Frequent Contributor

Dolly 10 foundation demonstration...

I was watching the Dolly 10 demonstration tonight and dry erase pens were used to mark the back of the rep's hand in blue and red. The rep then used her brush to cover the marks on her hand to show how fabulously the foundation covered both the blue and the red lines drawn on the back of her hand. I immediately laughed, assuming the foundation simply removed the marks from her hand since she used a dry erase marker. After thinking about it for a bit, I decided I shouldn't just "assume" because the reviews were fairly good for the most part. I grabbed a couple of dry erase markers in the same colors, blue and red, as were used in the demo, grabbed a few foundations from my make up bin, and recreated the demo. I was correct. Immediately, the market wipes right off and has no effect upon the color of the foundation. Why in the world would such a demo be made? Reviews were good, but I am hesitant to buy a product that felt the need to use such deception in an effort to prove how great is the product. I am so disappointed that QVC would allow such a deceptive demo, too. I know they are all about sales, that is understandable, but credibility and honesty are also important.
Respected Contributor

Re: Dolly 10 foundation demonstration...

I am on AD for the Doll foundation, last Doll TSV and love this foundation. Between the foundation and matching concealer there isn't a problem with concealing anything and in fact I don't have to use the concealer.

I use light, am fair with a dry complexion and this works very well for me. It is between a matte and dewy look leaning more a bit towards matte but very natural.

Trusted Contributor

They do this because there are thousands of foundation choices out there. They need a hook to get people to impulsively order the product. OMG! Did you see what that foundation just did! I must order it! 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

That foundation is my HG. I love it. I don't wear marker on my face so no issues.  There is not a product on QVC that doesn't take some liberties somewhere with their claims, studies, etc. Not all products work for everyone but someone, somewhere loves that product or they wouldn't be selling it. I didn't have the same experience people talked about yesterday with Dr Pericone but some people swear by it so for some it is amazing.   

Respected Contributor

Maybe if they used a Sharpie marker first on the hand and it covered that, then wash off the makeup to show the marker still there it would have impact and be believable.  I wouldn't use that demo as a reason to purchase or not; the reviews from actual users are usually what I like.  But yes, it is deceiving.

Respected Contributor

From what I've seen from people that have the foundation, they like it but it's not anywhere near the full-coverage that is supposedly shown in the demostration.  If you want full coverage, get the Miliani, Urban Decay all-nighter, Marc Jabocs re-marc-able or Estee Lauder Double Wear.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The Dalton Lady always looks like a little old lady with cakey makeup and too much blush.  That keeps me from buying anything if her's. 

Honored Contributor

@Lottapaws wrote:
I was watching the Dolly 10 demonstration tonight and dry erase pens were used to mark the back of the rep's hand in blue and red. The rep then used her brush to cover the marks on her hand to show how fabulously the foundation covered both the blue and the red lines drawn on the back of her hand. I immediately laughed, assuming the foundation simply removed the marks from her hand since she used a dry erase marker. After thinking about it for a bit, I decided I shouldn't just "assume" because the reviews were fairly good for the most part. I grabbed a couple of dry erase markers in the same colors, blue and red, as were used in the demo, grabbed a few foundations from my make up bin, and recreated the demo. I was correct. Immediately, the market wipes right off and has no effect upon the color of the foundation. Why in the world would such a demo be made? Reviews were good, but I am hesitant to buy a product that felt the need to use such deception in an effort to prove how great is the product. I am so disappointed that QVC would allow such a deceptive demo, too. I know they are all about sales, that is understandable, but credibility and honesty are also important.

I did the same test using dry erase markers and applying the foundation immediately after I drew the marker and also allowing it to dry and the marker is gone after this. I think it mixes right into the makeup. I also tried the same demo with several other foundations, even my sheer ones I know would not cover up the marker and even with those the marker was gone. I think it is a silly demo but I think most vendors demos are silly and never decide to buy or not buy based on the demos. I buy mainly based on ingredients, swatches and, to some degree, reviews but mostly reviews from people I know and like and have similar issues/skin types as me.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

The Dalton Lady always looks like a little old lady with cakey makeup and too much blush.  That keeps me from buying anything if her's. 

All older women should look that good.  

Honored Contributor

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

All older women should look that good.  

I am older than her....do not wear Cakey makeup or too much blush. I do not think she looks good.