Valued Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Maintainable May

JustBee, our hospital system has forced my doctor out of practice here.  They are forcing the doctors affiliated with them to schedule in 10-minute increments to rush through their daily quota of patients.  I had to select a new doctor for my annual wellness visit and I am not sure how she will do the visit in 10 minutes.

Honored Contributor

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

JustBee, our hospital system has forced my doctor out of practice here.  They are forcing the doctors affiliated with them to schedule in 10-minute increments to rush through their daily quota of patients.  I had to select a new doctor for my annual wellness visit and I am not sure how she will do the visit in 10 minutes.

@Beauty$Junkie

Did they merge with Jiffy Lube?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

I am VERY slowly going thru some of my products and getting rid of some unloved items. If I have something here that I am just simply trying to use up for the sake of using it up and I don't like it and know I won't repurchase it, it is under scrutiny. There's not a lot of them, but there are some. I'm getting SO tired of fighting my way thru products that I don't like. 

Yesterday I worked and took 2 bottles of lotion from PSS, dupes for Unconditonal Love and Falling in Love, to work. I put them in the bathroom for everyone to use. We don't have our own staff bathroom for my office, so it was just a public bathroom. They were still there when I left, but I suspect that sooner or later someone will take them, and that's fine. I was very disappointed in the scents actually. The FIL was ok, the UL I didn't care for at all. It was just a matter of trying to use them up and get them out of the house, so off to work they went. These have already been replaced with 2 Tree Hut body butters that smell divine, plus I have several BBW body creams that I enjoy. 

I have a spray cologne of the FIL dupe which is ok, so I will probably use that up, the UL dupe spray cologne I had too, but that is already gone.

I also took in a bottle of Shea Moisture Baobob oil that I was just trying to use up. I just can't use these oils on my face, no matter how much I want to, even mixed with moisturizer. I had been mixing them with my lotion during the winter, again, just to try to use them up. This was my last bottle, I used up a large bottle of argan oil last winter. Within a couple of hours that was gone. 3 items out, it's a start.

I'll take another peek but I think that puts me in a good place with my spray fragrances and body creams. I still have extra, but I think that all of the scents that I have are ones that I will use and enjoy at least. It's a start. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette - be well and take care of yourself. Sounds like you have a lot of land to take care of.  Must be nice tho.  As much as I dont want to take care of a big yard, it sounds nice to me about now.  LIke @hellokitty, I wouldnt mind living in a small town for just awhile to get away from so many people, noise and pollution. To have my surroundings be a little peaceful and getting back to nature.

@just bee, if you were to move, what area would you be drawn to, besides Chicago, that is?  Your area sounds so nice even though it is the desert. Are you just ready to move on? @geezerette, how about you?

@aprilskies

Oh, God, no!  I'd never move to Chicago!  I was just thinking about a Cubs game and a quick Italian beef sandwich.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.  I'd never live in Chicago again. 

Now your question is the question.  BH has always disliked ABQ but he hasn't yet come up with an alternative.  I was terrified that he'd come back from Colorado and tell me to pack.  Happily, he recognized that Colorado is just a smaller version of California.

I've spent all but ten years of my life in the West.  My relationship with Albuquerque is sort of love-hate but it's evenly distributed.  For everything I hate there's something I appreciate.  Balloons.  No fleas.  Big skies.  The scent of Russian olive blossoms.  Sunrises and sunsets.  Seven-inch long centipedes.  (Just kidding.  No, they really are seven inches -- I just don't really care for them.)

I think we need to travel a little.  And see that other places are just as cr@ppy.

Oh, 😱you sure you don’t want to move to Chicago??? 😈 😈😈

I travelled for work once.  I enjoyed it but would never want to move there.   Moving when you are buying is so permanent to a degree. 

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette - be well and take care of yourself. Sounds like you have a lot of land to take care of.  Must be nice tho.  As much as I dont want to take care of a big yard, it sounds nice to me about now.  LIke @hellokitty, I wouldnt mind living in a small town for just awhile to get away from so many people, noise and pollution. To have my surroundings be a little peaceful and getting back to nature.

@just bee, if you were to move, what area would you be drawn to, besides Chicago, that is?  Your area sounds so nice even though it is the desert. Are you just ready to move on? @geezerette, how about you?

@aprilskies

As for me, yes, I’ll probably move on at some point.  This is just too much property to have to be responsible for.  I can mow a few acres myself for Carla to run in, but I can’t run the tractors, or keep them up, to do the rest.  And that doesn’t include everything else that needs to be done around here.  I’ll be selling all the equipment as soon I get the okay from the atttorney.  (That’s another thing.  What’s with attorneys?  Why can’t they ever manage to let you know what’s going on, or not, with the things they’re supposed to be doing for you?)

But I digress.  I really don’t know where I’ll go or when.  Right now, I don’t want to make any major decisions like that for a while.  Even though I’d miss a lot about living out here, I’d like to move into a small house with a small yard or even a condo.  And I do have that Monster Dog to consider.  I can’t do that with her.  So that limits my options. Some of my relatives are wondering if I’ll move back up north—“home”.  What they don’t realize is that isn’t my home anymore.  I haven’t lived there for over forty years.  And outside of my relatives, who all have their own lives, I wouldn’t know a soul anymore.  Plus, the weather is crummy most of the year.  

So, it will depend on how things go here.  How much I can do myself and how much I end up imposing on friends.  I hate doing that, and I’ve done it several times already and will be doing it in the future.

For the last several years we had been talking about moving, but the thought of having to deal with all the stuff we had was daunting.  I think that’s why I really regret accumulating so much and want to get rid of most of it.  If we had gone a more minimal route, we would have had more time to just enjoy life instead of feeling responsible for taking care of “stuff”.  That old saying, “You can’t take it with you” is true.  You just end up leaving it here for others to have to take care of, one way or another.

What about you, @aprilskies, are you ready for a move?  And where would you go?

I agree @geezerette, no major decisions until you get your footing again and let things show themselves.  I didn’t realize you had so much land. On one hand I would love it, on the other, a lot to take care of.  And Carla is definitely a factor. 

Well, the accumulation you mention is what has stopped me from moving for a very long time.  After moving my parents from their house of 30 years and then moving myself a couple years later, I was just stunned beyond words and my whole being railed against even thinking of boxing and unboxing again. I just could not entertain the thought. But that is what started me on my decluttering journey. This isn’t an easy process for so many reasons and has been a bit painful, but I am renting and it is time for something of my own.  On one hand I regret renting for so long, on the hand, it has been a turnkey and a certain freedom attached to it. Plus there were other factors involved and I felt paralyzed. But, it is time for a change so that is why I have to start decluttering again. If I am lucky enough to make a move, the thought of filling box after box is making me cringe. I can’t even tell you what I filled from one bookcase I gave away. Crazy. 

Where would I go, hmmm, I really don’t know.  I haven’t thought about it because my ship is docked because of my parents and my job for now. So it would still be relatively in the area.  The type of environment I would love is to be between the mountains and the shore.  Far enough away from the masses but close enough to engage, if that makes any sense at all. Right now I am surrounded by neighbors and I would love a little space.  I also dream of living on a island. Blue skies, blue water.....  BUT, that is where I feel my age a bit and realize certain things will not happen. I can dream though.  I have always wanted to live in a loft too.  All that open space.....   Yes, indecision had been the bain of my existence. 😊

Respected Contributor

@rnmom, good for you.  I need to do that myself.  The reality is I have a few things that are just older and don’t even know if they are still effective.  I have been trying to use them but the truth is I don’t keep up with it all and they are just getting older. Plus, I don’t see much difference in use. So using them is just an exercise. I totally agree with you, life is just too short.  Using things up has been eye opening for me in so many ways. 

Trusted Contributor

Well, @just bee and all, I have read all the posts about various places, and I'm not following. Everywhere is more crowded, obviously, since we keep making more and more humans on this little planet. But is that what is "spoiling" places, or what am I missing? You can't just be saying you feel nowhere is any good? That's so sad.

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

Well, @just bee and all, I have read all the posts about various places, and I'm not following. Everywhere is more crowded, obviously, since we keep making more and more humans on this little planet. But is that what is "spoiling" places, or what am I missing? You can't just be saying you feel nowhere is any good? That's so sad.

@KaySD

I’ll speak for myself here.  What I am basically saying is that all places are now becoming more or less the same.  The unique flavor that many small towns, and even large cities, once had is disappearing.  You used to be able to go to a different place and experience a different lifestyle and culture.  Now, everywhere is becoming the same mixture of food, stores, regulations, subdivisions etc.  And it seemed like that happened when many people flooded an area from a different part of the country.  If you moved to a place because you liked it, why did you then want to change it to resemble what you just left behind?

We are bemoaning the past.  The good old days.  Hankering for a time lost, never to be regained.  It’s what old people do.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@KaySD wrote:

@KaySD

I’ll speak for myself here.  What I am basically saying is that all places are now becoming more or less the same.  The unique flavor that many small towns, and even large cities, once had is disappearing.  You used to be able to go to a different place and experience a different lifestyle and culture.  Now, everywhere is becoming the same mixture of food, stores, regulations, subdivisions etc.  And it seemed like that happened when many people flooded an area from a different part of the country.  If you moved to a place because you liked it, why did you then want to change it to resemble what you just left behind?

We are bemoaning the past.  The good old days.  Hankering for a time lost, never to be regained.  It’s what old people do.

@geezerette

@KaySD

G, you can speak for me, too.  Maybe it's what our society has become, who knows?  The same strip malls in every city.  Do we want to believe that a person traveling from Santa Clara, California to Overland Park, Kansas and then to Lyndhurst, Ohio wants to eat dinner at The Cheesecake Factory in every town he visits?  He doesn't even want to try the little BBQ joint in Kansas City or the hole-in-the-wall Italian place in Cleveland?

Have we lost our sense of adventure?

I'm bemoaning.  Just thinking about the days when a baseball player lived and raised his kids in the city where he signed that contract.  Are there guys like Ernie Banks and Ron Santo anymore?

Whoa.  We ARE old.  And cranky.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

@geezerette and @just bee, I really enjoyed your replies. Yes, that makes sense, places are becoming more alike. I think it's because communications and informaiton are so widespread and plentiful. So, in the absence of relative isolation, it is harder to maintain uniqueness, especiallly the small, quirky bits. 

And yet, quirky bits are everywhere. Now we have a Cheesecake Factory AND we still have Sam's Cafe and Casket Company.

Despite the fact that people have always been pretty much the same everywhere, from Indiana to India, there are still a ton of superficial differences in habits, beliefs, expectations, priorities....and it's still good to experience different places where we can get out of our own habits, etc. 

Bee, I'll give you cranky, but I'm not so sure old age has to be linked to a hardening of the attitudes. Er, so to speak. Maybe we've just each learned what really matters to us, and are ess willing to spend the time we have left on lesser things. It's a kind of uncluttering!

Ya think?