be dramatizing a person led them to suicide.

Yes, hypocrisy for sure. When I see the neighborhood gals standing around gossiping about women-ripping them apart for bring fat or skinny or what they wear, it strikes me as sad and pathetic-a diversion from dealing with their own issues/challenges. And their issues are very obvious, some equal to or worse than what they critique of others. I'm sure the same would apply here-we just can't "see" it. We all have "improvement" needs or some features that may not be appealing, but that uniqueness is what makes us interesting. Too bad we can't embrace & celebrate it rather than using it as a weapon to hurt someone. This situation is just sad, very sad. RIP Dr Brandt.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Super Contributor
On 4/9/2015 Celticrose said:

There is NO parallel.

EXACTLY!

As I wrote, above, the point was What if Joan had made remarks like this about him or other celebrities with depression? I am sure she has - she spoofed Robin Williams a great deal, for example. Whether she could take what she dished out was not the point I am sure Tina and Martin have hard shells too, so why target them and not the beloved Joan (and don't get me wrong, I like Joan).

As Joy Behar, a good friend of the doctor, said "satire does not cause suicide".

Honored Contributor
On 4/9/2015 Crisso said:

If I cannot watch a certain host, because of their mannerisms, and disingenuous behavior. I am not going to buy from that host. If a company is using selling tactics that I believe are unfair, are exploiting the old, feeble, and those who are home-bound, sick, dying or are otherwise vulnerable, I do not buy from that company. I view that as my opinion, which I have every right to, and company feedback. Now I have bought quite a bit lately; which I regret. I should have been smarter. I just returned five huge bags. $50.00 in shipping. With the exception of a few cosmetics and skin care on auto-delivery, I will be seriously curtailing my purchases here from now on.

As I understand it, these forums are printed off and given to the hosts. They read them at the very least. I think that's a good thing. To conflate that with a skit that portrayed a vulnerable old man as the literal punch line (at one point in the skit Martin Short is punched in the face, and the skin stays dented in) is another matter. As I said above, Dr. Brandt's publicist said he was "devastated". I won't be commenting on host behavior any more---I will be writing directly to the Corporate Office. Problem solved.

I've heard people say that they won't buy from a particular host. I never did understand that logic. But then I mostly shop online at different stores, so the salesperson is a non-entity to me.

You "understand" that these forums are printed off and given to the hosts??? May I ask your source?

I do think it's admirable that you won't bash hosts anymore. I'm sure Corporate will enjoy your calls.

The thought that he might have been devastated by the spoof speaks to his issues more than it does anything else. As others have pointed, celebs of all stripes are often the subject of parody. I'm sure some loved it and some didn't. It doesn't CAUSE an otherwise mentally stable person to commit suicide.

Could it be the last straw? Maybe. But that camel must have been crumbling already.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor
On 4/9/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 4/9/2015 Crisso said:

I've heard people say that they won't buy from a particular host. I never did understand that logic. But then I mostly shop online at different stores, so the salesperson is a non-entity to me.

You "understand" that these forums are printed off and given to the hosts??? May I ask your source?

I do think it's admirable that you won't bash hosts anymore. I'm sure Corporate will enjoy your calls.

The thought that he might have been devastated by the spoof speaks to his issues more than it does anything else. As others have pointed, celebs of all stripes are often the subject of parody. I'm sure some loved it and some didn't. It doesn't CAUSE an otherwise mentally stable person to commit suicide.

Could it be the last straw? Maybe. But that camel must have been crumbling already.

Why certainly Suze. I read HERE, in this great bastion of knowledge, on a different thread, at least a month ago???? (I can't remember - I'm not here that often - I have a life), that the forum notes are given to the hosts. I can't verify that as truth, and really, I don't care. QVC is barely on my radar. I read the forums for giggles. I very seldom watch; instead, I order online when I am specifically looking for something. Of course Corporate will enjoy my calls. Who wouldn't?

As far as Tina Fey, and Dr. Brandt, we'll have to agree to disagree. I've said all I needed to say, and now you're boring me. Good day.