@sidsmom wrote:

Sounds like:

-Accept the refund from eBay 

-Make a review

-Find another hair color that is not discontinued

-Move on

Boom.

Fixed it. 

Yes that would be the easy thing to do but have you ever used a product that you swear by and that you love and wouldn't want to be without?  I've had other beauty products discontinued on me and I've moved on but I love my long hair and what this product has done for me.  This time it's just a tad aggravating to give up the product I love.  Beyond that I think this was a particularly egregious error on the part of the seller.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor
No, I would vent too. It's a honesty issue !
Honored Contributor

‘...have you ever used a product that you swear by and that you love and wouldn't want to be without?’

Yes

‘I've had other beauty products discontinued on me and I've moved on but I love my long hair and what this product has done for me.’

That’s great

’This time it's just a tad aggravating to give up the product I love.’

Really nothing you can do unless you want to buy the company and resume to produce your favorite product.

’Beyond that I think this was a particularly egregious error on the part of the seller.’

You are empowered by submitting a truthful review. Unless eBay is willing to give you their home address so you can drive over & pound on their door (🙃), again there’s nothing you can do.

eBay is willing to make it right with you.

Take it.

Release the angst...it’s doing nothing to serve you in the long run. 

(maybe I’m older than you...and maybe that’s why I ‘let it go’)

Honored Contributor

This type of incident is the VERY reason I do NOT buy beauty products from eBay or Amazon, regardless of how much money I could save. I go directly to the vendor website or QVC. SEVERAL beauty vendors of whom I’m aware have purchased their products from eBay & Amazon both & after testing them have found that the products have been altered with fillers. No thanks.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

I have only made a few purchases from ebay and have been very pleased.  That said, I would not buy anything discontinued from anyone.  There is some reason why it was discontinued, maybe poor sales or maybe a product defect of some kind.  If the OP has been using the same color for  many years, it might actually be time to think of another color.  Our skin tone changes, as well as our hair texture.  Both affect the look of the color.

However, I would accept the refund and write a review.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Once you get your money back, you can buy from a different seller. I’ve bought hair color off eBay and didn’t have any problems.  Perhaps the seller didn’t realize anything was missing. I would give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Trusted Contributor

I've had both good a and bad experiences with Ebay.. My last purchase leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I searched for a shade of Maybelline lipstick (discontinued) and chose a seller because they offering a free beauty blender sponge with purchase of 2.

When I got the package the lipsticks were each wrapped in a plastic wrapper, one like the a drugstore would remove before putting on the shelf.  I couldn't see any shade or color information on the wrapper and opened to make sure it was right. I only opened one about one inch. Just then I realized that the beauty blender was missing. 

I contacted the seller about the missing product and they only offered me a 50 cent refund!  Are you kidding!  Plus their messages to me were snarky and sarcastic.
That alone told me their "mistake" was not really just an oversight on their part.

I wanted a refund of 1/3 of my order price and the seller refused. Ebay would not help me because the seller said if I returned the order the one lipstick was unsellable, not in original condition. The seller refused the return. I mean whose "little mistake" caused the problem to begin with?

What irked me was that this is a bait and switch seller who is taking business away from honest sellers. I  wrote a bad review in the very limited space Ebay allows.

I firmly believe that there's more dishonest sellers than buyers on Ebay.

Also, I will not buy high end cosmetics or skin care on Ebay. Most are counterfeit and totally unsafe. The bad guys are so sophisticated you can't tell the real from the fake.  But I've learned that mass/ drugstore products can be purchased fairly safely because the manufacturers sell overstock/ discontinued products to wholesalers who then resell them on platforms like Ebay.

Respected Contributor

@Deree I know it's frustrating to feel like you've been cheated, but you should wait until you hear back from the seller before assuming anything.  If they are an honest and reliable seller, they will respond as soon as they can and make it right for you.  Based on what you hear back from them, you can then decide what type of feedback you want to leave.  Either way you will get a refund, whether it's directly from the seller or from eBay.

Trusted Contributor

We buy a lot of products from E-Bay and only had a problem twice . Considering how much we buy from them, that's not too bad. Both times the issue was handled well by the sellers.  A lot of the products come in Amazon Boxes.  I did buy a discontinued Bare Minerals blush and it came in the original container.  I think no matter where we buy from on the internet, there is always a chance that a problem will arise from time to time.

Trusted Contributor

Update.  I received a full refund from the seller who by the way appears to be a drug store  type of entity as opposed to an individual seller.  There was no apology and no acknowledgement of their error.  Just the refund.

I have only bought a few things from ebay so I don't know proper etiquette so should I leave review at all?  Do I leave a neutral review?  A positive review explaining that the seller resolved an issue I had?  Thanks for your input.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.