Esteemed Contributor

Charlotte Tilbury makeup - meh

[ Edited ]

I've watched a lot of youtube beauty videos featuring the british makeup line by Charlotte Tilbury so I was interested in the powder blushes, lipsticks, and eyeshadows. But after I saw them in person yesterday at Nordstrom in downtown Vancouver, B.C., it's a hard pass for me! They hype didn't live up to the reality.

The bullet lipsticks have nice shades but they are all matte lipsticks. The Pillow Talk lipstick looked similar to a dusty rose matte lipstick by Urban Decay which I decluttered last year.

It's either matte lipsticks or lip glosses and nothing inbetween at Nordstrom. The blushes looked very average in color - dusty shades of rose and mauve and I think I already own powder blushes in those shades.

And the eyeshadow palettes all were too shimmery.

A lot of this line reminds me of the canadian line of makeup by Lise Watier which I am not particularly interested in either (and for the same reasons).

Honored Contributor

Re: Charlotte Tilbury makeup - meh

Apart from her foundations, I find the rest of her line too expensive for what it is.  It’s quite easy to find dupes. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TY  For lipsticks (NOT matte) take a look at Origins.  They came out with new lipstick and also a balm lipstick.  I purchased the lipstick and it is wonderful.  English Rose is my shade and only $20. Origins may also have nice eye shadows.  I love their mascara. For foundations, tinted moisturizer and skin care, take a look at No 7 at Target or Walgreens.  Even Walmart carries it, I think.  Cat HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I got a sample of her Magic Cream from Nordies and that was also a meh.

Hardly moisturizing for dry skin.

Honored Contributor

I received a pro kit (samples of the brand sent to mu artists for free). They hope we’ll talk up their products to increase sales. I was not impressed and sent it back. There was nothing that impressed me and I wouldn’t use it myself and so a big NO applying on clients.

The famous Magic Cream was very heavy, and as mentioned, not moisturizing. It’s recommended to use before all makeup applications. Uh, no! I found it caused the foundation to slip. My face looked oily and I have dry skin. 

I sent a nice note “thanks, but no thanks”. Estée Lauder got one, too...just not all that. It’s quite expensive for me to keep full shade ranges of foundations, various formulations and products of a line if not perfect in every way. They send “starter” kits to try, but only if I really love it will I ask for the full line. Tilbury failed the test, Estée Lauder, Urban Decay, Becca and several others, over the years,  did not make the cut. I’ve also discontinued Trish McEvoy after many years. Clients felt it was too expensive and could duplicate it with other brands. Why clutter up my makeup room and kit that I carry to location? 

Valued Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I received a pro kit (samples of the brand sent to mu artists for free). They hope we’ll talk up their products to increase sales. I was not impressed and sent it back. There was nothing that impressed me and I wouldn’t use it myself and so a big NO applying on clients.

The famous Magic Cream was very heavy, and as mentioned, not moisturizing. It’s recommended to use before all makeup applications. Uh, no! I found it caused the foundation to slip. My face looked oily and I have dry skin. 

I sent a nice note “thanks, but no thanks”. Estée Lauder got one, too...just not all that. It’s quite expensive for me to keep full shade ranges of foundations, various formulations and products of a line if not perfect in every way. They send “starter” kits to try, but only if I really love it will I ask for the full line. Tilbury failed the test, Estée Lauder, Urban Decay, Becca and several others, over the years,  did not make the cut. I’ve also discontinued Trish McEvoy after many years. Clients felt it was too expensive and could duplicate it with other brands. Why clutter up my makeup room and kit that I carry to location? 

Would you mind sharing any of your tried and true products that are worth the money?  Thanks!!

Valued Contributor

Her fragrance - "Scent of a Dream" is to-die-for!

Respected Contributor

@TY

When it comes to lipsticks, I am extremely sensitive to them.

If I had a nickel for every tube I've bought, I'd own a private island in the Pacific.  That is until I tried Doll10 lippies. 

I have had no reaction to them, they are creamy, have staying power and do not tug or pull across the lip when applying.  Just ordered her latest trio which is now on waitlist.  LOVE them!

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

@LexaMom wrote:

Her fragrance - "Scent of a Dream" is to-die-for!

Would you be able to describe the scent? I don't like florals. Is it floral?

Honored Contributor

@Swedishmiss. Are you interested in specific makeup lines or individual makeup products that pass the “Shanus Test”?