Valued Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Maintainable May

@geezerette and justbee:  You are welcome any time. When I had been married to my first husband, we lived in Monterey, California. I was 12 when the big hippie movement began back in '67.  Like Jed Clampett, California was the place I wanted to be.

We only lived there a year and it is truly beautiful in the Monterey Bay area, but I could not wait to get back home. Before we moved to California we lived in North Carolina (ex hubby was military) and I could have stayed there forever. But that was then and this is now.  DH has never been to California and would love to go someday but I don't care if I ever go back.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette

Sad, but true.  Oregon and Washington are forever changed.  They're working on Arizona and Texas now.

I don't think I've ever been called a Californian before.  I just lived there.  I never understood the point of leaving one area then making the new area just like the old area.  Most of the Californians we moved out here with didn't stick around.

If we hadn't bought a house we probably would have kept moving, too.

@just bee

Oh, Arizona was a goner years ago.

That’s exactly what we used to say.  Whether it be the Californians or the “Back Easters”, they always wanted to change the place they had just moved to into what they had left.  Why leave, then?

When we first arrived in the desert back in the seventies, we loved it just the way it was.  By the time we got a chance to live there full time (mid-eighties) instead of just occasionally, it had already started to change.  But it still maintained much of its unique character.  It was the one place that both of us finally felt “at home”.  I never felt that way before and haven’t since.  Probably won’t again in my lifetime.  I’m glad we got to enjoy it for as long as we did.

@geezerette

True, Arizona has been shifting for some time.  Nevada's been invaded and so has Idaho.  Montana, too.

I remember when Chicagoans were moving to Atlanta in huge numbers.  But it's the same question BH and I ask: Why leave if you're not willing to adopt the new place as your home?  Why are you there to change it?

I went to a small liberal university in a conservative part of California.  I saw the area change and not in a good way.  It made me ask the question you're not supposed to ask:

Why are college students allowed to vote in their college town elections?

In my college town's case, students from San Francisco and Los Angeles moved up there and changed the politics of the region, got their degrees and moved away.  They didn't stick around to witness the collateral damage.  Like the economy they helped to destroy.

I don't even recognize that university now.  And I wish they'd stop begging me for money.  They're wasting their time.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee

Dang!  They got Montana too?😩

This is what I try to remember when I’m unhappy with the humidity and bugs here.

Honored Contributor

@hellokitty wrote:

@geezerette and justbee:  You are welcome any time. When I had been married to my first husband, we lived in Monterey, California. I was 12 when the big hippie movement began back in '67.  Like Jed Clampett, California was the place I wanted to be.

We only lived there a year and it is truly beautiful in the Monterey Bay area, but I could not wait to get back home. Before we moved to California we lived in North Carolina (ex hubby was military) and I could have stayed there forever. But that was then and this is now.  DH has never been to California and would love to go someday but I don't care if I ever go back.

@hellokitty

Every now and then I miss the coastal areas of Northern California.  My college was near the ocean.  Cool temperatures and lots of rain and fog.

Funny you mention North Carolina.  Asheville has been a magnet and I'm certain it's been changed by the influx.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

This is what I try to remember when I’m unhappy with the humidity and bugs here.

@geezerette

There may be a few spots untouched in Utah and Wyoming, but the clock's ticking.

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

@geezerette

There may be a few spots untouched in Utah and Wyoming, but the clock's ticking.

@just bee

Only the places that are virtually inhabitable.  You know, like where there is no water available.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

@geezerette

@just bee

Only the places that are virtually inhabitable.  You know, like where there is no water available.

@geezerette

Now that sounds like New Mexico. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee

@geezerette

@just bee

@geezerette

Now that sounds like New Mexico. Woman Wink

@just bee

🤣

Valued Contributor

If you ever come to NC, I would love to meet up with you wonderful ladies.  We moved from Ohio 14 years ago.  I was so sick of always being cold and hated the dreary cloudy days.  DH had job offers in Michigan and NC so the choice was easy for me; I sure didn't want to go further north.  I love the weather here and enjoy the change of seasons.  We are near Charlotte so we are close enough to the beach, without the threat of the storms that hit there, and a nice drive to the mountains.  

Honored Contributor

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

If you ever come to NC, I would love to meet up with you wonderful ladies.  We moved from Ohio 14 years ago.  I was so sick of always being cold and hated the dreary cloudy days.  DH had job offers in Michigan and NC so the choice was easy for me; I sure didn't want to go further north.  I love the weather here and enjoy the change of seasons.  We are near Charlotte so we are close enough to the beach, without the threat of the storms that hit there, and a nice drive to the mountains.  

@Beauty$Junkie

Well, something's happening on that side of the country.  I get recruitment email from hospitals in other states and I've been hearing from the Carolinas and Virginia.  We lost an RN to North Carolina about a year ago.

Now one has left for Texas, one's headed to Maine, another's on the way to Montana and another is fleeing to Kentucky.

Is someone trying to tell me something?