Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Jest January!

Q: What type of dog tells 
off-color jokes?

A: A smutt.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee

I’ve talked to several people lately that seem to have a perpetual cold/flu bug.  It comes and goes and isn’t terribly serious, but it just doesn’t seem to leave the body permanently.  I’ve had similar things in years past, so it’s not that unusual for me.  I think the dog’s problem was a reaction to her vaccines, although that’s never happened to her before.  I’ll have to check with the vet to see if they’ve changed something.

Good luck with your plumbing venture.  All I can picture in my head is a jackhammer in my dining room.  😳

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

I’ve talked to several people lately that seem to have a perpetual cold/flu bug.  It comes and goes and isn’t terribly serious, but it just doesn’t seem to leave the body permanently.  I’ve had similar things in years past, so it’s not that unusual for me.  I think the dog’s problem was a reaction to her vaccines, although that’s never happened to her before.  I’ll have to check with the vet to see if they’ve changed something.

Good luck with your plumbing venture.  All I can picture in my head is a jackhammer in my dining room.  😳

@geezerette

Yes, there will be a jackhammer in the room that is, technically (according to original floor plan), the dining room.  We used to use it as the dining room, then we moved the table and chairs to the "hearth room."  As opposed to the "great room."  We don't actually have a living room because the room we do have is considered great.

We bought the house in the '90s.  'Nuff said.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

A woman called our airline 
customer service desk asking if she could take her dog on board.

“Sure,” I said, “as long as you provide your own kennel.” I further explained that the kennel needed to be large enough for the dog to stand up, sit down, turn around and roll over.

The customer was flummoxed: 
“I’ll never be able to teach him all of that by tomorrow!”

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette,

Expectations.

When I was 32, I had been married to my college sweetheart (husband #1) for less than two years when he was killed in a car accident.

Not only did I mourn his death, I mourned the kids we were supposed to have together. My biological clock was ticking and I wasn't getting any younger.  I thought I was going to be the suburban housewife with two kids and a dog.  Didn't happen.

A few years later I met future husband #2 and we decided to get married after living together for 25 years.  Less than two years later he is diagnosed with leukemia.

Marrying me is the kiss of death for these poor guys.  I'm not getting married a third time and doom the next guy to an early death.

I have been down the widowhood road once and I'm not looking forward to traveling it again.  I didn't like it the first time and I know I'm not going to like it the second time.  I know what is coming and it ain't pretty.

Trusted Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

@Oshare-girl-UGH, the chores! I am so frustrated right now. My kids have been off for 2 entire weeks for Christmas break, finally going back to school today. I am so tired of looking at them sitting around I can't stand it. I'm SO looking forward to having some quiet time to myself today.

I thought that as they got older it would be easier because they are able to do more for themselves. They are now 10 and 13. But I swear, it's almost worse than when they were toddlers. They can do more things, that's true, but it also seems like they make more messes for me to clean up, dragging stuff out and just leaving it, then I have to constantly ask them to put it away. 

Simple things, like putting away a glass, or their shoes, helping clear the table, throwing away their trash. It's driving me crazy. I feel like a total nag and it's exhausting. I'm hoping it will get better eventually and pay off in the end, but I'm really starting to wonder sometimes. 

Maybe I need to try to find that video too, see if they will sit down and watch it. We don't have access to videos on demand, so I would have to find it at the video store if it's available. 

@rnmom Yup, I'm in the same boat. My kids are a little older than yours. But it's the same thing. Unfortunately my DH is like that too. He can't seem to put his cups away. It's a running joke in the house that he just CAN'T take the cup from the table to the sink. His body just CAN'T do it. At least I don't do their laundry. The kids wash their clothes and DH's. It can take a week to get from dirty to put away in the drawers but at least I don't have to do it. It's amazing how they can just step right over the messes without missing a beat. Why doesn't it bother them the way it bothers me?

Respected Contributor

@River Song-OMG, that is so sad! I don't even know what to say, other than wish you the best. I hope that at least you had 25 good years with current hubby. 

Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl-Your hubby sounds like mine too. He's always giving the kids a hard time about leaving stuff out but he's just as bad. He's constantly dropping stuff on any flat surface, hats, gloves, batteries, tools, glasses, whatever he got out, he is horrible about putting anything away. I spend at least as much time putting his stuff away as I do the kids.

And my biggest pet peeve? He NEVER closes the closet door. Drives me crazy! I swear I close that door 6 times day. Why is he even in the closet that many times? Once I'm dressed for the day, I don't even go back in it. Or the coat closet door. He can't close that either. I mention it all the time, but he just can't seem to do it. Sorry for the rant Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@just bee-good luck on your plumbing project. I hope it goes smoothly and quickly and you can get the room back in order in a short period of time. And good luck going thru the cookbooks. It's definitely hard to worry about decluttering when you're not feeling well.

I used to have quite a few of cookbooks and never used them so I've gotten rid of a lot. More wasted money. I was in one of those book clubs years ago, where you had to buy a certain number of books and supposedly got a really good deal on them. I still have probably about a dozen left and rarely use them. But I do have a couple of favorite recipes in them so I doubt I'll get rid of too many more. 

Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

@geezerette,

Expectations.

When I was 32, I had been married to my college sweetheart (husband #1) for less than two years when he was killed in a car accident.

Not only did I mourn his death, I mourned the kids we were supposed to have together. My biological clock was ticking and I wasn't getting any younger.  I thought I was going to be the suburban housewife with two kids and a dog.  Didn't happen.

A few years later I met future husband #2 and we decided to get married after living together for 25 years.  Less than two years later he is diagnosed with leukemia.

Marrying me is the kiss of death for these poor guys.  I'm not getting married a third time and doom the next guy to an early death.

I have been down the widowhood road once and I'm not looking forward to traveling it again.  I didn't like it the first time and I know I'm not going to like it the second time.  I know what is coming and it ain't pretty.

@River Song

My parents separated when I was little and when she moved us to Arizona, my dad stayed in Chicago.  My fantasy was that he would move there one day; instead, he died in April.  His fourth and final heart attack.

After we moved to California my mother met someone.  Retired Air Force, had never been married.  My siblings were scattered all over the country and when they heard my mother was dating they all raced to California to see what kind of loser he would be.

Once they met him they realized he was the best thing that could have happened.  She didn't want to get married.  We insisted.  My siblings all stayed in California, close to us.  This was my first experience with normal and I have to say I really liked it.

Around Christmas during my last year of college I started getting calls from my mother and sister.  They kept asking if I was coming home for the holidays.  What else would I be doing?  Then they told me not to do any shopping because that could wait until I got home.

I thought it was weird but didn't really worry about it.  When I got home I asked where my stepfather was and that's when they told me.  Earlier in the month, on my mother's birthday, he was sitting in his favorite chair with his favorite dog on his lap after they had gone to dinner at his favorite Chinese restaurant.  That's when he had a massive heart attack and died.

Years later when my mother had Alzheimer's and my sister was taking care of her, I got a call from my other sister.  Something was wrong.  Before I could get on a plane my sister was dead.  Her heart failed.

I sensed a pattern here.  So did my other sister who informed me that she didn't want to die so our mother wouldn't be moving in with her.

I joked about "the pattern" with my mother all the time and it made her laugh.  But it wasn't her.  She wasn't responsible.

After my stepfather died I might have started thinking differently about who I'd choose to spend my life with.  I picked someone younger and figured that would guarantee he'd be around longer than my dad or stepdad.

But, again, curveballs. 

Anyway, when I decided to go to nursing school I was taking a class that required us to go to a senior center and interview someone there.  The minute I walked into the place I saw someone I wanted to know.  She may have reminded me of my mother, I don't know, but we had a great conversation.  She was 80 years old and her dream was to be a nurse.  Never happened.  She married a successful businessman who traveled and she went all over the world, many times over.  All her children, however, became doctors and nurses.

She was a widow and was losing her vision.  Then she confided in me that she had met someone in her retirement complex and she was a newlywed.

Whenever I have those days -- the ones when I feel relieved that I'm closer to 60 than to 20 -- I remember that 80 year-old newlywed.