Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2020 – Meaningful May

@geezerette wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Yes, the older I get the more I'm appreciating those "self-cleaning and self-pottying" aspects of cats.  Except for this time of year.  This one is long haired and sheds so much he's constantly having hair balls.  I have to brush him every day.  

And he doesn't have much control over his tail.  The top half droops/flops over.  He has a knot in it about halfway up his tail.  I think he either got stepped on or got it caught in something, but he was like that when he appeared as a kitten, so who knows?  

He's also not the brightest bulb in the box.  But he is loving and fun--usually. 😸

@geezerette Oh yes, I've forgotten about the hairballs. It's a wonder the cats didn't choke on those coming up.

I thought the cats shed a lot until we got the dog. Oh my goodness. I take her out on the back porch 3 times a week now for brushing. And the dirt she tracks in from the yard is another story. I don't think my floors have ever been this dirty. But I wouldn't give her up for the world. Smiley Wink

@Eager2Learn 

Oh yes, the dog hair!😳  I thought I was used to dog hair, but I had no idea comprehension of what I was getting with this Rott.  At the end of one day there's enough of her hair on and around her bed to make a nice bird nest.  Every. Single. Day.  Between that and the long clumps of cat hair strewn around, it's like having a hair carpet.  

And the foot prints, slobber and drool.  I could stay vacuuming and mopping 24 hours a day and still not get this place all clean at one time.  I've learned to ignore it all.  Thankfully the one person that visits most has more dogs and cats than I do, so she's very sympathetic. 

@geezerette 

We never noticed this when we had carpet throughout the house, but now that we have tile and vinyl planks we have noticed that our dog is a sloppy drinker.  No, not a sloppy drunk -- he just makes an incredible mess at the water bowl.  And when he walks away from the bowl he leaves a trail of water drops on the floor.

Between his hair and my long Covid hair and his drips and my splattering at the sinks, BH is ready to kill us both.

Life is messy.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Yes, the older I get the more I'm appreciating those "self-cleaning and self-pottying" aspects of cats.  Except for this time of year.  This one is long haired and sheds so much he's constantly having hair balls.  I have to brush him every day.  

And he doesn't have much control over his tail.  The top half droops/flops over.  He has a knot in it about halfway up his tail.  I think he either got stepped on or got it caught in something, but he was like that when he appeared as a kitten, so who knows?  

He's also not the brightest bulb in the box.  But he is loving and fun--usually. 😸

@geezerette Oh yes, I've forgotten about the hairballs. It's a wonder the cats didn't choke on those coming up.

I thought the cats shed a lot until we got the dog. Oh my goodness. I take her out on the back porch 3 times a week now for brushing. And the dirt she tracks in from the yard is another story. I don't think my floors have ever been this dirty. But I wouldn't give her up for the world. Smiley Wink

@Eager2Learn 

Oh yes, the dog hair!😳  I thought I was used to dog hair, but I had no idea comprehension of what I was getting with this Rott.  At the end of one day there's enough of her hair on and around her bed to make a nice bird nest.  Every. Single. Day.  Between that and the long clumps of cat hair strewn around, it's like having a hair carpet.  

And the foot prints, slobber and drool.  I could stay vacuuming and mopping 24 hours a day and still not get this place all clean at one time.  I've learned to ignore it all.  Thankfully the one person that visits most has more dogs and cats than I do, so she's very sympathetic. 

@geezerette 

We never noticed this when we had carpet throughout the house, but now that we have tile and vinyl planks we have noticed that our dog is a sloppy drinker.  No, not a sloppy drunk -- he just makes an incredible mess at the water bowl.  And when he walks away from the bowl he leaves a trail of water drops on the floor.

Between his hair and my long Covid hair and his drips and my splattering at the sinks, BH is ready to kill us both.

Life is messy.

@just bee 

Yup.  I almost slipped and killed myself a few times when I didn't quite see her water trail.  Hydroplaned.  So now I leave a mop (Don Aslett) propped out near her bowls so I can just take a dry mop to the water spills immediately.  Even on tile if the water is left to dry on its own it leaves water marks.  It bothered me at first to have a mop "showing" (like I get so many visitors), but between one thing or another around here, I just don't give a darn about much anymore. 

I like the Don Aslett mops.  They're cheap and lightweight, both of which are important to me.  I know I use the mop heads a lot longer than they're intended, but they still work fine.  I've had them for years.  I don't know what types of mop heads they're offering now, but the green ones work the best for tile.  (I don't have any wood flooring.)  They're kind of a medium pile and they will clean but not leave the floor too wet so I think they'd work well for wood.  The pink ones I have have nubbies on them and I thought they'd be good for getting in the grout or getting off stubborn spills, but no.  They just leave too much water on the floor.  But the fuzziest white heads are great for getting the dust and animal hair off the walls.  

For normally soiled floors, I would recommend the Aslett mop.  With my Dirt Master, I sometimes have to wipe a few spots down by hand.  But then, she's out running through the woods and fields and clay mud (that stains when dried).

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

Yup.  I almost slipped and killed myself a few times when I didn't quite see her water trail.  Hydroplaned.  So now I leave a mop (Don Aslett) propped out near her bowls so I can just take a dry mop to the water spills immediately.  Even on tile if the water is left to dry on its own it leaves water marks.  It bothered me at first to have a mop "showing" (like I get so many visitors), but between one thing or another around here, I just don't give a darn about much anymore. 

I like the Don Aslett mops.  They're cheap and lightweight, both of which are important to me.  I know I use the mop heads a lot longer than they're intended, but they still work fine.  I've had them for years.  I don't know what types of mop heads they're offering now, but the green ones work the best for tile.  (I don't have any wood flooring.)  They're kind of a medium pile and they will clean but not leave the floor too wet so I think they'd work well for wood.  The pink ones I have have nubbies on them and I thought they'd be good for getting in the grout or getting off stubborn spills, but no.  They just leave too much water on the floor.  But the fuzziest white heads are great for getting the dust and animal hair off the walls.  

For normally soiled floors, I would recommend the Aslett mop.  With my Dirt Master, I sometimes have to wipe a few spots down by hand.  But then, she's out running through the woods and fields and clay mud (that stains when dried).

@geezerette 

I'm looking at the mops and am considering ordering them.  Before the fire I had a collection of different mops and cloths from QVC and even managed to save a few microfiber cloths and Supercloths.

But we can't continue Swiffering.  They don't clean that well and, frankly, the scent is annoying.

There are just too many Aslett choices on the site.  I can't decide on which ones to order.

And I know if I run it by BH first he'll scoff.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Eager2Learn 

WGD is also the the World's Greatest Shedder.  He sheds a whole dog daily.  I've lived with many different breeds but he sheds more than all of them put together.

How his hair manages to travel and get into rooms where he's never been is beyond me.

But, like you, I'd rather have the hair than not have the dog.  Maybe your girl is a Kelpie...

image.png

image.png

Our boy is black and white so we have black fluff everywhere.  Right now it's mixing with all the cotton that's falling from the cottonwood trees.  It's like fur tumbleweeds.

@just bee Oh my goodness! That pup's expression! Heart

Here's a pic of Cinnamon, taken a couple weeks ago.

IMG_0019.JPG

Honored Contributor

@just bee 

M122312 is similar to what I have.  About $20 for the pads and mop handle.  Although the shipping is high at $5.50, so I'd probably wait for free shipping if you're interested.

You can see the top mop pad is nubbier than the others.  That's the one that I don't care for.  It works fine, I just don't use it much.  But the other three blue pads work great.  The white one would be good for just dusting your wood floors or like I use it on the walls.  One of the things I like about these is that unless my floors are filthy, I just use plain water to mop, so no smells. 

I think the only thing I don't like about them is that the pads are held on to the mop head by two strips of Velcro.  As time goes on and the pads wear down those two lines tend to be the areas that end up doing most of the cleaning and I feel like I have to work harder to get some extra dirty spots clean.  Of course, as I said, I've had the same pads and mop for years (like back when the Don Aslett products were really popular and always on), so I probably need to break down and get some new pads!😂

If BH scoffs at your idea, let him mop the floors!😉

F1FB111E-09CE-4B3B-AA04-60B3334340A5.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

M122312 is similar to what I have.  About $20 for the pads and mop handle.  Although the shipping is high at $5.50, so I'd probably wait for free shipping if you're interested.

You can see the top mop pad is nubbier than the others.  That's the one that I don't care for.  It works fine, I just don't use it much.  But the other three blue pads work great.  The white one would be good for just dusting your wood floors or like I use it on the walls.  One of the things I like about these is that unless my floors are filthy, I just use plain water to mop, so no smells. 

I think the only thing I don't like about them is that the pads are held on to the mop head by two strips of Velcro.  As time goes on and the pads wear down those two lines tend to be the areas that end up doing most of the cleaning and I feel like I have to work harder to get some extra dirty spots clean.  Of course, as I said, I've had the same pads and mop for years (like back when the Don Aslett products were really popular and always on), so I probably need to break down and get some new pads!😂

If BH scoffs at your idea, let him mop the floors!😉

F1FB111E-09CE-4B3B-AA04-60B3334340A5.jpeg

@geezerette 

Actually, he does most of the mopping. Woman Embarassed

I just thought if I could find something that's usable, I could do more mopping myself.

This is too much floor for one person. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Eager2Learn 

WGD is also the the World's Greatest Shedder.  He sheds a whole dog daily.  I've lived with many different breeds but he sheds more than all of them put together.

How his hair manages to travel and get into rooms where he's never been is beyond me.

But, like you, I'd rather have the hair than not have the dog.  Maybe your girl is a Kelpie...

image.png

image.png

Our boy is black and white so we have black fluff everywhere.  Right now it's mixing with all the cotton that's falling from the cottonwood trees.  It's like fur tumbleweeds.

IMG_0019.JPG

@Eager2Learn 

How beautiful is that coat?  She looks like a painting. Heart

Trusted Contributor

Good evening ladies, hope all is well with all of you.

Not sure if you picked a word for June - How about "Just June".  I think we all "just" need a break from everything.  

Have a good evening.

Valued Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Eager2Learn 

image.png

image.png

IMG_0019.JPG

@Eager2Learn 

How beautiful is that coat?  She looks like a painting. Heart

@just bee Thank you. Funny thing, I've noticed over the past couple months that her coat is getting softer Good food, brushing, cosequin? Shedding? Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Eager2Learn wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@Eager2Learn 

@geezerette 

Life is messy.

This is why you need the Don Aslett microfiber mop. I bought mine about a year & half ago. It's like https://www.qvc.com/Don-Asletts-Microfiber-Mop-with-(5)-ReuseableMicrofiber-Pads.product.M122312.htm..., but when I got mine it was a super-size and came with 8 pads.

I vacuum for most of my floor cleaning, but the hard floors do need more than that from time to time. Our kitchen, dining room, & hall is vinyl planks. For a lazy housekeeper like me, this mop makes the job quick and easy.

Here's a video of the set I have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZK9fhsTNvw