Honored Contributor

Re: Cruelty Free

[ Edited ]

Many companies that we label as NOT cruelty free is because of their dealings with China.

They are not tested on animals here, but China is a whole different issue.

For example....from Perricone Website:

Does Perricone MD test products on animals?
Perricone MD does not test on animals nor do we believe in the practice. We are one of many beauty brands that are sold internationally including in China and you may be aware that the Chinese government tests imported wholesale cosmetics by law, but products ordered from Perricone MD and shipped directly from us to our customers throughout the world are not tested on animals. 

Some of the products’ ingredients are not considered vegan in case this is a related concern

As in the case of Perricone, my BF worked there for YEARS til a buyout closed the Headquarters in Meridan, CT.  They never tested on animals in their labs here...BUT if you sell in China...China does their own testing.

Not saying it is right or wrong...just saying.....

Are there any cosmetic companies that have NO affiliation or dealings w/ China?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Cruelty Free

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife Exactly. I use many Philosophy products and I get tired of the "but philosophy is not cruelty free" shaming. Philosophy/Coty, does NOT test on animals here in the US. They DO sell their items in China and in China, animal testing is done. Everything I have seen indicated that the testing is done by a Chinese entity, not Philosophy. I don't like it (animal testing),  but the philosophy products that I buy are Made in USA and are not tested on animals here in the US. And I am happy to purchase products made in the USA. 

Trusted Contributor

@cjm61 wrote:

I know I go against the grain here. My daughter was basically a test for a cosmetic item. These were not tested on animals prior to my daughter being in the testing group. Unfortunately, she has lifelong scars due to the "cruelty free" testing. Sorry, I really would have preferred a rat be tested first instead of my daughter. I had no idea at the time that she was a guinea pig for an item not already tested. 

I understand testing on animals is a concern but when it boils down to it, I prefer testing on animals prior to humans being the test pilots.

I TOTALLY DISAGREE. There is NO REASON to test on animals EVER. It's CRUEL.

Occasional Contributor

I never support animal cruelty and I dont buy any kind of product from those brand who test thier product on animals. 

Please always your product from such a brand. I buy my skin care product from forest essentials, they work natural product cruelty free. 

Trusted Contributor

@layla2450 We will agree to disagree. I absolutely loved my pets. So much so, it was like losing a child when they passed. I also lost a baby girl years ago. If testing on an animal would have saved her life, I would back that 100%.  However, under no conditions do I feel an animal is more important than a human. There is NO REASON to test on HUMANS causing lifelong scars and/or death that can be avoided by testing on a lab rat. In my opinion, human life is more valuable than an animal. 

Esteemed Contributor

@cjm61  I'm sorry your daughter is scarred and went through what she did.  But, honestly, she made that choice. Animals have no choice, nor voice to speak out against what is being done to them.  So we do it for them.  It's what makes us human, in my opinion.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@cjm61  I'm sorry your daughter is scarred and went through what she did.  But, honestly, she made that choice. Animals have no choice, nor voice to speak out against what is being done to them.  So we do it for them.  It's what makes us human, in my opinion.

EXCELLENT POST!!! I AGREE with ALL of your comments.

Respected Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

What she said!

Trusted Contributor

THEY COULD DO BETTER BUT IT'S GREED THAT MAKES THEM NOT CRUELTY-FREE

beautybulletins dot com is a  good cruelty-free site to go to.

Trusted Contributor

Not exaclty. The Leaping Bunny Logo is the internationally recognized symbol guaranteeing consumers that no new animal tests were used in the development of any product displaying it. The Logo can be seen on packaging, advertising, and websites for cosmetics and household products around the world.Leaping Bunny Logo 

Eight national animal protection groups banded together to form the Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics (CCIC). The CCIC promotes a single comprehensive standard and an internationally recognized Leaping Bunny Log.They work with companies to help make shopping for animal-friendly products easier and more trustworthy.

https://www.leapingbunny.org/about/about-leaping-bunny