Honored Contributor

ComPact 2018 – Maintainable May

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.”  "Only the store, online no more!" “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.        

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Maintainable May

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation.

This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

HEP

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Somebody is up early today.  ☀️🙂

Maintainable.  I like it.  It’s suitable.  I hope I can maintain May.🤞

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Somebody is up early today.  ☀️🙂

Maintainable.  I like it.  It’s suitable.  I hope I can maintain May.🤞

@geezerette

I decided Minimal May was irritating.

Oxford on the word "maintain":

1 Cause or enable (a condition or situation) to continue.

1.1 Keep (something) at the same level or rate.

1.2 Keep (a building, machine, or road) in good condition by checking or repairing it regularly.

2 Provide with necessities for life or existence.

2.1 Keep (a military unit) supplied with equipment and other requirements.

2.2 archaic Give one's support to; uphold.

3 [reporting verb] State something strongly to be the case; assert.

Origin

Middle English (also in the sense ‘practice an action habitually’): from Old French maintenir, from Latin manu tenere ‘hold in the hand’.

I think it's suitable, too. Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

@just bee Maintainable May, love it!  Totally appropriate.  You have a way with words.  I actually dusted off the ole dictionary and started going thru the "m".  It was very difficult and I gave up. I am up for maintaining my progress in May. I hit pan on 4 eyeshadows this year and want to keep trying to hit pan on average of one per month.  

I just updated my April use-it-up total.  It was $146 worth of products used up.  Of that, $53 worth were decluttered products, stuff that I didn't finish.  My consumption is getting better.  It's closer to using things up naturally, without forcing it.  I continue to gain a better understanding of my preferences, however I take it with a grain of salt.  While I may like a certain something about a product, I'm getting older and changing everyday.  My body may not cooperate with my preferences.  

@geezerette I'm a little concerned about you... I second trying the meds for a little while (maybe 3 months?) and see if they help.  You can always stop taking them if nothing happens or you have a negative reaction. And yes, the marketing of "one and done" products is pure B.S.  That's the last thing marketers want us to find.  That would be the end of the world for them.  But it really hooks the consumer.

@aprilskies I was watching a video by Becky Gillaspy about reducing menopause belly fat.  I'm not quite there but I am gaining more fat in my abdomin so I need to do something NOW.  Anyway, she talked about reducing sugars & refined foods (of course) and increasing fiber & good fat.  She also mentioned fasting for 12 hours (time restricted eating, in her words).  To stop eating 3 hours before bedtime, sleep, then have breakfast 12 hours after the fast began.  It gives the body a chance to burn fat while I am sleeping due to the low blood sugar.  I thought of you.  It sounds like the intermittent fasting you mentioned.  Are you still doing this? I just started this late last week and I see a slight change.  I don't weigh myself but my fingers are less bloated in the morning and I can put my ring on easier.  Even when I have a salty meal that would normally lead to bloating, my fingers are slimmer.  

@just bee my dog has discriminating taste.  He likes the honeycrisp apples better than the fujis.

Valued Contributor

i like it..

Honored Contributor

@anin wrote:

i like it..

@anin

Welcome!

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee Maintainable May, love it!  Totally appropriate.  You have a way with words.  I actually dusted off the ole dictionary and started going thru the "m".  It was very difficult and I gave up. I am up for maintaining my progress in May. I hit pan on 4 eyeshadows this year and want to keep trying to hit pan on average of one per month.  

I just updated my April use-it-up total.  It was $146 worth of products used up.  Of that, $53 worth were decluttered products, stuff that I didn't finish.  My consumption is getting better.  It's closer to using things up naturally, without forcing it.  I continue to gain a better understanding of my preferences, however I take it with a grain of salt.  While I may like a certain something about a product, I'm getting older and changing everyday.  My body may not cooperate with my preferences.  

@geezerette I'm a little concerned about you... I second trying the meds for a little while (maybe 3 months?) and see if they help.  You can always stop taking them if nothing happens or you have a negative reaction. And yes, the marketing of "one and done" products is pure B.S.  That's the last thing marketers want us to find.  That would be the end of the world for them.  But it really hooks the consumer.

@aprilskies I was watching a video by Becky Gillaspy about reducing menopause belly fat.  I'm not quite there but I am gaining more fat in my abdomin so I need to do something NOW.  Anyway, she talked about reducing sugars & refined foods (of course) and increasing fiber & good fat.  She also mentioned fasting for 12 hours (time restricted eating, in her words).  To stop eating 3 hours before bedtime, sleep, then have breakfast 12 hours after the fast began.  It gives the body a chance to burn fat while I am sleeping due to the low blood sugar.  I thought of you.  It sounds like the intermittent fasting you mentioned.  Are you still doing this? I just started this late last week and I see a slight change.  I don't weigh myself but my fingers are less bloated in the morning and I can put my ring on easier.  Even when I have a salty meal that would normally lead to bloating, my fingers are slimmer.  

@just bee my dog has discriminating taste.  He likes the honeycrisp apples better than the fujis.

@Oshare-girl

Sometimes I think the month label is a jinx for us, but hopefully "maintainable" is a broad enough term to work on some level.

Your dog has expensive taste!

Speaking of apples, I'm very happy with the Kanzi.  Crisp, a liitle tart and not too sweet.  A very nice crunch.

@geezerette

Any decisions or is this just more stress?

@aprilskies

Keep an eye on the sugar!  If you're eating salads, read the dressing labels.  Most of them are garbage and waaaaaaaay too sweet.  Gak!

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@Oshare-girl

Sometimes I think the month label is a jinx for us, but hopefully "maintainable" is a broad enough term to work on some level.

Your dog has expensive taste!

Speaking of apples, I'm very happy with the Kanzi.  Crisp, a liitle tart and not too sweet.  A very nice crunch.

@geezerette

Any decisions or is this just more stress?

@aprilskies

Keep an eye on the sugar!  If you're eating salads, read the dressing labels.  Most of them are garbage and waaaaaaaay too sweet.  Gak!

@just bee  So easy to make your own dressing. Put oil, vinegar, good mustard, s&p in a small jar & shake!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@just bee  So easy to make your own dressing. Put oil, vinegar, good mustard, s&p in a small jar & shake!

@Shanus

Better-half has been making a killer pesto dressing.  Mostly olive oil, white wine vinegar, pesto and lemon juice.  Snacky!