Honored Contributor

ComPact 2018 – Funtastic February!

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.”  "Only the store, online no more!" “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.        

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2018 – Funtastic February!

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation.

This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

Kliban

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi just bee! 

Can't believe February is here! Cute title. Last month ordered IT TSV felt value worth the money. Here is my update on the kit. In short time half way through skin care. There is no way make to next shipment 90days. Certainly would not pay full price. So back it goes. My skin is culprit! For now using "Grape Seed Oil" and First Aid Beauty cream. Both work! Lastly very disappointed in Breezies TSV last month. Won't bore you with the details. What eludes me! Breezies Support bra excellent bra. Perfect in every way. TSV padded however selling point was not padded. I would have never ordered had I known. QVC CS- kindly waved shipping. Today expecting LOGO petite leggings. Hopeful! Made sure check specs! Especially leg opening, No more than nine inches. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity

Support is the key!  Padding is not an option.  I have my own, thank you.  So the three $15 Playtex bras I ordered are working out nicely.  I chose the ones with the flying buttresses: A tad medieval, but effective. 

Remember that we all have the opportunity to correct our wayward ways now that we have had a Super Moon-Blue Moon-Blood Moon-Lunar eclipse.  It signifies the whole out-with-the-old-in-with-the-new thing.  So I figure anything we've been contemplating in January is now good to go.

First thing I'm changing is that dead washer.

And as I was pulling out old magazines to bring to work, I noticed an article I obviously didn't read when the magazine arrived thirteen years ago. 

I set it aside so I could get a better look at it.  Appears to have been written by someone who had collected a lifetime of possessions in his basement and he finally got to the point where he rented a dumpster and bid them all a fond adieu.

Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I figure it will serve as inspiration.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

just bee ... 

Wonderful he cleared his "stuff* no surprise your helping.⚘

Respected Contributor

Just dropping in to say hello. 

I love watching/reading decluttering stuff.  It helps me stay focused  Right now when I look around my place, I have clutter just about everywhere. I am not quite sure how that happens but I am tired of it. So, I am going to take a couple of hours this weekend and clean up some.

I have never kept a budget but I am trying to this year. It is easy in the beginning but then it becomes a chore but I will try and stick to it. I think it will be interesting what the numbers in the different line items will read.  I updated January last night. And while I thought I didnt buy any clothes, my receipts said otherwise. It is amazing what purchases you forget during the month.  One thing that made me happy was being able to get rid of most of the receipts. I dont keep them unless they are important.

HEP - well it has been a complete fail.  And I do mean complete.  But yesterday I decided to limit my carbs substantially and today when I woke up deciding what to have for breakfast, I realized it is the 1st of the month.  So, a great clean start, even though any day is a great start.  So, I am trying again. I cant let stress keep beating me at this game. If it is not one thing, it will be another.

I like the name of February and certainly something we need more of.

Honored Contributor

Most people coming into my home would say there is no need to declutter, but they would be wrong. We had to move everything out of our den in order to get new flooring.  My gosh, shelves & drawers contained things we no longer need or use. I told DH this morning that I will take my time and only put essentials back in there - the rest goes.

Honored Contributor

To carry on a bit with @aprilskies subjects above, I returned my one “beauty” purchase from January.  It wasn’t because it was a fail—in fact, I not only liked it, but in the short time I used it, it seemed to improve my skin somewhat.  What, then, was the reason for returning?  The price.  It was just too expensive for what it was.  I had actually ordered and then cancelled that first order because I was uneasy about it, but ordered it again.  It bothered me the whole time I had the product.  Then I sat down and figured out how much it would cost to use it for a year, which turned out to be a month and a half of my social security—for this ONE product!  Which wasn’t even replacing any of my current products, just in addition to.  I still was tempted.  Then I did a quick run-through of my expenses, much like @aprilskies has mentioned, and saw what I spent on other things—necessary and not—and all that those totaled up to.  Packaged it up right then and there.  After it was gone, I actually regretted sending it back!  My mother is rolling over in her grave.🤫

Other than that one debacle, spending wasn’t bad.  HEP, on the other hand...I can’t say my month was a total failure, but close.  I did have several days of eating well and healthy, and feeling better because of it.  Although it isn’t my prime concern, I did end up losing a few pounds.  However, I fell off the wagon near the end of the month and did what I always do: gave up because I wasn’t perfect.  Instead of just messing up a day or two and getting back on the healthy wagon, I told myself I had screwed up yet again, and since it was near the end of the month, why bother now, just wait until February.  So I went bonkers and now, not only do I have to start from point A again, I have nine pounds to lose instead of the original five I was shooting for.😡  And I feel like 💩 again.  Smart, huh?  Not.

But, “January was just practice”.😖😞

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Most people coming into my home would say there is no need to declutter, but they would be wrong. We had to move everything out of our den in order to get new flooring.  My gosh, shelves & drawers contained things we no longer need or use. I told DH this morning that I will take my time and only put essentials back in there - the rest goes.

@AuntG

Good for you!  That’s a great opportunity to declutter.  We don’t realize how much we acccumulate until it gets put all together.  And, as you say, so much of it is stuff we don’t use or need.  

And with less stuff, you will be able to see your new floor much better!😃

Respected Contributor

@geezerette,  January was just practice. Let’s get more serious in February.  It is the start of a clean month. 

I already added two products my derm prescribed for me but I think that counts for January since I paid for them yesterday so at least I am starting the month clean.  I wouldn’t of minded if they hit February. These zits have to go.  Who said aging was graceful?   The only thing I regret is having to add more products to what I already have. 

I agree with you on pricing. I can’t believe what I paid for some things last year, but this year I am being much more mindful. 

We can do better.   Let’s make Feb fun.