Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2019 – Acceptance August

@rnmom wrote:

@just bee -No, you are not crazy for wanting the brick or the the cabinetry to match.

When we built our house 7 years ago we got all matching cabinetry in both bathrooms and in the kitchen. Plus all of the hardware and fixtures have the same brushed nickel finish. 

We added on a 3rd bathroom in the basement after we moved in and it still bugs me that the cabinet is not the same as the other 2. We just bought something inexpensive on clearance because it's, well, in the basement. I'm sure no one else even thinks about it, but I do. 

I'm so sorry that they are giving you such a hard time and that it will probably cost you extra money to get what you want. It definitely should not be that way. But if you're planning on staying in that house until you're dead you might as well stand your ground and get things the way you want them. 

@rnmom 

Exactly.

We found the perfect granite countertops -- tied the new brick, new flooring, new paint and new cabinetry together perfectly.

Then we found out how much they would cost.

Laminate's looking really good right now.

At this point I can't go back into that house with the old smoke-damaged cr@p.  They want to restore all the appliances and I just don't see how.  Restoration means wiping them down.  We don't want to cook in an oven that was filled with soot.

They say it's no different than sitting near a bonfire.  We disagree.  Our "bonfire" included Round-Up, paint, ground sterilizer, car parts, oil, gasoline and any number of other toxic substances.

BH is prepared to invite them all to dinner if we end up with that 25 year-old sooty oven.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee 

What always amazes me about all that back and forth negotiating is how it can be profitable for the insurance company.  It must be or they wouldn’t do it.  But I would think it would be cheaper for them to assess the damage, allow for depreciation, and then give you the option to either use their contractors and do it their way or just cut you a check for what that would cost them and let you handle everything the way you want.

I know it’s much more complicated than what I know, but this whole process seems so wasteful—for everyone.  

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

What always amazes me about all that back and forth negotiating is how it can be profitable for the insurance company.  It must be or they wouldn’t do it.  But I would think it would be cheaper for them to assess the damage, allow for depreciation, and then give you the option to either use their contractors and do it their way or just cut you a check for what that would cost them and let you handle everything the way you want.

I know it’s much more complicated than what I know, but this whole process seems so wasteful—for everyone.  

@geezerette, I totally agree.  And what a waste of everyone’s time.

@just bee, I would be beyond disgusted and frustrated. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

@geezerette, I totally agree.  And what a waste of everyone’s time.

@just bee, I would be beyond disgusted and frustrated. 

@aprilskies 

@just bee 

Geez, I’m frustrated just reading about it all!  😖☺️