Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Acceptance August

@Brisky -So sorry to hear that your brother is not doing well. Sad times. Thinking of you. 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I guess I don’t have a beef with remakes, but I just can’t get into many of the new ones, especially the television series.  Remake “Magnum”?  Come on.  Not possible.  And besides, now they’re messin’ with my memories. 😤

@geezerette 

Ever get the feeling they're trying to erase our memories?  Or, at least, replace them?

BH and I have always watched the Little League championship games because it still feels like the baseball we remember.  Sportsmanship comes to mind.

But now they parade these young boys out (there's a girl in there, too) and make them dance and wriggle and twirl their tongues at the camera.

It's unseemly.  And then some.

And the parents allow this?  The end of Western civilization as we know it.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
Checking in and seeing you are all doing pretty good.☺
My brother took a turn for the worse three nights ago in a Denver hospice. My sisters flew up to see him and say there their goodbyes. His children and ex wife are there. Yes, ex wife and him got along well for their two children.
I have been with my mother throughout this time. Said
Everything I needed to day. He was the best big brother a sister could ask for. Kind as all get out till the end. His children are great but totally heart broken.

Got my book and saw Carl the good dog and it made me smile.
I will be back in awhile, after all is taken care of.
Take care everybody! Brisk out...for a little while....

@Brisky 

I have a brother.  He's somewhere in Oregon.  And that's just fine, because I have no intention of visiting any state on the West coast again.

It's so good to hear you had a special relationship with your brother and that he was special, too.  Sounds like a great sibling, husband and dad.

Thank goodness everyone was there and he knew how much he was loved.

Godspeed.

Take all the time you need -- there will be a lot to take care of.  But don't forget to check in! Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Aw, @Brisky, I’m so sorry to hear about your brother.  We know these things are coming and think we’ve prepared ourselves so it doesn’t hurt quite so much, but somehow when the time actually comes, the pain is still devastating and oddly more intense than we had even imagined.

I’m happy for you that you have such good memories and thoughts of your brother, and also that your family is a close one and can help each other through times like these.  What a good daughter you are to your mother.  I’m sure she appreciates it more than she can convey.

Hang in there, friend.  I’m glad you got a smile from the “Good Dog Carl” book.  We’re never too old to enjoy a good doggie story. 🙂

We’re here whenever you need us.

❤️🕊🙏

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

I guess I don’t have a beef with remakes, but I just can’t get into many of the new ones, especially the television series.  Remake “Magnum”?  Come on.  Not possible.  And besides, now they’re messin’ with my memories. 😤

@geezerette 

Ever get the feeling they're trying to erase our memories?  Or, at least, replace them?

BH and I have always watched the Little League championship games because it still feels like the baseball we remember.  Sportsmanship comes to mind.

But now they parade these young boys out (there's a girl in there, too) and make them dance and wriggle and twirl their tongues at the camera.

@just bee 

Oh man, don’t get me started.

You do realize that those of us without children are allowed to criticize the parenting skills of everyone else without impunity. 🤣

I don’t know about you, but I always said MY family wasn’t like all those others that have so many faults.  Well, it seems that the latest generations of my family are exactly like all those others.  One of the reasons I came to the conclusion that I shouldn’t go back north to live with relatives now.  After my two siblings are gone (and they are a decade older than I), I have absolutely nothing in common with any other relative I have left.

As far as the fall of Western civilization, I think that was a goner a generation ago.

Honored Contributor

Well, it happened again.  This morning I was hunting through my closet for anything else I could put in my donation bag which is going out tomorrow.  I moved some old purses (which I should have put in the bag, but couldn’t yet bring myself to do so), and there were two Dooney wallets.  

I had been looking for those wallets for years.  Finally, some time ago I convinced myself I must have already donated them.  And here today, there they are and had been this whole time.  Prime example of what not to do.

Of course now they’re old, the hardware is tarnished, the zippers sticky.  And I’ve been using another style for so long that I’d not be able to find my money if I switched to these.  Useless to me now.  And more wasted money.

😖

The good point is that they’re going right into the donation bag.  Maybe this time I can remember that I have actually donated them.🤨

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@geezerette 

@just bee 

Oh man, don’t get me started.

You do realize that those of us without children are allowed to criticize the parenting skills of everyone else without impunity. 🤣

I don’t know about you, but I always said MY family wasn’t like all those others that have so many faults.  Well, it seems that the latest generations of my family are exactly like all those others.  One of the reasons I came to the conclusion that I shouldn’t go back north to live with relatives now.  After my two siblings are gone (and they are a decade older than I), I have absolutely nothing in common with any other relative I have left.

As far as the fall of Western civilization, I think that was a goner a generation ago.

@geezerette 

Like I've said, I made the decision to not have children in September 1964 and I never wavered.  That first day of kindergarten made an impression and it wasn't a good one.

Of course it probably didn't help that my favorite films as a kid were The Bad Seed, Lord of the Flies, Village of the Da_ned, Children of the Da_ned and The Lion in Winter.

It's always been my theory that children are like dogs in that they require structure and consistency. 

I work with kids with psychiatric issues and sometimes those issues are their parents.

My motto has always been: "I'd rather regret not having children than regret having them."

Je ne regrette rien.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette 

Well, isn't that interesting.

I'm still watching the Little League games because the Pirates and Cubs are visiting with the kids today and then they'll play tonight in Williamsport.

I mentioned the inappropriate behavior when the kids are introduced on camera.  Maddy, the lone female, was just introduced and she wasn't wearing a rainbow wig, wriggling, jiggling or sticking her tongue out.  No, that's just for the boys.

Maybe nuclear holocaust is not such a bad idea.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Well, it happened again.  This morning I was hunting through my closet for anything else I could put in my donation bag which is going out tomorrow.  I moved some old purses (which I should have put in the bag, but couldn’t yet bring myself to do so), and there were two Dooney wallets.  

I had been looking for those wallets for years.  Finally, some time ago I convinced myself I must have already donated them.  And here today, there they are and had been this whole time.  Prime example of what not to do.

Of course now they’re old, the hardware is tarnished, the zippers sticky.  And I’ve been using another style for so long that I’d not be able to find my money if I switched to these.  Useless to me now.  And more wasted money.

😖

The good point is that they’re going right into the donation bag.  Maybe this time I can remember that I have actually donated them.🤨

@geezerette 

I can't believe the number of purses and wallets I had.  Nice ones, too.  And I left them all behind.

Again, I had no idea what restoration costs would be and I'd stopped carrying a purse years ago.

But if something can be restored and you choose not to restore it, it's just as if you didn't want it.  Doesn't count and you don't get reimbursed.

Talk about a waste.

I'll always regret not donating this cr@p.

Respected Contributor

@Brisky, I too am sorry to hear about your brother.  He sounds like a great person and will be missed. Take care of yourself and your family. We are here when you are ready.