Respected Contributor

Re: Cutting open tubes of creams

@monicakm wrote:

I've cut open a few tubes of products.  Didn't try to fit them back together.  I put them in a small baggie and squeezed out all the air I could.  I also keep my skin care products in a small skincare fridge that's in one of  my bathroom closets.  Does it help?  I don't know.  I'd like to think it does and I love how putting chilled products on my face feels Smiley Happy  You can buy them on Amazon for $50 (as of a year ago)

@monicakm I have one of those makeup fridges too. Love it. 😊

Valued Contributor

After you cut the tube in half sort of slightly pinch or bend the opening of the tube so that it slides inside the cut off top.You don't have to cut off excess or a third or whatever else to make it fit. Just cut it in half, pinch or squeeze so it's more narrow than the top and that's it.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse 

It's  one of those things that's hardly (if ever) thought about but  once you get one, you wonder how you've lived without it all these years Smiley Surprised  

My daughter bought mine for my birthday last year.  She's going to have to think long and hard to top it! LOL

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Texasmouse 

It's  one of those things that's hardly (if ever) thought about but  once you get one, you wonder how you've lived without it all these years Smiley Surprised  

My daughter bought mine for my birthday last year.  She's going to have to think long and hard to top it! LOL

@monicakm I know! I keep my  serums in there, along with my eye cream, and it feels so good putting them on when they're nice and cool! I also think it helps prolong the life of my Vitamin C serum. 😊

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@January121 

It wasn't actually my idea. I use to be an avid backpacker and I would pack my own food in some squeeze tubes I found at a sporting goods store. The tubes come open-ended so you can fill them with stuff like pb&j. I just modified that idea by using the binder clips instead of the plastic closures like this:

o0500033212994888214.jpg

@SilleeMee  ... whoever’s idea it was it’s a good one ... thanks again for sharing 😉

Esteemed Contributor

I've always cut off the tubes to get out the last little bit.  Especially my Gold Bond Neck & Chest and hand creams - I can get another 4 days worth of cream out.  I keep ziplock baggies in a bathroom drawer to keep these opened tubes in and airtight.   I also keep a few of those "bulldog clips" in my makeup drawer to roll down tubes of toothpaste, etc.   (you certainly don't have to buy any special gadgets to do this)

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

i do that all the time--hate to waste so much product. but you have to use it up or it drys out. I also have a teeny tiny spatula to scrape it all out that works great.

Honored Contributor

I always cut tubes and even pump containers with a sharp suratted knife(n have to be careful doing this...) I have spattys too which I use on containers I can not cut.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I always cut tubes and even pump containers with a sharp suratted knife(n have to be careful doing this...) I have spattys too which I use on containers I can not cut.

My pet peeve are the bottles of shampoo and lotions that have tops that cannot be unscrewed.

@SeaMaiden I do this also. 'Waste not , want not' Smiley Happy My husband observed me doing this once and knowing that I have been clumsy with a knife before , commented that an ER visit could end up being costly also ! - not what a thrifty person wants to hear. 

I appreciate the suggestions here.

I usually throw my cut open items in a ziplock bag also . They come in so many sizes.

Honored Contributor

I use scissors to cut plastic bottles open.