Respected Contributor

Re: Cutting open tubes of creams

@SilleeMee Oh yes!...I've done that too with the clips...also good idea. Like I said, you really have to use one of these hacks or otherwise it does waste a lot of product.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

What I do is cut the end off but leave enough of the tube so it can be folded on itself. After I'm done scooping out what I need then I use one of these binder clips to keep the folded end closed, like this:

img0222.jpg

Binder clips work well on toothpaste, too.

binder-toothpaste-holer1.jpg

@SilleeMee  .... I like you solution the best 😉

Esteemed Contributor

@Texasmouse   ,  I do cut open tubes of cream.   However, I put the contents in small, round plastic containers.   Never tried cutting the tube abd fitting the two ends back together.  

Esteemed Contributor

Actually @Sooner  .. there is usually a great deal of good product still left in the tube.  

Honored Contributor

@January121 

It wasn't actually my idea. I use to be an avid backpacker and I would pack my own food in some squeeze tubes I found at a sporting goods store. The tubes come open-ended so you can fill them with stuff like pb&j. I just modified that idea by using the binder clips instead of the plastic closures like this:

o0500033212994888214.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

I had read that one could cut open a tube of cream to get every last bit out, then fit the two ends back together to close it.

I was using a face cream in a tube with a pump but the pump stopped working (and I had about half a tube of product left) so I thought I'd try this technique to be able to continue using it.

I cut open the tube about in the middle but, since the two cut ends were the same size, I couldn't get one end to fit into the other and wasn't able to close it up, so I had to scoop out the cream and transfer it to a small jar. 

Have any of you ladies successfully  cut open a tube of product and been able to continue using it this way?

Yes I do it all the time. You have to bend the ends in on the top part you are putting in the bottom.

Regular Contributor

There's a wide variety of "tube squeezers" on Amazon.  I use them to get every last drop out of my products.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I, also, have done the “cut off the top and fit it over the bottom” method for years. And even after I am sure I have squeezed everything out of the tube, I am always surprised at how many days’ worth of product is still hiding in there, whether toothpaste, lotion, skin care. But first, you need to unscrew the cap to let a little air flow. Then  use the back of a comb or the side  of a pick to press all of the product down to the cap end, before you start cutting. It’s actually kind of satisfying. Remember the saying,”Good to the last drop”?

Hope this all makes sense. I wish I were a little smarter at taking and posting pictures, as I have a couple of hand lotions looking all “cute” in my bathroom right now. Oh, well! Have a great day!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, this is exactly what I do!  I only cut tubes that have a somewhat more expensive product so I can get my money's worth, ha ha.  I always do this with my Elta MD sunscreen and it amazing how much more comes out of that tube.

@SilleeMee wrote:

What I do is cut the end off but leave enough of the tube so it can be folded on itself. After I'm done scooping out what I need then I use one of these binder clips to keep the folded end closed, like this:

img0222.jpg

Binder clips work well on toothpaste, too.

binder-toothpaste-holer1.jpg

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I've cut open a few tubes of products.  Didn't try to fit them back together.  I put them in a small baggie and squeezed out all the air I could.  I also keep my skin care products in a small skincare fridge that's in one of  my bathroom closets.  Does it help?  I don't know.  I'd like to think it does and I love how putting chilled products on my face feels Smiley Happy  You can buy them on Amazon for $50 (as of a year ago)